Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cateye stealth 50

A word of caution if you are considering the purchase of a stealth 50 GPS. When working its a great piece of kit but I believe there are issues regarding its durability. I received mine as a birthday present August 2013 and for 8 month it was great! Unfortunately it suddenly stopped taking a charge, I returned it to wiggle and to be honest the the customer service wasn't great but eventually it was replaced. Pleased with the end result I started using it again. Despite me taking care of the stealth as per manufacturer recommendations it has developed condensation under the screen making it impossible to read, (it's supposed to be waterproof). I contacted cateye who passed my problem on to the importer who did reply with in 48 hrs (take note Wiggle), as it is out of warranty they recommended I remove the front cover and dry it out. I Have now done this and I'm waiting for it to dry, hoping fo the best. I've also noticed the battery life is massively reduced over recent months.

I didn't expect a repair or replacement as out of gaurentee and I'm happy with the speedy response, I am disappointed with the durability of the item considering this is my second Stealth that has gone wrong. The GPS was never submerged in water or splashed though it was used on a raining ride. Sadly I recently spent £50 on a cateye ant+ heart monitor strap which will now be useless if drying out doesn't work.

I have learnt a lesson however, I should have asked for a voucher towards a garmin as the cheaper stealth appears to have been a false economy.

I'm not in a position to purchase a new GPS until after Christmas but when I do replace it I won't be buying a cateye.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Predo | 6 years ago
0 likes

I bought a cateye stealth 50 a few months ago and it worked well initially charging ok then all of a sudden I realize it's no longer charging even though it indicates so when plugged up.I am confused now because it cost a lot .I need it to be replaced.

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well I dried it out was simply a tiney anout of moisture on the screen. I contacted cat eye again regarding replacement batter. To my shock I am told they do not offer a rechargable battery so after 8 months my first stealth is replaced under guarantee as battery not holding charge then not far over a year my second is not holding a charge and is for the bin even though the internal battery is simply connected by a small plug and could easily be replaced, cateye don't offer a replacement! Quite an expensive throw away item!

Ok I used it 5-6 days per week every week because I ride a lot, I did follow the charging instructions and use guidelines from cat eye yet it's now useless! I for one will never buy an item from this company. I really did expect the item to last longer and thought maybe they woul help out of good will.

Been looking at lots of GPS reviews any advice on replacement people? Garmin?

ronin | 9 years ago
0 likes

My stealth 50 worked without issue. I always liked Cateye since I was a kid so got it as soon as it came out. The screen quality is better and Garmin...but it isn't customizable. I then got a Garmin Edge 500 as it was £80 new. What I did notice was that the elevation data was way different between the two.

Although, the back light on the Stealth 50 is much better. It's good that you can set it to come on at a certain time too.

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the heads-up. In the market for a GPS and I looked at the Stealth as a cheaper alternative to Garmin/Mio. Seems like 'cheap' goes hand-in-hand with some other adjective (and I'm not thinking 'cheerful').

Latest Comments