Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Strava Kudos stalkers

I starting to use Strava in August and got a random Kudos 'like' in September. I was like 'oh thats nice.' I didn't think about it much for a week, then I found a story about a guy who crashed at the ford in the Etape Cymru in 2012. I though I would pay it forward and it would be random enough so I gave him a thumbs up. So that was that.

Now in the last week I have had three new guys giving me 14 thumbs up in total. One of them is in Singapore and has given me six, including for a 9km morning commute. I am getting a bit sick of the updates and wonder why they are following me. I did sign up to the road.cc club a few weeks ago but I don't know if this is related. I don't know what to do about this or if people will just get bored of following me, but I do feel a little stalked.

Anyone else regularly send or get kudos? [Regularly from the same people, you don't know] What do you think when one arrives?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Got my first Eddie O kudos, I only did a flattish 30 miles...

tritecommentbot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Same on all social networks now. People just hit you up so you'll follow or hit them back.

Pay no heed.

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

hah...to confound matters even more...I not only log mine to Strava, but ridewithgps, mapmyride, veloviewer, RiTMO, Dailymile and Garmin Connect (I'm a data whore) ...
The latter is most annoying as after logging Strava (android app)...Garmin Connect (Garmin 500 upload) then 'doubles' up my rides...making my Strava account think I've done two rides of the same time/distance commencing at the same time...and the Kudos is usually on the recording that I delete...
...maybe that's why...(not really)...my Strava is being stalked...

Simmo72 | 9 years ago
0 likes

you can always just change your privacy, I don't see the need to tell everyone where I have ridden and what my heart rate was. Keep it to your friends and let the freaks stalk someone else.

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

i use strava to track how far i've ridden in a year, so i tend to record everything as well

Jez Ash replied to dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

i use strava to track how far i've ridden in a year, so i tend to record everything as well

Except those miles where you were using the Cateye thing...

dave atkinson replied to Jez Ash | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jez Ash wrote:
Dave Atkinson wrote:

Except those miles where you were using the Cateye thing...

i don't want to talk about that

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

he's a member of about 40 clubs, i think he just spends his life doing it or has found a way to automate the process

SamShaw | 9 years ago
0 likes

I joined the road.cc club yesterday... first Olsen Kudos this morning.

Jez Ash | 9 years ago
0 likes

am experimenting with the block function to see if Messrs Olsen and Farnsworth go away....

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Mr. Kaner, I must admit I have been stalking your VeloViewer box format all summer. It still requires some specific 'enrichment' rides to be as fine as your hedgehog.

CygnusX1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Glad I use MapMyRide instead of strava if it has this fb / Twitter style "look at /follow me" nonsense

marcusjb | 9 years ago
0 likes

It is odd, but whatever makes them happy.

I don't give kudos back to any of them. I am fairly stingy with my own, most of the people I follow, I know well and know if a certain ride is worthy of kudos.

I find it odd getting kudos on a mile ride to the shops on my shopping bike.

The block feature on strava is odd - it doesn't block them from seeing anything from within groups etc. - so you have to leave the group to get rid of the odd balls.

I have never even looked at Eddie Olsen and the others that click on every ride I do, does he ever ride a bike or does he just sit there all day clicking on thousands of rides?

truffy replied to marcusjb | 9 years ago
0 likes
marcusjb wrote:

I find it odd that anyone would upload a mile ride to the shops to Strava in the first place.

gazza_d replied to truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes
truffy wrote:
marcusjb wrote:

I find it odd that anyone would upload a mile ride to the shops to Strava in the first place.

Why? Miles is miles. A ride back from the shops with 40kg+ of shopping in the trailer can be a tough ride.

I log all my rides on Strava so I have a complete record of my cycling. I try to ride every day if possible, even if only to the shops. I use Strava as on my longer rides & especially commute the segments is fun, so it makes sense to have one cycling log website to rule them all.

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

It would appear that Eddie Olsen spreads his kudos largesse widely.....
For what it's worth, I have enhanced privacy and am a member of just the road.cc club.
It doesn't really bother me, I see it as people wanting to engage more and build a following. Unfortunately with me they've picked the wrong person !

badback | 9 years ago
0 likes

I get regular Kudos from Eddie Olsen too plus a couple of South Africans and a German on a regular basis.

Personally, unless it's something uber-exceptional I rarely give kudos for rides that are shorter than a long walk.

Bokonon | 9 years ago
0 likes

I too got one the other day from Eddie Olsen - Empire Factory Team, then one from Douglas Farnsworth_PBG both in the last week.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Galih Pw is my South East Asia guy, I now have seven from him. Small world.

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes never received random kudos until last week, then got these.

Eddie Olsen - Empire Factory Team
Galih Pw

Wouldn't know them from Adam.

pepita1 replied to wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh my...Eddie Olsen started giving me kudos several weeks back! My privacy settings are high but I still get these random kudos from peeps I don't know. Usually, the person is not from the UK but I have had one that is fairly local to me and that I decided to follow back. It's all kind of weird though and I don't really like that peeps I don't know can see my routes.

Suffolk Cycling | 9 years ago
0 likes

I never go anywhere fast enough or far enough to get any Kudos  17

Cooperdan replied to Suffolk Cycling | 9 years ago
0 likes

Same here! I'll find you and kudos your efforts (if you do mine)!!  103

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a 'kudos' stalker (from England) and one of his clubs is Road.cc...
da da daaaaaah!
The thick plottens....
(Edit: ...and 2 from California for my latest Strava upload...?????)

@ Bokonon: "I too got one the other day from Eddie Olsen - Empire Factory Team, then one from Douglas Farnsworth_PBG both in the last week".

Same two I have for this week....

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Okay, I am getting it now. One of them has over 1000+ followers. He is just seeking minions. Best to just ignore.

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

Looking at my stalkers, I've got two in California and one in Indonesia plus a couple of people who I actually follow in the UK. I can understand the people I follow in the UK doing the kudos but unknowns overseas is beyond me.

Jez Ash replied to Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes
Redvee wrote:

Looking at my stalkers, I've got two in California and one in Indonesia plus a couple of people who I actually follow in the UK. I can understand the people I follow in the UK doing the kudos but unknowns overseas is beyond me.

I've suddenly got 2 in California too. I wonder if they're the same ones!

dave atkinson replied to Jez Ash | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jez Ash wrote:
Redvee wrote:

yeah me too, started last week

stuke replied to dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:
Jez Ash wrote:
Redvee wrote:

yeah me too, started last week

and me, I no longer feel special  2

Poptart242 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I used to follow just my friends and colleagues as well as the usual pros, then joined a couple of clubs so that I could see different people's routes as I was bored with my own and seeking inspiration.

After a little while people just start peppering kudos around the place and it snowballs a bit I think. I did a boring turbo session last night that somehow has about 40 kudos.... God knows why. I tend not to reciprocate unless it's a fairly interesting (long/high/cool photos/KOMs/a combination of the above)

It's cool to follow people who live in interesting places though - there's some South Americans, Belgians, Canadians etc who I follow now - I think it's interesting to see where people go and what the scenery is like (if they use instagram).

Pages

Latest Comments