Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How not to lock your bike up

I was walking through my local town center and saw this.

I then thought about moving it across the road to another post, with a sticky note saying "thanks for the loan, I have locked it back up again just as I found it"  10

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

thesaladdays | 9 years ago
0 likes

I believe there's an error in the title, should read:
"How to not lock your bike up"

Ratfink | 9 years ago
0 likes

Could that be a police decoy bike?
A few months ago i noticed some bikes locked with cheap cable locks in places i've never seen bikes before on my way to work, they seemed to stay a week or so.

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

a girl at my office the other day had chain locked her bike around the stem. i pulled the lock over the bars, took a photo of her now unlocked bike, and emailed her the picture.  19

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm equally amazed by that seat. WTF is that???  24

brooksby | 9 years ago
0 likes

I regularly see bikes locked with a D-lock over a sheffield stand (but *not* through any part of the bike) and then an extender cable threaded through the bike and the D-lock, so using an expensive D-lock as a really big padlock.

I suspect a lot of people think that so long as there's a lock on it somewhere then it *looks* locked up and its safe (regardless of whether the lock is actually, er, locking the bike to somethign solid).

NeilG83 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not a very clever cyclist, however this is how David Cameron had his bike stolen a few years ago and now he's Prime Minister.

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

At work the other day, a nice hybrid was locked up nicely with a kryptonite lock and wire to a Sheffield stand. I mean, next to a stand, because whomever forgot to get the shackle around the stand...

I put it in the locked shed, but...

Basically, my nightmare!

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

Obviously needs locking up cause of the dual front braking system.

In my time I've seen a bike D-locked to a wooden chair and all you had to do was lift the chair out of the lock. Strolling through Bristol centre one night I spotted three disc braked hybrids with the wheels unlocked but the frames were locked to sheffield stands.

cjwebb replied to Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes
Redvee wrote:

Obviously needs locking up cause of the dual front braking system.

It might look like it has two brakes, but neither actually do anything. (The disc has no calliper and the rim brake is disconnected!)

Therefore alas any unsuspecting thief would crash into the back of the next bus, and get their just desserts!

Latest Comments