Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubs users...

...glue or tape?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Continental rim cement every time, though I've had nothing but bad experiences with Continentals tubs, they're too tight to get on and I've had numerous carcass failures.

I like vittoria's personally, but with Continental cement.

I just don't trust tape, I also wouldn't trust anyone else to glue mine!

I have a set of rampage record Pave rims that have 25 years of glue residue on them, cut away the snots, clean with alcohol and layer on more, no problems, indeed they are difficult to remove.

I run with Efetto Mariposa Caffe Latex in mine and carry their ZOT liquid to seal bigger holes, it actually works, I use them even in winter.

If you do have a massive failure, a used tub (I.e, stretched, glued etc. ) is readily glued on roadside, but you then are a bit cagey on fast corners .....just in case it rolls off, but they never have.

There is a damn good reason that tubs are still in use at the highest level after all these years, and far Eastern made cheapo ones like Vittoria Rally make it economic as well.

As everyone seems obsessed with 'pro' these days, I'm surprised more aren't on tubs, I'm just old enough that tubs were always just serious.

edster99 replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

There is a damn good reason that tubs are still in use at the highest level after all these years, and far Eastern made cheapo ones like Vittoria Rally make it economic as well.

As everyone seems obsessed with 'pro' these days, I'm surprised more aren't on tubs, I'm just old enough that tubs were always just serious.

I've come to like Vittorias the best. Light, fast, durable, easy to repair too.

Rallys seem to be a little bit hit and miss (some really last and never flat, some rather less so), but when I first started on tubs and wanted to get the hang of them, I rode them for a while on the basis that if I killed one or two before their natural time (learning to fix flats, for example) it was no big deal. Even they give you a really nice ride.

Vittoria Paves are fantastic for winter riding. 24 or 27 wide, bulletproof, feel great, last for ever. Occasionally you can get them from Planet-X for about £35 which is the best buy I have ever made.

Shamblesuk | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fitting tubs just requires patience. Once they're on they're on.

I use Jantex and works fine for me. My trick is to attach the tap and pull off an inch or so by the valve. Fit the tub. Then I use a small brush handle to lift the tub away from the tape. Then it's a simple case of moving the brush handle around the rim, lifting the tub as you go and removing the tape at the same time.

I'm new to tubs and it took me about 20 minutes all in to fit each one.

The security I have that my tyre is not going to explode the way a clincher tube often does and the suppleness of the ride are the main benefits. I also read that tubs are generally more puncture proof but I'm sure there are conflicting views on that. Ride throughout the summer without a problem.

I generally don't corner very fast so haven't had any concerns about the tub coming off. It feels very solid.

edster99 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Twenty quid a wheel to fit tubs! Wow. I'm in the wrong job.

There are plenty of youtube vids on how to, this one is not bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mabw5iVxpyQ

I wish I had a wheel truing stand to do this on, it would make it easier.

I would emphasise they are talking about new tubs and new rims hence using more layers of glue : once you have a tub and a rim that have been glued, one coat is plenty for attaching to another partner - its just to create a layer that binds all the rest together.

I'm not convinced about putting much / any air in the tub when you go to put it on the rim. I tend to put it on and then add a few pumps , then check for alignment. To realign the tub I tend to lift it up off the rim, then place it down again where I want it, rather than try to push it sideways in place.

I would recommend having a spare rim to put new tubs on to stretch them : pump them to 100psi plus and leave them as long as you can. That makes it soooo much easier to manipulate them.

Changing the tub : push off the tub sideways opposite the valve. Then get a plastic tyre lever in to help get it off. Get the tyre lever all the way through, then wiggle it along the rim until you can get your hand in to complete the removal process. Put a pre-glued tub on, and pump up. They do magically stick. Ride off. Dont piss about looking for the cause of the puncture until you get home. Sweet.

Jimmy Ray Will replied to edster99 | 9 years ago
0 likes
edster99 wrote:

I disagree.

In reality, starting from fresh, its at least 30mins work to fit a tub;
- 5mins gluing base tape
- 5mins gluing rim
- 5mins prepping, stretching, storing etc.
- 5mins gluing rim again (ok I got this down to 3mins when doing wheels for the team this year, but that was rushing)
- 10mins fitting, straightening, pumping etc.

Add to that labour cost, you have to add glue and most importantly, liability insurance!

£20 is not unreasonable. It sounds a lot I agree, but the cost is where it should be for what is involved.

edster99 replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:
edster99 wrote:

I disagree.

- 5mins gluing base tape
- 5mins gluing rim
- 5mins gluing rim again (ok I got this down to 3mins when doing wheels for the team this year, but that was rushing)

Add to that labour cost, you have to add glue and most importantly, liability insurance!

£20 is not unreasonable. It sounds a lot I agree, but the cost is where it should be for what is involved.

Actually, when you put it like that, maybe its not unreasonable.

step-hent replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:
edster99 wrote:

I disagree.

- 5mins gluing base tape
- 5mins gluing rim

I dunno - those sorts of times are what it takes me, and I'm a relative tub novice. For a mechanic I'd expect them to have that down to half. I've never asked in my LBS, but my Dad's LBS charges £10 a wheel - that seems a lot more reasonable to me. But hey, if they're clear about the charges and they do a good job, it's difficult to complain - particularly if you really don't want to do them yourself.

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Glue for me...

I have used both, but cross racing persuaded me that it was glue all the way.

As for a build up of glue on the rim... let it build up I say. I simply remove any large or protruding globs of glue from the rim, add another layer of glue on rim and away you go.

700c | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use glue, easier to get tyre seated right when it's wet but after a couple of changes now there is a lot of residual glue which is very difficult to remove, (vittoria Mastik'one), Unlike tape.

So six and two threes, I think. Now that I'm better at mounting them, I might revert to tape.

Take can fray and disintegrate at the edges especially in weather.

Also note Jantex tape is very annoying as the paper backing tears too easily on installation

Either method is strong enough for the job, IMO.

edster99 replied to 700c | 9 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

Also note Jantex tape is very annoying as the paper backing tears too easily on installation...

Ain't that the truth.

Super Domestique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the feedback.

Currently my tubs are glued on. Although I bought them done like that so have never used glue or tape myself (yet!).*

The tubs are looking a little tired (pun intended) and the valves are not playing ball with my screw on Lezyne pump properly! So I thought time for change. I picked up some new tubs from my LBS who fit them for £20 a wheel (with glue) although I didn't ask if that included removing the old ones, etc.

As for use, well it is just me out riding. I push it a bit at times but I'm a solo rider and do it for fun.

*any good sites / YouTube vids of 'how to'?

FMOAB | 9 years ago
0 likes

How are you going to use your tubs? Gluing is stronger but tape is more convenient. There was extensive research done by academic Chip Howat (it's worth looking up on google if you like techie detail) that showed that gluing is much stronger than taping under a variety of conditions and that Mastik 1 and Continental glues were the best performing.

If you are time trialling or not generally cornering hard, I'm sure tape will be fine, if you are crit racing or doing large descents where the rims will build up considerable heat, everything I've read makes me go with Mastik 1 glue. Yes it takes time and it has the potential to be messy, but it's quite satisfying when finished.

sneakerfrfeak | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tape, been using it for three years (as have friends I ride with) with no issues. Tried Jantex and Tufo and would def recommend the Tufo, the backing is stronger making it easier to remove an it seems to stick much stronger. Try removing a tub stuck with Tufo extreme tape and you'll question why you need to use glue IMHO.

Tjuice | 9 years ago
0 likes

I did a lot of reading before going to tubs. I ended up deciding to glue - did not like the sound of a rolled tyre, and it sounded (perhaps anecdotally, although there is some experimental research out there) as though gluing would give most secure results. I do carry a roll of tape with me in case I ever have trouble with a pre-glued spare not staying properly on the wheel, but I've not yet punctured a tub (touch wood + I only ride them in summer), so not really yet had to put this to the test.

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

Glue, but Tufo Extreme tape is bloody good.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

glue ...  1

JohnnyRemo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Glue of course - it's what the pros do...

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm lazy so I use tape. Given the effort required to remove a tub once it's been taped on, I'd be very surprised if it rotated on the rim or were affected by wet conditions.

On the plus side, tape doesn't need to go off before mounting and is probably cheaper.

On minus side, getting the tub accurately centred with most tapes can be a little tricky, the paper-backed ones especially.

If you decide to go down the tape route, I recommend Tufo tape. The backing is plastic, which makes getting centred a doddle and it doesn't break when removing it. It's quite a bit more expensive than other tapes, though, and each pack is for one tyre only. Still, you shouldn't be removing the tubs too often, especially if you stick a bit of sealant in each tyre.

edster99 | 9 years ago
0 likes

glue - ive tried tape and its ok in the dry, but not in the wet where it can rotate on the rim a bit (IME). Glue works great in both wet and dry. Its slightly harder to remove a glued tub but if you have some tyre levers to start the levering off process its not difficult. I have swapped a tub from rolling to rolling again in 3 minutes (with glue).

Latest Comments