Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

An entry-level hybrid (under £500) for a 5' tall woman

I recently got into cycling as part of my training for my first triathlon this year (after being shamed into it when my 69-year old mother did her first!), and found that it is my favourite discipline of the three. I have been encouraging my 2 kids (9 and 6 year old boys) to cycle more and just took the eldest for a 15km SkyRide around the local area (can't recommend the SkyRide service highly enough!).

With winter approaching, I have entered a duathlon in November, and my wife, who is actually far fitter than me, has said she'd like to have a go - but up until recently has never really cycled that much (mainly for fear of having to take her hands off the bars when indicating). We went to the New Forest over the August Bank Holiday and had fun with some rented MTBs bouncing over some gravel trails and she is now ready to get a bit more serious about it all.

To that end, I have been looking to get her an entry-level hybrid (she has no interest in getting lycra'd up and crouching low over drop bars) with the following criteria:

• Lightweight (I have an old steel Trek FX and while it's great for training, it's a bit of a beast)
  • Appropriate for her size (she is 5' and oddly enough the Boardman Hybrid Fi is only suitable for women who are 5'4" and above, which given that the AVERAGE height of women is 5'4" makes you wonder what they think those who are under it are meant to ride?)
  • Enough gears to not make hills too much of a chore, but not too many to make it overwhelming.
  • I was thinking that disc brakes might make her feel more confident - but never tried them myself, so just going on what I have heard/read.
  • Comfortable - I realise that there are female-specific geometry, seats, etc. - but don't know how much of a difference that actually makes?

To that end, I have drawn up a short-list, and would love some feedback on whether there are any great/awful bikes to look at/avoid:

Trek 7.2FX Hybrid (£340)
Cannondale Quick 6 Women's Hybrid (£380)
Pinnacle Lithium 2 Women's Hybrid (£400)
Specialized Vita Women's Hybrid (£400)
Specialized Sirrus Hybrid (£400)
Trek 7.2FX WSD Hybrid (£425)
HOY Shizuoka .000 Hybrid (£475)
Trek 7.2FX Disc (£475)
Pinnacle Lithium 4 Women's Hybrid (£550)

I haven't put the Boardman Hybrid Fi (which I could get for under £400 with my BC discount), because of the sizing - but if anyone knows that it would still be suitable, I'd certainly want to add it to the list.

thanks in advance

S

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Check out the new 2015 Focus Planet and Arriba bikes. Very good quality. My mates wife has just got the Arriba 2.0, cracking bike for the cost, i think it was about £600, which is more than you wanted to pay but try and get it on the cycle scheme so its cheaper.

The Spare | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am a 4'11" lady rider. I've had a Specialized Vita for two years and it is great on hills and very comfortable. Last year I cycled with it along the coastal roads of South-west Wales with no trouble (think of going up and down the teeth of a large comb). It's very easy to adjust the saddle height and the reach, and the step-over is not stupidly low.

I still haven't got used to having 27 gears to play with! They cover a sensible range, and most of the time I find the 9 gears on the middle chainwheel are quite enough. The brakes are v-brakes and extremely effective - having just changed the brake blocks I have to go easy at junctions, so as not to overdo the braking. The bike is not ultra-lightweight but I have no trouble picking it up and fitting it into the car,on my own.

Latest Comments