Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

which chain?

With all the brands and variations available in a little confused as to which chain I should get. I have a shimano 8 speed on at the moment but is "stretched" and need replacing. I see a lot of love for the KMC chains, and I see the SRAM are compatible. Could someone advice me or post a link (pun not intended) to a guide in the best chain for me.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

IngloriousLou | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bear hands  1

3wheelsgood replied to IngloriousLou | 9 years ago
0 likes
IngloriousLou wrote:

Bear hands  1

24  4  24  4  24  4  41  41

IngloriousLou | 9 years ago
0 likes
wyadvd | 9 years ago
0 likes
wyadvd | 9 years ago
0 likes

KMC: You just need to develop the skill of attaching / detaching the magic links with your bear hands which is easy once you have the knack. Create some slack in the chain the bend the chain across its width to loosen the link. Then pull the two halves of the chain together. Needs practice but its worth it for on road repairs. If you use a shimano chain, if it snaps you're effed, as you can't fix it with a missing link on the road and they are b@ggers to fix with a chain tool. KMC however can be fixed easily on the road. which is a big advantage in the middle of FEB

my method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2WW5CTIqc

If you enjoy carrying your entire tool box you can try this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uirUIGh9fyc

3wheelsgood replied to wyadvd | 9 years ago
0 likes
wyadvd wrote:

KMC: You just need to develop the skill of attaching / detaching the magic links with your bear hands which is easy once you have the knack. Create some slack in the chain the bend the chain across its width to loosen the link. Then pull the two halves of the chain together. Needs practice but its worth it for on road repairs. If you use a shimano chain, if it snaps you're effed, as you can't fix it with a missing link on the road and they are b@ggers to fix with a chain tool. KMC however can be fixed easily on the road. which is a big advantage in the middle of FEB

Where can I get a pair of them there bear hands to add to my toolbox?????  35

Beatnik69 replied to 3wheelsgood | 9 years ago
0 likes
3wheelsgood wrote:
wyadvd wrote:

Where can I get a pair of them there bear hands to add to my toolbox?????  35

I'd have thougt the claws would make them a bugger to work with and it must be a nightmare trying to get chain lube out of all that fur.  4

farrell replied to Beatnik69 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Beatnik69 wrote:

I'd have thougt the claws would make them a bugger to work with

Claws? Huh?

kev-s | 9 years ago
0 likes

I run dura ace and ultegra 10 speed chains on my bikes, the trick to get the kmc power link to lock is to make sure the right hand crank arm is facing forwards, connect the kmc link together making sure they link together just a few links before the chain goes on to the chainring

now apply the front brake and using your foot apply pressure to the pedal until you hear the kmc link snap into place

Been doing this for years and it seems to be the easiest way

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not directly relevant to the thread because I'm talking about ten-speed chains, but illuminating just the same ....

A few months ago Velo magazine published the results of a chain longevity test. They took examples from just about every leading manufacturer, and a few I've never heard of, and ran them under lab' conditions for thousands of hours whilst liberally dousing them with sand.

The longest lasting, if my memory serves me correctly, was Shimano's Dura Ace but very close on its heels was their 105, at less than half the price. I have since bought three for my store cupboard and with a little luck they should last me five years.

By the way, a KMC Missing Link fits Shimano chains ( or Campag') just fine.

ta2dwez replied to mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes
mike the bike wrote:

Im 100% sure your right, i just couldn't for the life of me get it to lock  22

joemmo replied to ta2dwez | 9 years ago
0 likes
ta2dwez wrote:
mike the bike wrote:

Im 100% sure your right, i just couldn't for the life of me get it to lock  22

Could have been a dodgy link. I had one on a recently bought kmc that would not close so I just reused the old one.

wyadvd replied to mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

wow thats useful info thanks

edster99 | 9 years ago
0 likes

KMC for me too.

ta2dwez | 9 years ago
0 likes

I thought i would update you on my troubles and woes of the chain situation.

I went up to my LBS and asked them what thay had in stock at the time. They didn't have any 8 Speed KMC chains but had a shimano hg51 they also gave me a KMC missing link and i bought a chain breaker as mine was knackered (nearly 20 years old).

I got back and took off the old chain, measured up the new chain and removed and extra link to add the KMC link. Thats when it all went to s**t  14 . The chain breaker broke. i have to go back to the shop and get it replaced, then the KMC link wouldnt lock into place.  2

After about 40 mins i gave up and added an extra link and put it all back together. I put the bike on the turbo trainer and proceeded to go through the gears only to find the lowest gear was jumping repeatedly  14  14 .

On further investigation i found that 1 tooth was worn and so i had to get a new cassette too.

Talk about what was a simple chain swap turned out to be a stressful afternoon.

3wheelsgood replied to ta2dwez | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was always taught that replacement of worn chain is inextricably linked with the replacement of cassette - am I out of date on this?  7

wyadvd replied to 3wheelsgood | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you replace your chain on the 0.75 point on chain wear tool, you may get three chains per cassette.

KiwiMike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Been using KMC 9.93 chains for years. Never had a problem with 'em. £9 on eBay.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

KMC all the way, run one on all my bikes (Race/Winter/Track) and can't fault them.

230548 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I run kmc chain on 9/10/11 speed setups (campagnolo) all run well, easy to fit with the speed link, why don't all the manufactures adopt this system.

CanAmSteve | 9 years ago
0 likes

With SRAM and KMC you get a reusable (for 8-spd at least) link that is just soooooo much better than Shimano's pin. Otherwise, just go by price. Keep in mind that you may need a new cassette as well if you've run with a worn chain for a while - check the teeth carefully.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

SRAM 8 speed chains are great, I've no experience of narrower ones. Type pc870 is what I use, it's mid range one, with nickel plated links.

Latest Comments