Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Annoying locks at shops

Hello,
I hope you won't find this as a spam, but couple days ago I was cycling home from work. At some point I've decided to stop at the shop, but I couldn't buy anything because I didn't have a lock with me. This happened for me for quite a few times already, usually when I go for a longer ride for example in Peak District. All the time I have to try to find shop staff and ask for their help, but sometimes it doesn't help. I got really annoyed and just wanted to know if there other people like me. I might be a very naive student, but I think that it is possible to change this situation. Sadly even to try to achieve it I need your opinion, to know if you feel the same way, so could you please fill my questionnaire? Sharing with other cyclists would be really amazing, because quantity can really help this time. Thank you! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10d0UDbZfoHGw2IeOl8BYph_o3tyAsKtKhai5TCd...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

rjfrussell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Had my bike nicked from outside a vets about 10 years ago. Leant it against the plate glass window, nipped inside to grab some Frontline. Group of lads just grabbed it and ran off. Bike was insured but the very nice piece of smoked haddock in the pannier for supper wasn't. Luckily it was within walking distance of home.

Also had a bike nicked on the day we went to book the registrar for our wedding- despite being locked up with a fuck off big D lock.

Two bikes nicked from outside the house, despite a multitude of chains etc.

And two nicked, entirely my fault, because I put a lock through a quick release front wheel. Still- leaves you with spare wheels.

Anyhow, answer is, for home at least, buy an Asgard shed. And/or don't live in Hackney.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

but take a bike and ww3 seems to have started in some places

Yorkshire is bit different though...

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Slightly off topic, why is it acceptable for that likes of wheelchair, buggies prams etc to be wheeled around shops and cafés, but take a bike and ww3 seems to have started in some places?

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I can almost taste the angst. Just go into the emporium of your choice and say 'I'm just bringing my bike in, that'll be fine won't it?'.

You'll be amazed how accommodating people will be when you actually talk to them....

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't want to carry anything else on my person (jersey pockets) when I ride my road bike apart from the basics?

House keys, cell phone, money/bankcard, mini pump, inner tube/tire lever, perhaps a gel or bar for a longer ride.

Bike is only carrying water bottles on the cages.

Absolutely would not want to carry a lock, don't want the extra bulk / weight; it won't fit in the jersey pockets.

-I can go to plenty of coffee shops where they let me take my bike in.

-I can go to plenty of convenience stores where they let me take my bike in.

It's generally the supermarkets like Tesco that won't let you take a bike into their small express / metro style stores, but its not the kind of store I'd need on a road ride.

If I am commuting, that is a totally different matter. I can carry a D-lock on my outside of my backpack if needed, and Abus Steeloflex on my hips

When we opened our bike shop in the Docklands we looked at providing bike parking outside the store ( with or without locks), but it was expensive to install, and prone to problems with customer losing keys to our locks, us constantly having to provide the locks to customers and make sure we got them back, abusing it as all day free parking or people locking bikes up with their own locks which would prevent customers using the parking.

//www.ideasinmotionsouthend.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ParkThatBike_PlantLock.jpg)

If a customer brings their bike into the store, we have space set aside for parking inside, and a member of staff always watching the front door.

Andrewbanshee | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know a few of you are saying carry a lock ffs, but that shows a complete lack of understanding beyond your own experiences.
I cycle to and from work, leave my lock, D and cable integrated, at work because I doubt I will need to stop, and the route is a bugger to do with all my gear I have no option but to carry, so I minimise as much as possible, so a lock that will still protect my bike is no option.

When I am out on a jolly, 25 miles+, again do I really want to carry a lock?

I was directed to this forum because I want a lock that can be used as a deterrent to all but the most persistent of thieves, but it had to be light and easy to carry. This problem arose since I donated my old hacking bike in which I used to go to the shops on. So my least expensive, obviously worth nicking bike still is not one I want a cheap lock on, but a good preventative lock that is easy'ish to carry.

Also, even on my own I would not mind sometimes stopping off at a cafe/pub, especially in Spring/Summer, and I would be loath to leave my bike unlocked outside even for a second.

Quince | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the way most people avoid this problem is by (generally) dividing their riding into the following categories:

Urban/Commuter Riding: In which speed isn't an absolute priority, so a backpack or panniers (w/ suitably big lock) are favoured above a stripped down race setup.

Shorter Rides (20-40miles): In which locking up isn't really necessary as everything needed for the ride can be stuffed into a jersey pocket or bottle cage, so there's no need to stop and restock supplies.

Longer Rides (40+miles): In which stopping and topping up supplies might be necessary. However, I think on these sort of rides it's common for people to travel in a group, which leaves someone to watch the bikes.

I guess the problem is when the last category is done alone. I made a thread on this a while back, asking about the best light locks. (http://road.cc/content/forum/124564-decent-enough-short-duration-locks)

Also, tenuously related, but this is kinda neat: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2014/08/28/a-bike-tha...

kev-s | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not everyone can carry a lock when out riding

Say im out on a 70-100 mile ride on my road bike and at some point i want to stop at a shop or cafe to top up on water, cake, have a headache and need paracetamol, need a emergency number 2 loo break (it has happened) etc...

A good lock wouldn't fit in my jersey and would be quite heavy to carry all the time for just in case situations

One idea would be to have a bike rack that has a locking mechanism built in that would lock the frame and wheels in some way

The locking mechanism could be activated by swiping or touching (contactless technology) your bank card to lock the bike and again to unlock it, they could charge a £1 fee for this

You could even do it with your mobile phone, most people carry one if not both of these when out on their bike

Obviously the bike rack would be hooked up to the shop so all data would be stored in the shop whilst your there, once u unlock your bike the data is deleted (just like when u use your card in the shop)

MaxP | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't understand how people can complain about carrying a lock! It's not that difficult and there are all types to fit all needs.

Good grief!

Reddleman | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've filled in the survey but....FFS...carry a lock...  17

gazza_d | 9 years ago
0 likes

As the bike is leant against my desk at work, I don't bother with a U-lock, but always have an "armoured" cable lock with me.

If I cycle to the shops from home I always take a D-lock with me. I have on a couple of occasions forgotten the keys (idiot that I am) but the shop security have always kept an eye on it. In those occasions I have done stuff like wrap bungees and straps though wheels and stuff and just the brake adjusters to wedge the brake on, and change gears. Key thing is to stop a quick getaway for any toerag.

A more important issue is the number of stores without any secure parking for bikes, or where the parking is tucked away out in a quiet corner & without CCTV etc. That's what needs tackling not having the odd free lock.

What would stop nefarious individuals borrowing locks and cloning the keys if shops did do loan locks?

LarryG9 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am also talking about couple hour training rides, when trying to achieve highest average speed, having a lock, which most probably won't be used, is also not very convenient. And not all shops allow to have bike inside

Bokonon | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just take the bike inside, I regularly ride to work without a lock, because I do the same there, and keep my bike in the office.

Binky | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not all students are incapable of understanding the concept of taking a lock with you when you take your bike out.
I can't see how that is so hard to understand.

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I usually have a lock with me but if not I will simply walk into the shop with the bike or leave it outside depending on the bike.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I leave the 'D' at work, but carry a cable lock "just in case". I know it's not going to stop a prepared thief with even a small pair of bolt cutters, but it will deter a casual thief if I ever need to nip into a newsagents for a few seconds.

You could also invest in a hiplock or something that you can carry easily.

Jimbonic | 9 years ago
0 likes

You could always try a "cafe" lock. It's not going to stop even a partly determined thief. But, it will make them look more favourably at the bike next to yours with no lock on it!!

brooksby | 9 years ago
0 likes

OK, fair enough. I always have a cable lock and a D-lock with me (in my pannier), so I don't really think about not having a lock. I've filled in your survey, though.

brooksby | 9 years ago
0 likes

Why are you riding to/from work *without* a lock?  3

LarryG9 replied to brooksby | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a chain left at work

Latest Comments