Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help identifying and Removing 90's BB

Hi all.
Just tinkering with my mod 90's Peugeot commuter and wanted to replace the BB. Any tips on how to remove this type and what special tools are required? Only dealt with new Shimano types so am a bit lost! Thanks in advance  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

shuffc | 9 years ago
0 likes

TBH if you havent got the tools drop it in to a local shop and get them to whip it out and put a Shimano UN55 in it, as the tools to do the job will cost too much and you will never use them again.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

This is where an engineering vice attached to a dirty great bench comes in handy.

I would not bother refurbing the BB it I would drop in a UN52/UN54 or similar.

bigmel | 9 years ago
0 likes

Standard "English" bottom bracket, (24tpi).
Beware the right hand cup has a "reverse" thread so rotate clockwise to unscrew - you don't have to do this as you should be able to clean and replace the bearings from the LHS anyway.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

If it's stuck and it's threads, use 'plus gas' spray first for dismantling.

I've also put the protruding cup on these in a vice and rotated the frame if they're seized up, as the pin spanner is a bit rubbish for removal of old ones.

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

If the bike's lived outside... might be easier to cut off the entire bottom bracket shell, weld a new one on and install a new BB...

As above, this may be a tough job!

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

As stated above, unscrew the non-drive-side notched lockring anti-clockwise using (1) a C-spanner; (2) a screwdriver & mallet; if it's really on tight try expanding the metal with (3) a carefully aimed stream of boiling kettle water; and bear in mind that I did all of the above on a Peugeot BB this week and finally got it off with (4) a Dremel cutting wheel and a big hammer.

Welsh boy replied to chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

try expanding the metal with (3) a carefully aimed stream of boiling kettle water;

All expanding the metal will do is make everything a tighter fit and so make it more difficult to undo. You need to cool (like in an industrial freezer or sprays which are available for this purpose) the metal to make it smaller so increasing the gaps between the two parts.

ednabike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi

Normally left side is right hand thread (like most bolts) and right side is left hand thread, so that will give you confidence if it all seems a bit tight.

Echo what the other guys say. If the cups are worn, there is also another very helpful thread about peugeots here http://road.cc/content/forum/95706-peugeot-frame-rebuild-help.

The job itself is straightforward but depends on you getting the correct thread if new cups are involved. An easy tip, if you are about to buy some then hold the old and new side-by-side and thread-to-thread. If they interlock it will be obvious and it's much easier than trying to measure most other ways.

Good luck.
Ed

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Unscrew the big ring with a C spanner ( or if you're rough, chap it round with a driver and a light hammer.

The cup will then unscrew with a pin spanner, or a home made alternative and all the balls will fall out.

If the spindle and cups are in good condition, just clean it all up and fit new balls and grease.

TheFatAndTheFurious replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I vaguely remember one of the threads on this type of BB being left-threaded. I may have imagined that but just in case....

If you can see any 'spare' thread, see if you can spot which way the thread is going before cranking it with a spanner or chapping it with a driver/hammer.

Latest Comments