Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Happy Aldi Specialbuy Day - September 25th 2014

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/our-specialbuy-events/cycling/

Thought something was missing in my life. Ah yes, that was it, kittens.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

adrianoconnor | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bargain hunters might be interested in the Ultegra 12-25T cassette that Halfords are selling for £20 right now: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-parts/cassettes-freewheels/shima....

You have to select the size to see the price, and it's only the 12-25 that gets the discount. Happily, that's my favourite size  1

Paul J | 9 years ago
0 likes

Their light-weight foldup polyester rain jackets are great. Light rain jackets tend to be fragile and losable, so good to have a source of cheap one.

MaxP | 9 years ago
0 likes

Knowing my luck, my local will have minimum stock of nothing looking like the stuff on the website  2

But I'm still going to look  16

Argos74 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North replied to Argos74 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Argos74 wrote:

And... they're off!

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-25-september/

Is the lemon meringue pie small enough to fit in one's jersey pocket or is it more a recovery food thing? And does the digital electronic safe come supplied with bike mounts?

farrell replied to Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North wrote:

Is the lemon meringue pie small enough to fit in one's jersey pocket or is it more a recovery food thing?

Recovery.

You finish your ride, nip in to Aldi, pick up the pie then and climb in to one of their freezers like an ice bath and tuck in to it.

Sharethan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've found the base layers to be superb, both vest and short sleeves. For the money it can not be beaten for the commuter and occasional rider, I wouldn't use the kit on longer rides and sportives where longterm comfort are more of a priority.

BikeBud | 9 years ago
0 likes

A cheap Aldi cape did me right for a year. Not the best, but it did the job.

Bought a Crane HR monitor (watch) but found it frustrating - part way through a ride it would climb to 230bpm and then beep at me for the rest of the ride (presumably to tell me I was about to die). It may have only been £14ish, but it was £14 wasted and spoiled a few rides.

ajmarshal1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bought the toolbox last time for a trip away so I could just lob it in the bin before I came back.

I lobbed it in the bin earlier than that because it was utter pump.

glynr36 replied to ajmarshal1 | 9 years ago
0 likes
ajmarshal1 wrote:

Bought the toolbox last time for a trip away so I could just lob it in the bin before I came back.

I lobbed it in the bin earlier than that because it was utter pump.

The tools weren't the greatest in that, a mate got it and I used it once when helping him with a few things on his bike. There is nothing worse than cheap bad quality tools.

andyp replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

There is nothing worse than cheap bad quality tools.

expensive bad quality tools?
JTLs excuses?
cancer?

glynr36 replied to andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:
glynr36 wrote:

There is nothing worse than cheap bad quality tools.

expensive bad quality tools?
JTLs excuses?
cancer?

I'd probably say those Hex keys I used out the set were even worse than a 33 unit bender as an excuse for those blood values!

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Will keep an eye on this as winter bibs/tights for the commute are on my shopping list too.

The full list of what's on offer will probably be available this Thursday.

rxpell | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love their Crane winter cycling tights - they cost about a tenner and are top quality - I've just about worn the a**e out of the pair I have but have been using them almost daily - comfortable and a great fit. Wish they had them back in again.

Some Fella | 9 years ago
0 likes

No base layers?
Love my ALDI base layer.

thesaladdays replied to Some Fella | 9 years ago
0 likes
Some Fella wrote:

No base layers?
Love my ALDI base layer.

Found the base layers to be hit and miss. Bought two earlier in the year, one t-shirt style, one vest style. The t-shirt one was so unusually high in the neck that it felt like it was choking me (and no, I wasn't wearing it backwards, tried that!) and returned it the next day. The vest style one is great though, would happily buy another.

The arm warmers work just fine as well, especially for £5 or whatever silly price it was. And a couple of pairs of socks for £3, probably wouldn't use them for any longer distance, but more than adequate for the daily commute.

arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes

What is that man doing to his bike?

Al__S replied to arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

It's almost the "descend like a pro" sitting on the top tube position. But not quite. And on the flat.

arrieredupeleton replied to Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes
Al__S wrote:
arrieredupeleton wrote:

It's almost the "descend like a pro" sitting on the top tube position. But not quite. And on the flat.

... at least get your hands on the drops man.

Or it could be he is having a poo?

Kapelmuur replied to arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Carlton Kirby talks about 'the dangling carrot', in this pic the vegetable has been photoshopped out.

The _Kaner replied to arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

..Campo Largo baked beans....(from LIDL)..rushing to get there for more, cos they're better than Aldi's...

Him Up North replied to arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Perhaps it demonstrates what happens if you don your Aldi kit and go for a spin too soon after eating a trough of the Indian grub also on offer.

Latest Comments