Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Btwin Triban 500 vs Felt Z100 need to choose, please advise?

Right then girls and guys. I am a complete newbie to the world of road bikes but am getting commissions through at the end of October and as well as a flat screen tv and a new set of golf clubs I really want to buy a road bike.

I am looking to buy a bike for less than £400 as I don't want to waste a load of money if its not something i stick to but am determined to make it happen and see this as an ideal time to pick up a bargain.

I will be mainly be using this bike for commutes to friends houses around 5 miles away as well as riding for an hour after work 3 times a week. As i get more confident and into the sport and the weather gets nicer (around april/may time) i will start riding out on a Saturday and Sunday for longer distances.

I am 6" 5 so am guessing i need either a 60cm, 61cm or 63cm frame advice on this would be helpful?

I think i have narrowed it down to two contenders:

Btwin Triban 500 SE - £350
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html

Felt Z100 2014 - £385
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z100-2014/

I don't want to seem like a bike snob but I really like the look and the brand of the felts and the triban 5oo se seems a bit plane Jane however i have read endless good reviews for the btwin bike. Also i have read that Z series from felt is a designed to be a little bit more comfortable than some race bikes which could be an advantage as the last bike i owned was when i was 15 and i am now 27.

Any feedback you guys could give me would be hugely appreciated as I very indecisive on the matter.
Or if you know of any other great deals under £400 i would love to see them. I keep scanning ebay for a second hand gem at a cheap price but finding a 61cm frame is difficult.

There are a couple of other contenders but i am starting to rule them out:

Felt F95 2014 - £365 (Boxed)
http://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f95-road-bike-2014-boxed-72331.html

This seems to me the best bike by far available under £400 however it comes 90% assembled and i dont think i would be confident tuning gears and brakes. Also no pedals so would have to add an extra £30 on. Plus they dont have it in the colour I like. If somethings going to be your pride and joy you might as well enjoy looking at it.

Btwin Triban 300 - £280
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-300-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

Cheap Cheap option doesnt have the carbon folks

Right rant over! please please please help decide.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

BigManBiker | 9 years ago
0 likes

haha, I can imagine that happening at decathlon. Thanks

So what bike would you choose out of the ones mentioned?

Are there any other great deals I've failed to find whilst trawling the internet?

petertaylor123 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Go to the Decathlon shop.
They will let you ride them around the shop.
Not brilliant, but it will give you an idea.
Probs best not to go on a Sat as you will have to contend with little kids whizzing around on scooters and throwing balls at you!!  1

Crosshair | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Triban 5 which I think is the same bike as the new 500 and it's very competent. I would be a bit concerned about sizing though as the TT is fairly short on them. I have a 61 and I am 6'.

BigManBiker replied to Crosshair | 9 years ago
0 likes
Crosshair wrote:

I have a Triban 5 which I think is the same bike as the new 500 and it's very competent. I would be a bit concerned about sizing though as the TT is fairly short on them. I have a 61 and I am 6'.

They do a 63cm which i could go for, thanks for the sizing info

Beatnik69 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the older version of the Triban 300, the T3a which has the Microshift components. I've never used Claris but I can tell you that I think the Microshift shifters are probably very underrated. I find that mine shift quickly and accurately (after a little adjusting) and when I'm in the big ring I get a good range across the gears. the only thing against the Tribans is probably weight but that shouldn't be too much of a concern unless you are wanting to go very fast or climb the alps (in which case the triple on the Triban would actually be quite handy). I recently competed an 85mile sportive on mine with no problems from the bike.

AWu-Tang | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the older F95 (its grey) and its amazingly good for this price point. Even though it has more race orientated geometry its also comfortable.

When i received the bike 5 minutes with an allen key had it put together and the gears were pretty well tuned already, a little tweak or two and it was fine. The only actual problem I had was the front wheel spoke tension, it was far too loose and needed tuning. This was beyond me but I had a friend look at it and he trued it and tightened the spokes.

I agree though, get something that gets you excited and you will use it more. I imagine both the Z100 and Triban 500 would also be very good bikes.

BigManBiker replied to AWu-Tang | 9 years ago
0 likes
AWu-Tang wrote:

I have the older F95 (its grey) and its amazingly good for this price point. Even though it has more race orientated geometry its also comfortable.

When i received the bike 5 minutes with an allen key had it put together and the gears were pretty well tuned already, a little tweak or two and it was fine. The only actual problem I had was the front wheel spoke tension, it was far too loose and needed tuning. This was beyond me but I had a friend look at it and he trued it and tightened the spokes.

I agree though, get something that gets you excited and you will use it more. I imagine both the Z100 and Triban 500 would also be very good bikes.

Thanks I also wanted to ask does anyone know whats better microshift or Claris?

Latest Comments