Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Axis 1.0 Calipers or Upgrade?

Hi Guys,

Quick help needed please.

New bike comes with Axis 1.0 Brake Calipers.

Would you upgrade to 105's for £60 now, upgrade Nrake Pads on Axis for Winter and Upgrade to better Brakes Calipers in Spring.

Appreciate any feedback.

Jahmoo

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Metalface2021 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've had Tektro Axis calipers on my winter bike 'till I switched to Endurace AL. Worst brakeset ever to be honest. Never stopped my bike properly (could have actually caused me an accident), wore out after just 2000 miles of intense braking (a friend's 105 brakes wore out after 5000 miles or so under the same braking conditions), showed worrying signs of flex from day one and kept ruining my rides. If anyone's going for a bike with Tektro brakes, upgrade them to Tiagra or 105 instantly. Believe me, these brakes are dangerous.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

tiagra calipers and swiss stop pads ... job done  1

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Why not try them first? They might be good enough. If you're not riding them back to back with something better, you might not even notice they're not quite as good as Shimano etc.

I'd probably spend the money on a saddle that I like, shorter/longer stem to suit, carbon seatpost (if not already) etc etc.

Once you've worn out the first set of pads then upgrade to new calipers or just the pads.

shmooster | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have Axis brakes on my Tarmac and not a big fan, not because they don't work as brakes (they work fine), just because they don't have the quality stamp of Shimano. They don't open as wide as 105 to get the wheel out and the lever to open them is quite stiff. Personally it's not £60 worth of a complaint, although I plan to replace the entire groupset on the bike (105 5800 or Ultegra) at some point which I think will be better value. Put some swiss stop pads on though.

Vejnemojnen | 9 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments