Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Overshoes for wet weather

I have been reading review sessions on this website (and others) of cycling overshoes and so far the BBB Arctic Duty overshoes seem to come out tops although they are not cheap. I am a regular commuter cyclist and have a very old pair of overshoes I originally bought when I had a motorbike - they fit over sizeable boots but I have no idea what make or brand they are. They are complete overshoes - ie they have soles as well with a Velcro strip up the outside of each - and sure as heck do the job but they are getting a bit worn these days. I wear them with long waterproof trousers over the top and they do an excellent job of keeping my shoes dry. I cycle 17 miles each way between Basingstoke and Winchester (before you get too impressed, I have an electric bike) and even if it's stopped raining, the surface water on the road is awful. If there are too many cars around I have no option but to ride through deep puddles creating a spectacular bow wave that saturates my feet and shoes. Ugh.

Has anyone tried these BBB overshoes in severe surface water conditions? I am female so have smaller feet - size 6 shoes - so how is the fit?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

southseabythesea | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got the BBB Heavy duty for MTB shoes and PRO Neoprene for road shoes. The BBB ones are very good value, the wet only eventually gets through via my tights.

Hardenedcommute... | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the input, y'all. Reviews from users of products are always the best.  16

trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got a pair of BBB Hardwear and they have been great. Nice warm and very reflective too.

Trikeman.  3

ct replied to trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes
trikeman wrote:

I've got a pair of BBB Hardwear and they have been great. Nice warm and very reflective too.

Trikeman.  3

Me too, they rock.

Message Ends

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just bought me a pair of these last week. Its been warm and dry since they've arrived, so don't know if they're any good yet, reviews are mixed but the price is good. FWIW, a large fits over my size 9.5 shoes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-exclusive-diluvio-shoe-cover-16-stealth...

I liked my old pair of endura neoprene's, although the neoprene at the heal tends fall off and the zip broke after two winter seasons.

Scoob_84 replied to Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

I just bought me a pair of these last week. Its been warm and dry since they've arrived, so don't know if they're any good yet, reviews are mixed but the price is good. FWIW, a large fits over my size 9.5 shoes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-exclusive-diluvio-shoe-cover-16-stealth...

I liked my old pair of endura neoprene's, although the neoprene at the heal tends fall off and the zip broke after two winter seasons.

Just taken these out on their first wet weather ride. The conditions were mild with heavy drizzle (not quite full blown rain). Ride journey was about an hour and was very comfortable, but water did get in. If you want completely dry feet, probably don't go for these. Not sue how they'd cope in proper wet and proper cold weather.

adamtaylor | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have some neoprene Rapha. They're nice but pricey (obviously!). I also have some Seal Skin MTB overshoes, which are fine as well. The MTB overshoes have even larger holes for the soles.

Neither keep me bone dry but they help with retaining the warmth.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use the Endura neoprene one over my work shoes with flat pedals on my commuter. Impressed everyone at work, they went out and bought some. About £12 and never going to win a beauty contest but they keep your feet warm and dry.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use the Assos 'S&M' ones, not a clue what they really call them.
Find them really good, keep my feet dry and look decent! pair them with winter socks as well and my feet are good in all but the worst

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use Endura Road Overshoes. They really are excellent However, nothing is truly water proof as they all have holes for the cleats. I do find the overshoes and Showerspass waterproof trousers are as good as it can get really.

Latest Comments