Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road bike for two? Can we both ride the same bike?

I am 5ft 8, she is 5ft 2. We would like to buy a Cannondale Synapse Sm 105 Womens 2014 for her but I would like to ride it sometimes as well, but it seems that even if I use a longer seat post for my rides the position might be uncomforable because of the low bars. Any ideas?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

adriank999 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The plan was that she rode the bike with nothing else on the bike, and I would carry the spare innertube, repair kit, tool kit, hot weather clothes, cold weather clothers, water, drink, etc. but occasionally I would take it for a spin as well. The carbon frame was attractive as our aluminium frames are bumpy, my old mixte rides the bumps much better and naked weighs the same as our nice Pinnacle hybrids.

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

Get separate bikes, then you can ride together.

adriank999 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Simon for the offer. The alternative is to go for two cheaper bikes, e.g the Evans Pinacles at around £400, alu frames but only 3 lbs heavier than the Cannondale. Current bikes weigh in around 30 lbs, probably a bit more with the rubbish we carry around.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

A bike that fits a 5'2" rider would be far too small for you to be comfortable.

I don't know if it's of use but the CTC magazine tested 'his & hers' Cannondales in 2012. The PDF is available via this page:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/publication/cycle-magazine/cycle-magazine-february...

They tested two women's road bikes for shorter riders in the in the June/July 2014 issue - Giant Avail and Tifosi CK7 - but that one doesn't appear to be online. The Synapse 6 and Ribble Sportive 365 get a mention as alternatives. Happy to scan it for you if it is of interest.

adriank999 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Guys

I guess we will have to try and locate some different frame sizes and try them

Mombee | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's worth a try at your local bike shop... and depends on what sort of riding your better half is planning on doing. If she's racing, then a good fitting bike will probably be too small for you... however, if you're both looking at sportives or touring, then a slightly larger frame may be more comfortable for her, and may be more accessible for you. I'm 6'1" and rode a 58cm Cannondale (road-racer with a flat top tube that I always felt was comfortable, but probably a size too large for faster riding), and my 13 year son (about 5'9"-ish) has just inherited it, and is riding it comfortably and safely.
It's also worth checking whether your other half needs a women-specific frame... it's not always the case, but the LBS will sort you out.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not at all.
All your positioning would be out, you'd need more reach not just height on the saddle.

Latest Comments