Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Failure of Campagnolo Centaur Powershift ergo

About 6 weeks ago, I was out for a ride, and just nearing home I got out of the saddle to get up a rise. Just as i did the right hand hand ergo lever body seemed to fail, then twisted and sent me over the bar. In the resulting fall I nearly lost my little finger and dislocated my wrist. Not great, especially given I'm a self-employed furniture maker.

I have been using Campag ergos for the last 10 years without a single problem, prior to this. In the early years I never bothered with a torque wrench, but over the last few years since i started riding carbon bars I have used one. In this case I had used a calibrated Norbar wrench to install the ergos and tightened them to the specced 10 Nm.

The ergos were nearly new and have never crashed or bashed. I just wondered if anyone had heard of or experienced a similar failure?

Thanks

Rich

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

catchweasel | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the information. I had checked before that the Easton EC90 Aero bar was compatible and having looked again at Easton's site I can't find the radius of the bar but it states clearly that it is compatible with Campagnolo shifters.

As to the installation of the levers, these were midway round the curved part of the bar, which looks to be in line with Campag instructions.

As I mentioned before I have been a very happy Campag user for many years, but after this experience I'll be very wary of the new shaped levers. I might be overreacting but you didn't have to look at your own little finger hanging off.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've seen a chorus ultrashift do exactly the same and was down to the shape
Of the bars as velotech graeme points out.

velotech_cycling | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Mike

Sorry to hear that you have had this problem ...

Campag Ergopower levers should only be fitted to handlebars with a specific radius range in the area where the body is tightened - hence even if the particular 'bar "looks" like the right radius in the 'bar maker's technical notes, you have to take account of the fact that fitting too high or too low on the bar can also cause a problem.

Campagnolo's technical notes do show this - you can find them here:

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_22_Technical%20manual%20-%20Me...

I don't know the exact dimensions of the Eastons but this might be worth checking before looking at replacement levers are fitted ...

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Main Campagnolo SC, UK :: National standard training for cycle mechanics

0 likes

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm not feeling too sorry for myself - in 35 years of cycling I've been remarkably injury free and in this case I figure anything you can walk away from isn't too bad.
I have been in touch with Merlin Cycles from whom I bought the levers. They are making sympathetic noises and have asked me to return the broken ergo.
I'll let you know what happens.

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

I run Campag' Centaur on my best bike and your post has prompted me to check the area around my securing clamps. They appear to be fine with no hairline cracks or chips. Not that it's any consolation for your ill fortune.

I'm pretty careful with my bikes but just occasionally I've had one fall to the ground, I guess it's part of cycling. And in my experience it's often the shifters that take the brunt of it. (Despite my best efforts my year-old Tiagra hoods are already scuffed and scarred.) Could it be that you have done the same and weakened the moulding?

Anyway, better luck.

0 likes

Thanks both. I'm 13 stone and have been there or thereabouts for all the time I've been using Campag ergos.
I wondered vaguely whether it might be something to do with the fairly sharp curve of the Easton Ec90 bar I've been using, maybe not giving enough surface area for the ergo to seat itself on. That said, they must designed for use on pretty much every bar.

IngloriousLou | 9 years ago
0 likes

http://doctord.co.uk/

Doctor D will most likely be able to repair it for you. He's a craftsman.

See his FB page for the way he strips and rebuilds bikes with outstanding attention to detail.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor-D/151367174964293

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Excuse the indelicate question, but how much do you weigh?

That said, this is equipment failure in normal use and you should get a free replacement. Go back to the dealer and complain loud and clear (but politely).

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Excuse the indelicate question, but how much do you weigh?

That said, this is equipment failure in normal use and you should get a free replacement. Go back to the dealer and complain loud and clear (but politely).

Latest Comments