Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

For Racing Cyclists---Touching the wheel of the person in front of you ?

Can any roadies tell me the procedure for coming alongside a fellow competitor and touching his wheel, I was told years ago by guys who used to race that you should not come away too quickly or you will fall off your bike, has anyone had experience of this and how did you deal with it ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

53x11 | 9 years ago
0 likes

As someone else said, you can practice this, and if you race a lot, you probably should practice it. Regardless of what great advice you get here, your instincts in the moment will be wrong unless you've done it before. The point is to train your reactions. Coaches in my past have used a grassy velodrome infield for this, then graduated us to a hard surface. While you're at it, do some bumping drills. None of this is a solo activity.

Quiz: What is the most important reason to have your hands down in the hooks in tight traffic?
Answer: So that no one can hook your bars. If you're on the brake hoods, you're more exposed.

Must be Mad | 9 years ago
0 likes

Never touched a wheel yet.
However I do tend to have an 'escape route' planned (to the left or to the right) in case the rider in front slows unexpectedly - better to overlap for a moment than to cause a crash.

If I don't totally trust the rider in front, I'll stay a few centimeters further back, and if the rider in front is being erratic, then rather than position myself directly behind then, I move slightly to the left or right, so my wheel will miss theirs when they slow.

Also think about the road surface, if it full of potholes or road furniture then bikes will be moving around more.

OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

In BMX racing wheel touches are pretty common, along with elbows and bars banging together. If you stay on, good.

HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you touch the wheel in front of you the likelihood is that you will crash.

You will probably have no time to "deal with it". You will hit the deck in the fraction of a second.

I've seen wheel touches three times this year in my local chain gang. First time was just a tyre buzz, luckily nothing happened. The next two times both riders went down. At 25mph. Not nice.

The trick is to stay at least a foot away from the back wheel of the rider in front of you. Also, don't try and overlap (ie come alongside) the wheel in front of you. If you have to move to the side all of a sudden you will sideswipe the back wheel of the rider in front of you and crash.

And try and read the road in front of the bunch; is there anything ahead that might make the bunch brake suddenly? Riding in a bunch is constantly looking at the wheel ahead of you and then looking at the road ahead of you, back and forth, back and forth all the time.

If you want to learn how to ride in a bunch then join a club. Go out on Sunday runs, learn basic road etiquette and skills. Then after a few months start going out on training runs with a local chain gang. You will be pushed, prodded and shouted at but don't take it the wrong way, road cycling can be risky and they're just making sure you're learning how to ride safely and not be a danger to the group and crucially to yourself.

All the best  3

Super Domestique replied to HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes
HalfWheeler wrote:

The trick is to stay at least a foot away from the back wheel of the rider in front of you. Also, don't try and overlap (ie come alongside) the wheel in front of you. If you have to move to the side all of a sudden you will sideswipe the back wheel of the rider in front of you and crash.

The superb irony of such wise advice coming from someone with the usename Halfwheeler was not wasted. Truly a lol moment. Thank you Sir!

HalfWheeler replied to Super Domestique | 9 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:
HalfWheeler wrote:

The superb irony of such wise advice coming from someone with the usename Halfwheeler was not wasted. Truly a lol moment. Thank you Sir!

Not that ironic. No point halfwheeling at the back of a bunch or behind the front two pair, is there?

Huw Watkins replied to HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes
HalfWheeler wrote:

You will probably have no time to "deal with it". You will hit the deck in the fraction of a second.

All the best  3

What rubbish.

Wheel touches are obviously to be avoided but they do happen and not all of them - or even most of them - result in a crash.

They're not uncommon in the last few laps of crits when it can get a bit squeaky in the lead up to a bunch sprint.

Hold your nerve and don't panic. Move away gently and not too far - don't over compensate

HalfWheeler replied to Huw Watkins | 9 years ago
0 likes
Huw Watkins wrote:
HalfWheeler wrote:

All the best  3

What rubbish.

The attempt not to use definitive words and all the caveats and qualifications have obviously passed you by but then people do tend to debate in binary language these days...

As for advising him to stay a foot from the wheel in front of him and try not to overlap, is that rubbish too?

Criteriums are one thing, club runs and chain gangs are quite another. What do you think the OP will experience first seen as how he's new to road cycling?

davidnhill43 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your comments lads, it seems to be a subject that we don't hear much about, but something that could happen to any of us when you are surrounded by other riders

KirinChris | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the advice is probably correct but the chances of putting it into practice are small to zero.

If you touch wheels it's probably because you are going one way and he is going the other. Then you're going down.

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

This is something you can practice... with a trusting mate. Just rub wheels a bit and see what happens.

The worst thing to do is panic. If you turn away from the wheel, the chance is that you are going to fall off, as you are unbalancing yourself... i.e. the fact you are going into the wheel ahead is because you need to move your wheel to where the wheel in front is in order to maintain balance.

You have to push into the wheel you are overlapping so that you can shift your centre of balance away from the rider in front. This is not simple to do, but bloody mindedness can get you a long way. I had someone hit my wheel once... he resisted the crash, but in doing so buckled his wheel so badly that he couldn't continue the ride.

I've also done it on a MTB once... it was my superlight front wheel and an accident was not avoided... on that occasion because I pushed so hard against the wheel in front I pulled the spokes out of the rim and the wheel collapsed.

Ho hum.

Avoidance is the way forward... Two easy things you can do....

1. Avoid overlapping wheels in front... simples. Just don't do it, its avoidable in 95% of situations. Either give up some ground, or move further up alongside the rider in front. If you find yourself in a group and your wheel is overlapping, ease back a bit so that its not.

2. Stand up. If an overlap should happen and a wheel is coming across yours, simply stand up out of the saddle. This will shift your front wheel quickly 10 - 20cm back, which will often help you avoid the overlap.

JohnnyRemo replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

2. Stand up. If an overlap should happen and a wheel is coming across yours, simply stand up out of the saddle. This will shift your front wheel quickly 10 - 20cm back, which will often help you avoid the overlap.

...but very probably take off the rider behind you...

Jimmy Ray Will replied to JohnnyRemo | 9 years ago
0 likes
JohnnyRemo wrote:
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Potentially.... but;

1. Rather them than you hey?

2. Do nothing, fall off and you'll definitely take the dude behind you off

JohnnyRemo replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:
JohnnyRemo wrote:
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Potentially.... but;

1. Rather them than you hey?

2. Do nothing, fall off and you'll definitely take the dude behind you off

No - do not do that manoeuvre. Point is you have to trust the guys around you and *no-one* should be making sudden, unexpected, significant moves in a peloton. Sometimes you will touch a wheel and then it's pretty much down to luck whether or not you manage to stay upright (happens to the Pros - so gonna happen to you/me)

SideBurn | 9 years ago
0 likes

As above; if you hit the wheel of the rider in front you will go straight to the scene of the accident, wheras the person in front will be OK.
However if you turn into their wheel the friction between your tyre and theirs will slow you down suficiently to un-overlap the wheel in front.
Unless you do this instinctively then ouch....
If you watch people in a professional bunch; if they are likely to hit another rider they seem to lean onto them. Not try to avoid them. This seems to cause the other rider to crash! (Wallonie Grand Prix recently, for example). How you practice the above manouvers.... dunno

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Depending on where you are in the group when the touch occurs and if you can stay upright, there are a number of choices.

Dab the brakes a little and move right or left of the rider you touch, depending on where they start going. Don't do this if you are in the middle of a group.

Swing off away from the rider you touched, again, not in the middle of a group.

If you find yourself right in the middle of a group and happen to touch wheels, try and keep as straight as you can to let others avoid you.

Other than that, I've never had another situation that I didn't end up on the deck.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Also, in the heat of the moment, your brain will take over and panic anyway. It is not something you can practice, train or plan for.

Instinct will make you grip the bars and turn, you've just got to try and hold steady, if you are on the way down, let go of everything, your cleats should clip out themselves, where as if you hold on tight, you are going for a nice slide with your bike

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well assuming you or the other guy don't come off at first contact, then yes, as always, don't make rapid control inputs, or you will likely hit someone else next.....And expect (and deserve) a slap later.

If you lack experience....leave more space!

I've only ever hit wheels properly (twice in 30 years) when in a passing group and a stationary rider decided to push off from the kerb without looking right into the middle of the bunch.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't quite get what you want, advise on taking someone off their bike??

davidnhill43 replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Gkam84
What I meant was touching the riders wheel in front of you, what should you do, try and stay with his bike and gradually pull back or come back quickly, it happens quite often in bike races, sportives, even when you are out with a large bunch training, I've done it myself when training with guys who raced, but would not like to do it again.

Latest Comments