Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Steel v Titanium: let battle commence

I'm not sure I'll ever be lucky enough to compare a top notch steel frame with a titanium one. I've read the reviews and the supposed merits and drawbacks of each material, but does anyone have any real world experience of how they compare in handling, weight etc?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

oddbydefault | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ti is also beautiful in a way that Steel can't be. Brushed naked Ti is incomparable for a finished frame look.

This also means that if you scratch it, you can just buff over with sandpaper and it'll look good as new.

monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got three titanium bikes, two steel and a couple in carbon for good measure. I design my own custom frames in titanium and have them made in China - I currently have a 5"-tyred fat bike frame on order and love the material for it's durability and 'honesty' having worked with the material for 20+ years. Steel has a real 'zing' but titanium is better at dampening vibration, particularly if riding on typical UK metalled, pot-holed roads IME. A steel road frame feels great too but a lot depends on who builds the frame, tubing selection and geometry etc.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

got both (kinesis ti and columbus sl/xcr) ... both are nice in their own way ... not that that
helps you any  1

the ti feels nicer I over longer rides, but the steel is more "fun".

adamthekiwi | 9 years ago
0 likes

@darrenleroy: what do you call slight, what do you call significant?

Titanium is significantly less dense than steel, but steel has a significantly higher Young's modulus - so the stiffness/weight is broadly similar. It is much more ductile than steel, so much less prone to fracture (although bad welds on cheap frames can result in unexpected fractures) but has broadly the same tensile and fatigue strengths (although these vary quite a bit depending on the alloy - steel and Ti). So, ultimately, the weight difference will not be very much - but how much will depend on the frame makers choice of tubing, geometry, etc...

adamthekiwi | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got both steel and Ti framed bikes - I love both of them, they're very different; and the frame material has pretty much nothing to do with that. What affects the "feel" of a frame more than anything is the geometry and the tube profiles. Granted, different materials enable or favour different tube profiles (and geometries, for that matter) but there is a huge amount of overlap. What makes steel bikes different from titanium bikes is exactly the same as what makes one steel bike different from another steel bike, or one Ti bike different from another Ti bike.

The only meaningful material considerations are that steel is easier to repair and Ti doesn't rust. In theory, if an expert frame maker built two identical-geometry frames from each of steel and titanium, the latter would be slightly lighter, but not by much - your wallet would be significantly lighter, though, as it is harder to work and weld.

So, in short, as with all bike choices, there is only one thing that matters: pick the bike that, when you ride it, makes you smile the most. Don't worry about what it is that is causing that smile - just take it and ride with it and keep riding...

For what it's worth, my Ti bike is my hardtail mountain bike and my steel bike is my do-it-all on-road/off-road commuter/tourer/mile-muncher. If I had to reduce from my current 4 to a single bike, it would be that steel bike, but only because of what it does, not what it's made of.

darrenleroy replied to adamthekiwi | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got both steel and Ti framed bikes - I love both of them, they're very different; and the frame material has pretty much nothing to do with that. What affects the "feel" of a frame more than anything is the geometry and the tube profiles. Granted, different materials enable or favour different tube profiles (and geometries, for that matter) but there is a huge amount of overlap. What makes steel bikes different from titanium bikes is exactly the same as what makes one steel bike different from another steel bike, or one Ti bike different from another Ti bike.

The only meaningful material considerations are that steel is easier to repair and Ti doesn't rust. In theory, if an expert frame maker built two identical-geometry frames from each of steel and titanium, the latter would be slightly lighter, but not by much - your wallet would be significantly lighter, though, as it is harder to work and weld.

Why would it be only slightly lighter? Aren't there significant weight savings with using Ti?

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

£800 for custom Ti ?! I've been drooling over an Enigma Equinox (double the money) for fast riding, but surely that price is too good to be true?

graham | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been lucky. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, some good, some bad, and some very good indeed.

I used to ride a Seven Axiom. Full Ti, very, very nice. Responded incredibly well - you could feel your effort being translated into forward motion. Yet, it was comfortable enough to ride all day. Felt more 'complete' than a Giant CFR2.

The Axiom has now gone, sold after a non-cycling related crash, but I've kept a Seven Sun (original version of the Sola, mtb) which I cannot see me ever selling. It is sublime. Components may change, but the frame? Nope.

I didn't cycle for several years, but having slowly got back into it, I now ride a handmade Jim Kish steel frame. This has oversize steel tubes and is far and away the single most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. It's amazing. It's not a sprinter's bike, but you could compete on it, or you could load it up and ride for weeks.

There's more to this than the ride imbued by a particular material. It's about how the frame is made, and not just the geometry. Two frames could be made to the same spec and from the same tubes, but poor welding could turn your top-of-the-range Columbus tubing into a frame that feels as though it's made of boiler pipe.

Similarly, a cheap Ti frame won't inspire confidence and could put you off Ti for ever.

Rather than worry too much about steel vs Ti, and assuming you're in a position to do so, talk to a framebuilder - have a look here for a list. It's unlikely that many will try to 'sell' you something - most are busy enough already.

Selected carefully, both are excellent frame materials and can be built into superb riding and handling frames. Steel tends to be cheaper; Ti may be slightly lighter and more corrosion-resistant.

darrenleroy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Definitely erring towards Ti now.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have one of each. The Ti is lighter and quicker but then it was designed that way too. They are both great bikes and very comfortable. The steel is for everyday commuting, touring and winter riding, the Ti is for best. Both have proved to be very robust up to now. The shiny Ti looks a whole lot better.

0 likes

I just checked out the Ceilo Rosso site and those frames do look very good value for money.

Simmo72 replied to darrenleroy | 9 years ago
0 likes
darrenleroy wrote:

I just checked out the Ceilo Rosso site and those frames do look very good value for money.

Yep, I bought one this year. Excellent value and a good quality frame. The welding is tidy and it rides as well as my Enigma Ti which is about as good as you can get.

Custom built geometry and Neil, the owner is a great guy who gives you a lot of help in the design process.

Bike for life.

chalkboard | 9 years ago
0 likes

ridden steel all my life (i'm 54) just bought a ti frame - and I haven't ridden a steel bike since - nuff said

0 likes

Well, thanks!

Simmo72 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Putting it simply both ride well if built well. a poorly put together ti frame is going to be worse than a off the peg £150 alu frame, but get it right and its great.

Ti is generally lighter unless you fork out for stainless steel tubing which is about the same.

Stiffness comes down to frame design and quality. My ti is very tight but extremely compliant. my steel frame seems a fraction more comfortable but there isn't much in it. I use my ti 95% of the time and I certainly prefer it to carbon. I think Ti wasn't much use in its early bike years as the frames weren't stiff enough but I'm a 95kg 6ft 4 rider and don't feel it on mine.

Ti can take a lot of abuse and is great as a year round bike due to its anti corrosive properties, but as everything else on the bike is mostly alloy or carbon you still need to clean it! Ok, steel hates salt, but clean it and you won't have an issue.

it is easier to repair steel as there are more UK experts available, Ti is limited to a handful and will cost more to fix should the worst happen. Both are strong. I hit the ground hard on my ti and the only thing apart from me that was damaged was a tiny scratch on the rear stay which I rubbed off with some scotchguard, easy.

I think it comes down to weight and looks and budget. Go double butted on Ti, it is worth it. If you want something really special go for handbuilt steel in a good columbus or reynolds steel. Lots of Uk frame builders, expect to pay £900 plus

Enjoy the choosing process. I can strongly recommend Ceilo Rosso bikes in essex for a custom build Ti frame for £800.

Latest Comments