Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is ProBikeKit struggling?

In the last year I have bought lots of stuff online from the likes of Wiggle, Chain Reaction, ebay and Castelli Cafe. I also bought some Jagwire cables and cutter from Probikekit. Now I get emails with discount offers EVERY SINGLE DAY. I do like a bargain so I don't want to block these but I don't need new kit every day. I do get the odd email from Wiggle with offers but once a week hardly annoys me, it more peaks my interest. It is getting to be like Sofa ads from PBK, endless sales, and I have to wonder why they are so desperate. They seem a bit needy, like Morrisons to Wiggle's Tesco. Should I unsubscribe?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

korblimey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I simply won't use PBK anymore. Bought some Cosmic Carbones from them this year which arrived damaged in a shipping box that had actually been punctured by the wheel hubs. Inside a few bent spokes, paint damage and various other dings. And no rear skewer! They hadn't been properly packed and were missing the plastic wheel guards you normally get with new Mavic wheels. PBK refused to exchange or refund and said 'go repair and we'll pay'. So I was sent packing off to Sigma Sport to get the spokes replaced and wheels trued myself. But I was still left with new £600 wheels that were still marked, scrapped and with dings that suggested that they were returns PBK had resold. I got £50 back from PBK having paid Sigma £25. And £5 more for a 2nd hand rear skewer. Totally lamentable. In a seperate transaction it also took me 2 months and around 10 emails and 5 phone calls to get a refund on bib tights I'd ordered but which they couldn't supply. Infuriating. I must admit I'd used PBK for a around 2 years previously with no problem. But never again.

J90 | 9 years ago
0 likes

They're rarely the cheapest online anyway, but I have bought 2 items off them that were a few quid cheaper than Wiggle and Chain Reaction, both items were sent quickly enough though. Wiggle is still the king for all things cycling online.

sneakerfrfeak | 9 years ago
0 likes

I recently had a bad experience with them. Bought a Gilet that developed a fault after a few months (but only used a few times). They couldn't replace it as they'd sold out, but told me I could have a credit on my account. They apparently couldn't refund me as it was a "warranty issue". I pointed out my consumer rights at which point they refunded me as "a gesture of good will". I had to chase them a number of times as they couldn't be bothered to reply to my messages and they didn't offer to pay the return postage even when I raised the issue with them. STAY AWAY FROM THESE SHARKS!

Sidi 700c | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought some Lusso legwarmers from http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/.

They came to me with two holes in them so i sent them back. What did they do? Send them right back to me.

I reported them to the relevant government body and never went back to them. I also trash talk them every opportunity i get.

Leviathan replied to Sidi 700c | 9 years ago
0 likes
Sidi 700c wrote:

They came to me with two holes in them so i sent them back. What did they do? Send them right back to me.

I reported them to the relevant government body and never went back to them. I also trash talk them every opportunity i get.

Isn't there supposed to be two holes in a pair of leg warmers? #Topology101

joemmo replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:
Sidi 700c wrote:

Isn't there supposed to be two holes in a pair of leg warmers? #Topology101

Topologically a tube only has one hole so I suppose a pair of leg warmers would have two holes, you know, if you want to be pedantic...

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

They were my favourite for a long time, but they got bought out by The Hut group, who are internet clothes mongrels and it all got a but impersonal then, no more free gifts, lost all my loyalty points etc.

Basically unless I'm buying it locally, for service and convenience, I but from the cheapest on tinternet, I have zero on line loyalty.

Leviathan replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

They were my favourite for a long time, but they got bought out by The Hut group, who are internet clothes mongrels and it all got a but impersonal then, no more free gifts, lost all my loyalty points etc.

Basically unless I'm buying it locally, for service and convenience, I but from the cheapest on tinternet, I have zero on line loyalty.

The Hutts are a bunch of gangsters.

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

of all the online retailers I buy from regularly, PBK is certainly the one that has disappointed the most in sending the wrong stuff, selling out of stuff I ordered, asking me to send proof of return postage etc; just generally not very user friendly. I've not bought from them now for a while as it's just too much hassle if something goes wrong.

kitkat | 9 years ago
0 likes

yep, no probs with PBK and all of the main on-line retailers spam like crazy  29

FSR_XC | 9 years ago
0 likes

All the discount cycle websites send information out nearly every day.

My own personal experience of ProBikeKit has been excellent. orders come through quickly and they have always sorted any issues quickly and effectively.

BikeBud | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't necessarily think they're in trouble, but I don't think they're very good.

Many of the offers are "savings" off RRP, and so the price is often the same or more than you'd pay anywhere else. I did try to buy a jersey that was on sale, but after taking my order I got a series of confusing emails that (it turned out) told me they'd sold out so I wasn't getting one. They'd sold out of their "sale" stock, but had more available at full price. I then got emails asking if I was enjoying my purchase, with suggestions of other products I might like to buy. Lo and behold when I clicked on the links those products weren't even on the website anymore.

Unless they had a mega mega deal I wouldn't buy from them, and I'd still expect to be disappointed!!!

James Warrener | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have blocked PBK.

I thought they were online pioneers at the start but have been comfortably overtaken in range and value terms by Wiggle and Chain Reaction.

The Planet X emails are as frequent but their value does quite often tempt me in to buy, so they do something right !

Martyn_K | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's Autumn. Warehouses are full of 2014 kit and components. Companies are trying to make room for next years stock.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I get daily from Wiggle, Evans, CR, Planet X and a few others, they are all at it.

Everyday with a different offer.

Latest Comments