Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best toe covers for SPD/commuter shoes

Hello all,

On my commute I wear SPD shoes with a smooth sole, the sort that the cleat are recessed into so that when you walk it doesn't scrape the floor.

I've been using some very good (Galibier.cc) toe covers for about the last year on chilly/damp rides (when I don't need the full overshoes), which from the start were stretching around the area towards the rear of the cleat. Recently they have been becoming torn and may soon have to be repaired/binned.

The problem seems to be that because the SPD cleat is recessed, the toe covers wriggle forward slightly and get pinched when clipping/unclipping. Looking at the toe covers on the market now, it looks like they will all do the same because none of them have anything to anchor them to the shoe so that the rear of the opening in the sole doesn't foul the cleat.

So, my question is, does anyone know of any that will work properly with SPD shoes? There must be some out there that are designed for the job!

Thanks in advance,
Nick0

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

DHB toe covers from wiggle, I commute all year and I have had 18 months out of this pair so far. Cheap as chips.

Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Found these, ordered a pair (not from this seller)

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Short-Shoe-Cover_69399.htm

and the stitching on the heel strap came apart on the first fitting!!!

Swami Dave | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been using Mavic's toe warmers on a pair of their Razors (now Rush) and they've been great. They have silicon beads on the elastic hem to grip them to your shoe and the pull tab on the front can be anchored under the top strap of your shoes. Never had a problem with them moving and all contact points are reinforced.

Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

My kind of thinking. Will give that a try, nice one.

chorltonwheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bit of a faff, but you could try super gluing a small piece of Velcro to the shoe mid-sole and stitching a piece to the toe cover. Worked for me through last winter with craft toe covers that were getting chewed up pretty quickly beforehand.

Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Clanger - don't really want to go the extra mile for waterproof boots cos I find that I don't really need them - I've got two pairs of overshoes and the toe covers get me through the colder/wetter weather, am just surprised that there aren't toe covers designed for SPD shoes cos they seem to be in the majority among commuters. The toe covers are perfect for those autumn/winter/spring days when the journey in is cold and the journey home mild and you don't need them (like now). They're handy to keep in the bag too in case of rain. I might see if I can make some heel straps for the current toe covers, if I ever find time?!

MT63 replied to Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Caratti do toe covers with a cleat opening.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't think that you will find a shoe cover that you won't ruin by commuting in SPDs. I used to get through a set every winter. My solution was to buy a pair of winter boots. More outlay up front but if they last for four years (which they easily should) they will pay you back. I have Northwave ones and they're great. If that doesn't fit the bill try some Sealskinz waterproof socks.

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Put a couple of small sandwich bags over your socks then put your shoes on, works a treat.

Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'll get the tumbleweeds!

Nick0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

...found these

http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/planet-bike-dasher-windproof-toe-covers.html

...don't really want to order from the far east though.

Anyone got any top tips?

Latest Comments