Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet X

I am interested in buying a Planet X pro carbon
Ultegra 6800, having looked around for a while
now, this bike seems a very good buy.
What are your wise thoughts?? Is it a good buy
or is it cheap for a reason??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

kennethsross | 9 years ago
0 likes

Presently waiting in hope that Planet-X 2015 range of Pro-Carbon or RT-58 are going to come disc-brake equipped. Quite happy to wait until next year for that, as I feel it's the way forward in endurance type bikes.

BigAl68 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have my planet x rt58 flying at 60 to 70kmph downhill and never have had any handling issues. Ordering bits off them however is always a bloody nightmare and yodel, well it's yodel.

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've never experienced this issue with steering.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

My first carbon bike was a Planet X pro carbon. I followed their online sizing advice and it was far too big. So I had to sell it. Bad sizing advice.

I also had the same experience of Yorkshire Whippet above, at above 25 mph the steering was frightening. I've never had a bike feel like it was understeering at high speed before.

Since then I got a Canyon Ultimate AL and couldn't be happier. It weighs no more than the PX, much stiffer where it needs to be and just as comfortable. Bike design has really come on, the PX pro carbon was a good bike and it's cheap, but there are better bikes available now.

That said I've bought a number of parts etc from the PX online store over the last years and not had problems with them.

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet X Pro Carbon frame is a good starter. I've had one for over 5 yrs. Yes the wheels are not as good as others but that's the trade off for a nice frame and gruppo. The wheels aren't that bad anyway. I changed the bearings after 5K of riding in all weathers. They were still straight when I sold them.

One downside of the older frame was the vagueness of the steering at speeds above 25mph. The higher the speed the more petrified I was and put it down to being a wuss. I also had the same problems with Planet X's RT-58. Another bike proves that it was the frame not me, Well, the nice little flashing sign on Cow and Calf tells me I'm above speed limit more often than not.

Vejnemojnen | 9 years ago
0 likes

Canyon-Radon-Rose. Oh, germans.

PX bikes are cheap because of the finishing kit-wheels-tyres are often not up to the level of the gruppo-frame.

Canyon sells bikes with very decently weighing finishing kit. That's why their bikes are much lighter than similary specced PX bikes. I'd go with canyon or with rose becaue of the costumisation they offer...

backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

Got the matte black Pro Carbon SRAM Rival a few months ago, AWESOME!!! can't complain! Amazing bike, super light, looks ridiculously sick!
Just had to re index the gears after a month or so, but think that happens with most bikes!

Would defo recomend! really good value for money!

Was gonna get the ultegra 6800 when it was £999, but missed out by a 30 minute price change. So went for the SRAM Rival at £999 instead.
I'd never had a shimano or sram, so wasn't too much of an issue, SRAM rival seems really smooth and lighter and would save you a few hundred quid!

Planet X were really helpful along the way, had an issue with delivery but that was down to crappy Yodel, who i think Planet X were getting rid of.

farrell replied to backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

Planet X were really helpful along the way, had an issue with delivery but that was down to crappy Yodel, who i think Planet X were getting rid of.

Still using them.

I say using, the items still have to get out of the warehouse to Yodel before they get their chance to use knock-a-door run.

Mr BiB | 9 years ago
0 likes

That is my question is the Canyon worth the extra
£300 for a similar speced machine!!!!

redmeat replied to Mr BiB | 9 years ago
0 likes
Mr BiB wrote:

Probably, yes.

IngloriousLou replied to redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes
redmeat wrote:
Mr BiB wrote:

Probably, yes.

Canyon bikes are good enough for 2 UCI WT teams. I think you'd be very happy with one.

Ticking off items on a spec list is only part of the decision, for example PX offer a 2 year frame warranty, Canyon 6. Canyon supply Mavic wheels in most cases whereas PX wheels are often their inhouse brand or 2nd level kit like FSA or Gipiemme.

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not sure what their bikes are like but for parts Planet x are a sack of utter bleeding shite.

Their website claims that they aim to ship same day on orders placed before three. I placed my order, before three, last Tuesday. This morning I get an email telling me that one of the items I had ordered (a cheap £1:50 MTB inner tube) was out of stock.

Eight frigging days after they said my order was supposed to be shipped and now they turn round and tell me part of my order isn't in stock? So I now need to get back in touch with them, change my order and then presumably wait for them to despatch it all again, which will no doubt take even more time. Ridiculous. That's two weekends on the bounce that I have missed working on a bike due to not having the parts, despite ordering them in good time. I've contacted them twice as well to ask when the order was going to be despatched and received no response.

The last time I ordered a load of stuff off them they dragged their arses for over a week before finally sending it out but they did apologise whilst pointing out that they were busy due to the Tour de France. I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but after this latest debacle Planet X can stick it right up their bollocks.

I'm very narked off due to them this morning.

Martyn_K | 9 years ago
0 likes

Depends on what you are wanting to get out of your bike really and what you are replacing/ upgrading from.

Planet X Pro Carbon are great bikes for the money my missus has an older model and she loves it. In fact she regularly out performs others in the club who have bikes costing two or three times more.

Having ridden her bike i found it a bit soft for me. I'm used to pure race bikes so have gotten used to stiff frames with instant power transfer.

Have a think about your riding style, what you want from the bike and read plenty of online reviews.

Shanefutcher | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet x make the best bikes out there kitted with the best specs.simple!!!

Leviathan replied to Shanefutcher | 9 years ago
0 likes
Shanefutcher wrote:

cough#canyon#cough

James Warrener replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:
Shanefutcher wrote:

cough#canyon#cough

*Cough* Rose *Cough*  3

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got one, just over 3000 miles on it now. No problems. It's a good bike.

Latest Comments