Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cassette movement

Hi,

Just bought my first road bike today and noticed the cassette moving side to side when the wheel is running freely. Please see attached video.

It doesn't look normal to me, so I thought I'd check with more experienced folk.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

bigmel | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cassette body isn't aligned with the axle correctly - either came that way or the body is loose.

SamR | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had the same problem when I bought a pair of new wheels, as the spacer behind the cassette was being moved out by some rivets which held the cluster together. My spacer had cutouts to accomodate the rivets, but they weren't aligned with the rivets, therefore the assembly was wobbling slightly, as seen in your video.

Edit: sorry, I was wrong. My problem was when the cassette was spinning, and not when it was stationary. The problem you're seeing here might be down to poor tolerances within the hub. Anyway, your LBS should be able to sort this.

urbane | 9 years ago
0 likes

A missing spacer or worn hub bearings/freewheel will cause cassette play; however it should not occur otherwise and that video looks like a duff freewheel!

A freewheel can be damaged by not using a chain whip to oppose torque wrench force to lock a cassette to the freewheel; however the design of chain whips seems crap because there is nothing to hold the free chain end tight to the cassette, so I fixed a bit of gear cable to mine.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

My freewheels do a bit of that,especially the cheap ones, but my free hubs don't.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You're right @IHPhoto, sorry.

And @wellcoordinated sure, but not that much usually.

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

Come one guys have you checked yours recently? Every free hub does this to some degree. It's perfectly normal.

FMOAB replied to wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes
wellcoordinated wrote:

Come one guys have you checked yours recently? Every free hub does this to some degree. It's perfectly normal.

Really! I just checked three bikes, there was no discernible movement of the cassette when cranked up to speed. My guess is that the original poster is either missing a spacer or that a larger spacer is required.

IHphoto | 9 years ago
0 likes

It cn't be a bent axle as the axle is held stationary. Either the cassette is not fixed in position or the freehub has a major bearing issue - often the outer one(s). I have had the latter develop and it often means a new freehub or at the very least new bearing/adjustment if they are of the free type. Most these days use sealed industrial types.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

That does look as if the axle is bent, have seen that elsewhere.

Otherwise the cassette lock ring is loose or the bearings aren't adjusted properly or something. Take it to LBS and if not satisfied with the explanation take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

mobydick64 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its worth checking, if you have the tools that is, that the cassette is properly seated on the free hub. Sometimes it can jag, but not usual with a new free hub body. Hard to tell with your video whats happening. Note that the teeth on each cog do lean left right, which is intentional as it helps the chain grab when shifting between cogs.

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

Likely you're missing a spacer or the lock ring is not tight. Just take it back to your retailer (Evans at a guess - Trek bike n'all)
And they should sort it.

stephen1986 replied to Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

thanks for commenting- not Evans - Decided to support the LBS on this occasion...

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's worth checking that:

1) cassette lockring is tight
2) more likely....the freehub needs adjusted.

Latest Comments