Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet X frame sizing?

Does anyone have any experience of Planet X frame sizing? I am interested in the Pro Carbon range but nervous about purchasing a bike without a test ride or fitting (short of going to Sheffield)!

I am 5'6" so probably would suit the small on paper but I have shorter legs and longer torso meaning I can be more comfortable in reach with a size up sometimes. Does anyone own a small frame Planet x, or is the range similar to another competitors geometry?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well, on this one I have now found my dream Colnago so my gorgeous Planet X Pro Carbon is indeed now up for sale - it will be in the Classified section once our learned leaders have checked the advert contents.

Be a superb bike for someone.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Be careful, the PX Pro Carbon is quite a long frame, I followed their sizing and ended up having to sell the frame as it was just too long for me.

Adlopa | 9 years ago
0 likes

How about Triathlon Zone in St Albans (http://www.triathlon-zone.com)? I bought my RT-58 through them (5'11, large size) and they were great — worth it for the bike set-up alone. Don't bother with paying for a fitting, though — it's a waste of money, since they only measure you to get the bike size and components right and not the set-up once it's delivered.

trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi thearchitect,
If the right Colnago frame comes along then the PX frame would be surplus - the condition is as new, it's only a few weeks old and not a mark on it.
Regards,
Trikeman.  3

thearchitect replied to trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was hoping to purchase the new bike through my company's cycle scheme, stupidly I bought a waterproof jacket back in January through it meaning I can't make a new purchase until 12 months later., doh! Should have thought of that at the time. Nevertheless at least I can plan ahead and maybe get around to trying some more bikes out for size.

Thanks for help all.

portec | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a medium pro carbon and it fits me well with an 11cm stem. I'm about 174cm (about 5'8.5", I think) and longish torso. Before the Planet X I owned a 54cm Look, a 52cm Specialized Allez, a 54cm Colnago Master, 54cm Cannondale, so I think the Planet X compares fairly similar to other manufacturers.

One important thing to note though. When I bought mine, because the frame is so compact the small size had only 1 bottle cage mounting point. I don't know if that's still the case - probably is - but you should check. That would be a deal breaker for me. It would be no problem for a commuting bike but useless for racing or sportives IMO.

trikeman replied to portec | 9 years ago
0 likes

Doh, semi answered on the bike photo thread.  102

Where are you thearchitect? (get a shorter handle).  21

Anyway, if you are near you could come and ride mine, you would know for sure then before ordering. The small 44cm (the same as I have) would fit you a treat but my offer is there if you wish to try before you buy - I'm in Weston Super Mare if that's any good. You asked on the photo thread and they way it is set up there (in photo) is for my size. Thinking about it - you could get a bargain in mine,,,,,,  13

Happy to help old chap.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

thearchitect replied to trikeman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Trikeman

Unfortunately I'm in Cambridgeshire (though work in London), so a little far to pop over, it might be easier for me to jump on the train to Sheffield, but thanks for the kind offer. Are you thinking of selling yours?

Rgds

thearchitect

BradleyNiggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had the same issue when ordering mine earlier this year. I gambled and went with the recommendation in the size guide and it turned out that the bike fits nice. I was worried that the frame would be too compact but i have plenty of room to work in.

If i were you i'd go with the small and compensate for your torso with your stem selection.

Latest Comments