Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chain Advice Needed

Hi,

I want to replace my cassette (11spd Ultegra) with an 11-32 as up to now, I've just been doing flattish Du/triathlons. I'm planning on hitting some hills and I'm not the lightest rider out there and like to have a high cadence. The crank is a 52/36.

Clearly, I wouldn't purposely run it at 52 - 32 but sometimes it happens and as it is at the moment, the chain is too short. Looks currently to be a 106 link chain.

So, question is:

Is it simply a matter of getting a longer chain or do I also need the GS version of the RD with the longer cage to take up the slack?

Thanks in advance..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

baracas77 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Edster, that's exactly what I needed.

edster99 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes, get a longer one and take some off. Calculators are available to know how many links you need : start here

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc....

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

IME a chain will have 114 or 116 links, you remove links as needed when installing it.

baracas77 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies guys. As for the chain length is it case of buying a longer chain and possibly reducing it down as buying extra links doesn't look like the done thing.

CanAmSteve | 9 years ago
0 likes

Along with a longer-cage RD (which you may already have) you need to keep an eye on just how much chain slack the RD can pull without going slack on small-small.

IIRC, all Ultegra RDs can handle a 30 rear cog "officially" which means 32 in real life (usually). But I doubt it can handle the difference in chain slack from 52/32 to 36/11. Typically you size a chain big/big (without the RD in play) then add two links. Give it a go using a chain with a removable link if available and then run it on a stand threaded through the mechs. Check how slack it is in the smaller range, as it will slap your chainstay (or worse).

I'd say you almost need a MTB RD for that great a range. You could pick up a compact 50/34chainset and run that with the 32 rear (just barely, I think).

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes for 32 you'll need a GS rear mech. The SS only goes up to 28t.

You could swap out the chainrings for smaller ones, they are interchangeable now.

Latest Comments