Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Smelly Gloves

Has anyone got any tips on how to try and prevent gloves from developing that sweaty glove stink  31 ? After owning a pair for a short time, mine begin to smell pretty stale. I find that even after washing them, they pick up the smell again after a wear or two. Alternatively, has anyone developed gloves that actively fight getting smelly so quickly?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

The above tips are great.
As with any other clothing, don't wear the same thing day after day. 2 pairs of gloves, alternating day by day is the way forward. As with shoes - give 'em time to dry. And hand hygiene helps, obv.

Ideally with gloves, though, wear for one day then wash them, using the second pair on day 2. If you get in from a ride, stick gloves on radiator ready to use the next day, all those lovely bugs on the snot wiping area will sit and multiply in the warmth and make you proper sick in no time. Cue endless colds.

Alternative to washing daily is to give them a quick squirt with alcohol hand sanitising spray before bunging them on the rad...

farrell replied to andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

Alternative to washing daily is to give them a quick squirt with alcohol hand sanitising spray before bunging them on the rad...

Now, that does sound like a cracking idea.

notfastenough replied to andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

The above tips are great.
As with any other clothing, don't wear the same thing day after day. 2 pairs of gloves, alternating day by day is the way forward. As with shoes - give 'em time to dry. And hand hygiene helps, obv.

Ideally with gloves, though, wear for one day then wash them, using the second pair on day 2. If you get in from a ride, stick gloves on radiator ready to use the next day, all those lovely bugs on the snot wiping area will sit and multiply in the warmth and make you proper sick in no time. Cue endless colds.

Ooh, it's like the WI in here!  4 Handy tip, that. Most of my kit goes straight in the wash, but I'm not very good at including gloves every time.

farrell replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Ooh, it's like the WI in here!

Watercarriers Institute?

richdirector | 9 years ago
0 likes

Same as the trick to stop mold in your mtb camel bak *(i store mine in the freezer 7 years later still clear).... put your gloves in a plastic bag and leave in the freezer for a couple of nights. The cold will kill the microbes and then a wash in bicarb followed by warm water and lemon will improve the smell.

Tjuice | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've also found that a good soak in some kind of disinfectant/antiseptic (and a dose in *with* the washing liquid in the washing machine drawer) works nicely. I happen to use Savlon (the one in the blue bottle).

I might try both savlon and bicarb in my gloves next time and see what happens (besides the inevitable frothing...)

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

another vote for sodium bicarb. If it will remove the smell of milky baby sick from carpet then it do for your gloves. It's also good for water bottles and camelbaks bladders if they taste really plasticky.

notfastenough replied to joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes
joemmo wrote:

it will remove the smell of milky baby sick from carpet

Well I'm finding out all sorts of relevant uses for this today!  4

joemmo replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:
joemmo wrote:

Ha, yes it's a life saver. Scrape as much up as you can then dose the area very generously with bicarb and let it soak up the rest. Neutralises the stomach acid you see...

Another thing to try on stinky gloves is wetsuit shampoo, any watersports shop should have it.

farrell replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:
joemmo wrote:

It's a definite lifesaver mate, my wife was stunned at how well it worked bringing a BabyBjorn carrier back to as good as new. (By the way, It's up to you whether you wish to share this newfound knowledge with your other half, or you may want to just silently work the magic, take the Brownie points and run!)

Pro-Tip: It works best in a finer powder form, however, sometimes the powder will clump up, under no circumstances decide to remove the lumps by crushing them up with something credit card sized. Somebody will walk whilst you are doing this, or see you through the window and nobody will believe you when you explain.

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

I always have Bicarb in the house, brilliantly handy stuff although it was only a couple of years ago I realised that not everybody grew up using it like my mam did.

Have a look here:
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/51-fantastic-uses-for-baking-soda.html

(No.44 for "sneakers" if you need confirmation)

farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sprinkle some Bicarbonate of Soda in them perhaps?

It works alright for shoes.

And mattresses apparently, although I've not actually checked that one myself.

notfastenough replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

Sprinkle some Bicarbonate of Soda in them perhaps?

It works alright for shoes.

And mattresses apparently, although I've not actually checked that one myself.

Never heard that before - my shoes really start to whiff after a couple of wet rides. Is it as simple as that - just sprinkle a bit in?

thesaladdays | 9 years ago
0 likes

The only way I've ever found to minimise the rankness is to make sure they always get plenty of ventilation after every use. At home I hang them up on the coat rack or on the radiator to dry in the winter, at the office they're on my desk but 'open' so that the air can get everywhere. Seems to work well enough to the point that I don't notice any smell.

I learned to always do that after once chucking a pair of winter gloves in a drawer and nearly losing conciousness the next time I wanted to put them on.  31

Latest Comments