Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike

Evening all,

I am looking at upgrading my Raleigh Avanti Carbon Comp in the near future.

The two bikes I've been looking at are the new Fuji Transonic 2.1:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/transonic-21-2015-road-bike-ec0...

And the Specialized Tarmac SL4:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Tarmac-SL4-Comp-Di2-2014-Road-Bike_6...

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Because of the negativity around Spesh and the Roubaix thing, they would need to offer a significantly better package for the same or less money before I would consider one.

And let's face it, most decent laid up moulded carbon frames from the big boys are just 'different' none are actually 'better' just get the one you like, with geometry that suits you.

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

As a consumer the issue is the continuous use of litigation to bully smaller companies, the most notable recent incedent was the case of a small local bike shop in Canada called Cafe Roubaix, although not only did it turn out that they don't own the trademark "Roubaix" but use it under licence from Fuji, there was no such agreement in place for Canada. Also it's the name of a French town with strong roots in cycling history, not a brand name. Some people, myself included won't buy their products because of this behaviour, despite the fact that many are quite good.

Also they are kinda common which puts off some people, obviously not too many though as they are kinda common.

As a mechanic I have found the quality of assembly out of the box to be quite low compared to comparable brands, which increases the build time. However this is probably not a bad thing from the end user's point of view and I believe Spesh accepted this point and compensated with a small increase in the dealers' margin.

Slide89 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys.

At the risk of throwing stones at the bees' nest, what is the supposed problem with Specialized?

Ta

rnarito | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 with Chuck

Don't worry about everyone else, buying a bike is an individual experience. Buy the one that fits you best, fits your budget and looks great. I don't own Fuji or Specialized, but I'm sure they're both good bikes. Personally, I recommend Cannondale. Fantastic bikes!

MaxP | 9 years ago
0 likes

Go for the Fuji. Every one and there dog has Specialized who are a evil company.

Chuck replied to MaxP | 9 years ago
0 likes

Get the one you like the most, preferably after a test ride.

MaxP wrote:

Go for the Fuji. Every one and there dog has Specialized who are a evil company.

Who cares what everybody else is riding? And if you're talking about Specialized's recent history of lawyering up I think you're kidding yourself if you think that Fuji or any of the rest of them are above that sort of thing.

Binky replied to Chuck | 9 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:

Get the one you like the most, preferably after a test ride.

MaxP wrote:

Who cares what everybody else is riding? And if you're talking about Specialized's recent history of lawyering up I think you're kidding yourself if you think that Fuji or any of the rest of them are above that sort of thing.

Calm down dear. It was written in 'jest' .

I would still go for the Fuji if i was to choose between the two of them.

PS it was Fuji that stepped in and told Specialized, that they were in the wrong.

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well I cannot comment on the Fuji but I do own a Tarmac Comp.
Mine has the manual Ultegra 11speed and crappy Mavic Wheels came with it, but the linked bike has nicer Fulcrum 5's
The Tarmac Geometry is very racy but if that is what you want then it is a great bike. For faster rides I put Campag Eurus wheels on and the difference is very noticeable and turns it into a thoroughbred.
I am about to buy a Canyon CF SLX, some good end of season prices to be had for a high spec bike. https://www.canyon.com/roadbikes/series/ultimate-cf-slx.html

Latest Comments