Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Taking bike on plane..

Just got back from from Knock,west Ireland,and couldn't believe the countryside out there,and thought wouldn't it be good if i brought my bike out here?,anyway on my return i looked into it?, and Ryanair want £100 per bike (Return),yet for me on a November date is just £14.99!!!,and a 20KG suitcase another £25. Im a bit green on bikes travelling abroad, so i assume there not packaged with all other hold luggage?....
Who is the best European airline that offers this service?.......I'm a frequent Easyjet user,but they don't fly to Ireland!!...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You have two options really.
Budget Airline (Cheap ticket+expensive bike charge)
Pricey Airline (expensive ticket+cheaper bike charge)
Cost wise they usually always end up working out the same, I go with the pricey airline (usually a Miles&More partner as I have a shedload of miles with them and want to keep my flyer status).

trevisotart | 9 years ago
0 likes

Been taking my bike to Italy for the last ten years with british airways , never had a moments trouble , bike box packed with a bike plus helmet , spare clothes ect , only in the last couple of years have they started charging for it .

bfslxo | 9 years ago
0 likes

not sure where u are but Easyjet fly into belfast International, ok Knock is a bit of a hop skip & a jump away from the North but there's no hassle getting the bike over

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

easyjet works out at around £70 per bike return, at least it did earlier this year.

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

On airlines which allow a bike in a proper box or bag as a free addition, do be aware that they often stipulate that it must be JUST the bike- and they can, after all, x-ray it or even open up.

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Many airlines are very good about this. Virgin for example, will fly a bike free of charge in addition to your standard luggage allowance, classing it as "sporting equipment". I've often considered using my bike hard case filled with non-bike things as a free extra suitcase, rather than pay additional luggage charges! The bike goes in the hold same as any other luggage item, Ryanair are just making their money the only way they can. How do you think your 14.99 flight gets paid for?

goggy replied to giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes
giobox wrote:

Many airlines are very good about this. Virgin for example, will fly a bike free of charge in addition to your standard luggage allowance, classing it as "sporting equipment". I've often considered using my bike hard case filled with non-bike things as a free extra suitcase, rather than pay additional luggage charges! The bike goes in the hold same as any other luggage item, Ryanair are just making their money the only way they can. How do you think your 14.99 flight gets paid for?

They x-ray your bike box... not sure what they would subsequently do - charge you for excess baggage or stare in wonder at your clothes-shaped bicycle  39

ldb30 replied to giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes
giobox wrote:

Actually looking at easyjet to Belfast,are quite pricey flights anyway,Ryanair far far cheaper, but in reality a bike wouldn't be worthwhile for a weekend breakaway?,only worthwile if had a 7/14 days there. I think another option would be a bike hire firm?, i mean what could a firm charge for 2 days road bike?...

Joeinpoole | 9 years ago
0 likes

How about using the train & ferry instead? Read all about it here;

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm#.VCA-DUs29uY

adamtaylor | 9 years ago
0 likes

With BA you can fly your bike for free if it weighs less than the standard luggage allowance (22KG?).

You've gotta go hand luggage yourself but it's not too bad. Depending on the destination, BA is not always more expensive. Especially once you factor in the bike.

A not excessively light carbon road bike in a very clunky DHB hardcase box, with a couple of tools, was bang on the limit.

Latest Comments