Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

hit by a van.. Advice please

This morning I was cycling to work and a van pulled out infront of me. I went straight into the side of him, denting his van and twisting my handlebars in the process. Fortunately I was fine, if a little shaken up. There was a witness who's contact details i took. I got his company name and his name and contacted his company who informed me that the have started the insurance process. The helmet I was wearing when the accident happened hit the van quite hard so i need to replace it. I have a spare helmet (which isn't as good) and bike (again, not as good) which i am able to use. The bike i was riding when the accident happened appears ok, other than the bars being twisted.

Should I take the bike to a bike shop now, to find out if it is ok, or should i wait for their insurance company to ask me to do so?

Should I buy a new helmet now and keep the receipt or wait for their insurance company to do something about it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is the first time that I have ever had a crash and I am not particularly sure about how to proceed.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

domd | 9 years ago
0 likes

i am a member of bc so ill look into that, and ill call my house insurance up
thanks for the advice

brokenorange | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you have any personal liability insurance, ie with your house insurance? If so contact your insurer and speak to them. Even if it's not your fault and you are not claiming on your insurance you can ask them to deal with the other insurers.

Bhachgen | 9 years ago
0 likes

Are you a BC member? If so contact their legal team for advice. If not then join online first then contact them for advice.

Latest Comments