Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First post and hello as I've been

As I've lurked for a little while I thought I had better say hello and poke my head above the parapet.

I've committed myself to riding in a sportive next year for charity following the loss of our daughter on the 10th of August as I'm determined to see something good come of the whole thing. The Tour de Mon was held the week after our loss and I got the stupid idea to take part in the next one.

Perhaps not a big deal for many of you reading this but as my last time on a road bike was in 1996 and ended in a heap in casualty I've only ever ridden mountain bikes since. Even then I'm easily 14 years out of the saddle. Since then I've become somewhat generously proportioned and unfit. I hope that in committing myself to this that I not only manage to raise a bit of money but also improve my own health in the process.

I've tried a few bikes and felt most comfortable on a Cannondale Synapse so have a 2015 105 disc on its way, I'm working on the assumption that super lightweight and racy won't necessarily suit a 110kg lump plodding around the lanes here in Anglesey so went for comfort with what seems a decent spec. Mind you, do they make 'Wide Load' signs for bikes these days? I've a feeling I'm going to need one...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

phatboy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wow, thanks for such a kind welcome and your words of encouragement.  4

I'm lucky to call Anglesey home and work so I'm surrounded by countless quiet roads and just a few miles from the main Lon las Cefni cycle route so plenty of space to stretch my legs. I'm told that my Synapse will be with me in a week so in the meantime I've put touring tyres on my MTB and have been really just playing along the local trails to find my riding confidence again. I'll keep you all updated as I go. PS, what is an Audax?

Simon E replied to phatboy | 9 years ago
0 likes

You can do lots on a slick-shod MTB. That's all I had for a few years. If I was up where you are I'd go to Newborough Forest on it.

phatboy wrote:

what is an Audax?

The wikipedia page says it is "a cycling sport in which participants attempt to cycle long distances within a pre-defined time limit".

So it's a bit like a sportive but without the banners, the goodie bag and the promotional crap you didn't really want anyway. No signs, no sag wagon to mend a puncture or photographer to record your great achievement for posterity.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Welcome, and well done for trying to stay positive. On a lighter note, that sounds like a good choice of bike. I took mine to Beaumaris on holiday but couldn't shake my knee injury, so it just sat in the corner looking sad. Lovely area though!

You've probably noticed that while lurking that there's a fair few people on here that lurk in the 80-120kg range, so just get stuck in. With any luck you'll find that getting out on the bike should provide you with an emotional lift in addition to physical fitness.

Popmpey2W1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Phatboy,

Just to say I was touched by your post, and to give you a small word of advice...

I was quite overweight two years ago when I returned to road cycling (I still did MTB, but got by on having ridden them since the 80s so some small amount of skill and having the downhills compensated somewhat), and I'd have to say:

- I took me a while to learn, or at least convince myself, that the key to getting fit for long rides is not to kill yourself every time you get on a bike. Just stick with what you're comfortable with, and build up how often you ride first, then how far.

- Interval training is great, but it does a specific job (gives you extra power and capacity that'll be handy on the hills in particular). Don't do too many too early though, and be prepared for feeling like you may die the first few times you do them - you won't. Don't overdo them.

- Join a club. Really, just do. They're mostly very supportive and it'll help you to have a regular longish ride. There'll be lots of other returnees too, so don't worry about feeling out of place.

- Don't worry too much about weight loss. If you do the above, it'll just happen. Eating the right stuff, and not too much, will help, but focus on getting out and riding - overdoing it will just mean losing muscle over fat.

- Above all, have fun. If it gets to the point that you don't look forward to riding, give yourself a short break and come back to it fresh.

Hope this helps with the practical side. Good luck, and I hope you find some peace in your time on the bike.

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Welcome Phatboy. I also have suffered with losing a daughter in a very traumatic way. She was only 19 and was taken from us by her ex boyfriend. This was in 2008 and so some people think you move on. You don't. You just learn to cope with your mental state on a day to day basis. We set up a charity in our daughters name it's The AmyLeigh Barnes Charitable Foundation. We have raised over £50000 in the last 5 years which we use to provide help and support to young people who may be suffering with domestic violence. I hope you can find some peace in your cycling and I myself am similar in that I only ride a MTB at the moment but am in the process of buying a road bike through the cyclescheme to complete a charity ride from St Albans to Bolton next year. I wish you all the best in the future

Beatnik69 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Welcome Phatboy. All the very best for the sportive.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

Welcome phatboy. I hope you find you can turn the terrible loss into something positive.

The Tour de Mon looks a great route in a lovely place, and you won't struggle to find nice routes to ride in the meantime. I love riding on Anglesey when visiting my parents in Bangor. There are groups that do rides, including Clwb Rasio Mona, the leisurely paced Sunday rides are linked from the homepage. Knowing others are heading out can provide some motivation to ride when you're not feeling so great or the weather's a bit crap.

There are audax events on Anglesey too, they have a more relaxed atmosphere than sportives (and superb value at £3). Have a look at organiser Jasmine Sharp's website at http://audaxbangor.weebly.com/
You don't have to be an Audax UK member to take part.

"You're better than you think you are. You can do more than you think you can".

Will look forward to some updates.

SideBurn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not wanting to set the bar too high or anything  4
But have a look at this;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/11007009/Running-tips-f...
I am not saying that you should be choosing which international event to enter, but if it is possible to go from a 16 stone smoker to international class athlete then the sportive next year is definitely 'on'.
However paradoxically I think you should ignore stories like this. Make sure you get out regularly, even if it is, 'just a short one'. Try and stick to 80 to 90% of the pace and distance you can manage (just challenge yourself now and again). Enjoy  4

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hello, welcome and my condolences for your loss. I can not begin to imagine the pain of losing a child and I hope that your time on the bicycle provides you with some solace.
You have chosen a fine bike which I am sure will serve you well. There of plenty of late "returnees" who find their time on bikes more than just a form of exercise.
Good luck with your goal and keep us posted on your progress

Latest Comments