Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

In support of the the local bike shop

I bought my Forme bike from a large cycle shop after seeing it advertised on line. My LBS was doing some great deals too but never the right bike or the right size!

I have the advantage of looking out of my office window straight at the LBS on the other side of the road. I noticed yesterday that they had some SPD shoes on sale and today went back and bought some pedals, then inquired about the price of some Schwalbe Marathons.

I had my bike with me so the LBS owner replaced the pedals for me, fitted the cleats on the shoes, showed me how to adjust and wear them and replaced both tyres, how much did he charge for labour, zilch.
Of course I could have saved a few pounds, waited several days and spent two or three hours fitting them, I know what I prefer!!
PS the LBS is Selby Bike Centre, North Yorkshire.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

brooksby | 9 years ago
0 likes

My LBS sold me my bike (Mongoose hybrid, for commuting) about three years ago, and have been absolutely brilliant for after sales care - answering stupid questions ("What is this squeak, what is this noise, why does that do that") and many small adjusts that I couldn't see how to do have been free of charge. I also have the bike serviced there, and have only bought stuff elsewhere that they don't stock. They are a not-for-profit, Jakes Bikes in Bristol. I cannot recommend them highly enough  41

KirinChris | 9 years ago
0 likes

I urgently needed some rim tape and a new tyre a couple of weeks ago.

Because I live mainly abroad I often order online so it is there when I return, but in this case I was already in London and I thought it was an ideal opportunity to use the LBS. I've never been a great fan of them but what could go wrong?

They were closed... it was Wednesday. How stupid of me not to know they close on Wednesdays.

I ended up driving over to another store, Cadence, in Crystal Palace where i got what I needed.

And next time will I even bother thinking about the LBS... no.

kubla | 9 years ago
0 likes

my LBS is Philip Lang's on the Gallowgate in Glasgow

yes they are a few pounds dearer for helmets, gloves, cleets etc - but the internet does not fix my 105 shifter for free when i fall off my bike and crush it  16

fully endorse the sentiments in this thread - support your LBS these are the guys that can make cycling even more fun than it already is

LinusLarrabee | 9 years ago
0 likes

My local bike shop build their own frames, have a bit of a cult following and are collaborating with some famous people. And here's the kicker - they don't sh*t from clay. Back before the internet, one would trust their advice to be accurate simply because of their history and prestige, but now days it's much easier to find much more accurate information online. I'd never dream of taking my bike there for a repair or upgrade. Bikes are so simple it beggars belief that people don't understand how they work or how to repair or upgrade their own bikes.

howdenbiker | 9 years ago
0 likes

The likes of Ribble and Merlin will buy bikes/components directly from the manufacturers in large numbers and without retail premises will operate from much cheaper industrial warehouses.
The LBS will operate on a much smaller scale buying small quantities of a wide variety of products, often ordering to customer requirements.
It's exactly the same as Amazon who virtually destroyed all small book shops and some larger ones.

Unfortunately now customers assume that small shops will be more expensive but it is not always the case. In my small town there is a little ironmongers and they can undercut B & Q, particularly I can buy 4 1" no 10 screws instead of having to buy a box of 50.

You will find that some larger internet and retail giants will have a small line of loss leaders, popular bikes at very cheap prices, to draw people in. To go back to the ironmongers example, they cannot compete on white or magnolia paint but every other colour is cheaper.

mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

lots of reasons why merlin can undercut. Not exactly sure which the use on which components.

Grey imports, because they sell bikes they are in the position of getting deals direct rather than official distributors, bulk purchase discounts, then the simple one of by selling lots you can afford to run on tighter margins.

You have to ask what distributors make, Madison for an example on Shimano kit, look at the prices for kit from any German online retailer.

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't understand how the likes of merlin and Ribble can undercut most LBS by a large margin? I can remember before these two were Internet retailers both were LBS but even then there prices were very good. genuinely, why are some shops so expensive in comparison? Also Merlin do still have a shop offering all the normal service associated with a LBS if you live near by. I simply could not afford to shop at my LBS for the majority of my kit ect. In fact some LBS could buy the item from a cheeper shop put some profit margin on the price and still sell it for less than many LBS. Can anyone give a genuine explanation?

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Many good shops charge close to RRP and for that often fit the parts as well, it's worth it to find a good one.

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

LOL, he didn't charge you nothing for labour, he invested that money back into your future business, you've even given him a shout out on here so it was probably a shrewd call on his part as well as great service, however sadly not all LBS are like that.

Would you like to try some crack? It's free!  3

ToonSi replied to drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drfabulous0 wrote:

LOL, he didn't charge you nothing for labour, he invested that money back into your future business, you've even given him a shout out on here so it was probably a shrewd call on his part as well as great service, however sadly not all LBS are like that.

+1, that's how my LBS, Vertex:Ride in Leeds got me  35 !
TBF he does price match online sites too, so I've not really bought from anywhere else since.

drfabulous0 replied to ToonSi | 9 years ago
0 likes
ToonSi wrote:
drfabulous0 wrote:

They gave you crack?

ToonSi replied to drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drfabulous0 wrote:
ToonSi wrote:
drfabulous0 wrote:

They gave you crack?

Alas no :S, he did give me a decent filter coffee though...

Latest Comments