Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bicycle Indicators

While being unable to sleep I came up with a design idea.

Bicycle Indicators fitted to the back of cycle gloves. Disks roughly the same size as Knog Blinders sewn onto normal cycle gloves with three amber LEDs laid out on three sides - one towards the thumb, one towards the middle finger and one opposite the thumb. On the side facing the wrist is a rubber cover for USB charging. This way, when your arm is outstretched to indicate, your palm downwards gives visible light on three sides the same as a car.
I thought activation could be via contact between thumb and middle finger, as these never touch during normal riding. The index finger would have the material required for smart phone screens fitted.
The LEDs would flash at the same steady rate as car indicators, something car drivers expect to see.
I also thought the contacts could have small magnets built in. Not only confirming consistent flashing while indicating but providing a secondary safety feature - should you get a puncture etc, the gloves can be removed, switched on and laid behind the bike as roadside protection whilst repair takes place.
Unfortunately I don't have the time, finance or ability to do anything about this idea, hence this post. Perhaps a crowd funded (kick-starter) project?
Anyway, happy cycling!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

SB76 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Indicators wont work, drivers just seem not pay attention to your intent or road traffic before performing overtakes.

I am sick of the amount of time drivers overtaking you to immediately hit the brakes hard to either turn left or even have to stop because of queue that was there before they decided to over take.

What is needed is a return to road policing and education policy. Key point being awareness of what is around you and what is happening.

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

What about a pair of giant reflective batwings under your armpits? When you stick your arm out it will create a large triangle visible to motorists ahead and behind. Plus it will act as a sail to slow you down in time for the turn!

drfabulous0 replied to chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

What about a pair of giant reflective batwings under your armpits? When you stick your arm out it will create a large triangle visible to motorists ahead and behind. Plus it will act as a sail to slow you down in time for the turn!

Only if I can get a Bat helmet to go with it.

don simon fbpe replied to drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drfabulous0 wrote:
chokofingrz wrote:

Only if I can get a Bat helmet to go with it.

I think this idea will need lasers, lots of lasers and death stars throw at pedestrians that get in my way too.

I think that proper training and proper riding will trump these. I don't particularly like the idea that this type of product could be made compulsory and that drivers have the "but he wasn't using indicators" excuse for not seeing riders. There's enough victim blaming already.

gthornton101 | 9 years ago
0 likes

what someone needs to do is something along the line of these (but in amber)... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tacx-lumos-light-set/rp-prod74154

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You know what would be more use? A glove which sends a signal to the computer in the car behind you which prevents the idiot from making a stupid maneuver. Actually what would be better than that is to remove the airbags from all cars and replace them with a sharp, foot long spike!

severs1966 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The problem is not that motorists cannot see bike riders indicating. The problem i that they are not looking.

thereverent | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's already been done, reviewed here: http://road.cc/content/review/90317-scute-design-lumin8a-indicating-gloves

I don't think flashing gloves add much to safety, car drivers tend to ignore motorbike indicators.
Just some reflective on the back of your gloves works.

Hugor | 9 years ago
0 likes

I prefer the OP's suggestion over the linked product.
IMO cyclists should not wear anything that rigidly encircles the finger.
Google "ring avulsion" for examples of what can happen.
I've seen ring bells with the same effect.

ConcordeCX replied to Hugor | 9 years ago
0 likes
Hugor wrote:

I prefer the OP's suggestion over the linked product.
IMO cyclists should not wear anything that rigidly encircles the finger.
Google "ring avulsion" for examples of what can happen.
I've seen ring bells with the same effect.

I guess you wouldn't recommend these then?
http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/whitebarsweb.jpg?w=550&h...

Hugor replied to ConcordeCX | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wow!!
Knuckle dusters! Good for road rage I guess if your into that sort of thing!!

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

'The LEDs would flash at the same steady rate as car indicators, something car drivers expect to see.

....on a car. Not on a bike. You'd be suprised at how many drivers ignore indicator lights on bikes..

antigee | 9 years ago
0 likes

hope you don't get sleepless nights wondering why you didn't think of it sooner
from the country that claims the Hills rotary clothesline dryer as its most successful invention

http://www.theweeklyreviewbayside.com.au/story/1804748/st-kilda-roadring-invention-offers-bike-safety-in-a-flash/

believe this guy has them in production seen ad's in cycle mags

Hugor | 9 years ago
0 likes

I like it a lot!

Latest Comments