Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chris Froome wins another grand tour.

Only he doesn't because the final (and only individual TT) is only 10km long. Despite this he brought back 27s on Contador. Imagine what he would have done on a normal 40+ km route. But wait shouldn't he have won anyway if you knock off the silly bonus seconds? Oh well horses for courses. Well done Alberto, lets all go out for a slap up steak dinner to celebrate.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

allezrider | 9 years ago
0 likes

'Broken leg' brings to mind a complete separation fracture whereas Contador's was a small hairline fracture. I suspect it was the ligament damage that brought his TdF to a halt and was the limiting factor in his recovery rather than the 'broken leg'. I'm not an orthopedic surgeon so I could be talking complete rubbish. However, he probably wasn't back to full fitness considering the strapping that he was sporting.

Froome's injury on the other hand (excuse the pun) should not have inhibited his training for the Vuelta from which we could infer that to win wasn't a big target hence why he got beaten.

andyp replied to allezrider | 9 years ago
0 likes
allezrider wrote:

I'm not an orthopedic surgeon so I could be talking complete rubbish.

Spot on.

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

*Only he doesn't because the final (and only individual TT) is only 10km long. Despite this he brought back 27s on Contador. Imagine what he would have done on a normal 40+ km route. But wait shouldn't he have won anyway if you knock off the silly bonus seconds? *

Ah. So, changing both the rules and the route, it might have been different?
Wow. amazing insight. Froome also might have beaten Contador, had Contador not taken part in the race. Why leave that one out?

DaveG | 9 years ago
0 likes

I remember that ITV showed the newpaper article showing Contador's leg, including MRI scans of the break (small fracture really). To suggest it was a ploy by Riis is, probably, rubbish. As long as it was his leg of course!! LOL

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

It speaks volumes though that Contador "is back to his best" yet only squeezes home against a well under par Froome.

In the end he won the race so congrats to him but his recovery from a broken leg and damaged knee ligaments in such a short space of time and for him to get back to top race fitness leaves some unanswered questions in my opinion.

There was a comment on a different forum saying they did not believe he broke his leg and it was all a ploy by Riis to pull him out of the TdF as he knew Nibali was on a winner ????? I cant believe coaches would stoop as low as that but thats how people are thinking.....!

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Froome didn't ride that well overall (to what he can), only got the better of Contador a handful of times.

daddyELVIS | 9 years ago
0 likes

Obviously didn't follow the race then?! Typical newbie Sky fan.

BTW, the final TT was a joke, and of course Froome gained time back as Contador soft pedalled around it.

fukawitribe replied to daddyELVIS | 9 years ago
0 likes
daddyELVIS wrote:

Obviously didn't follow the race then?! Typical newbie Sky fan.

Come on, don't go down to the same level - whilst it's clear the OP is somewhat skewed in outlook and it's hard to believe they watched the same race, this isn't peculiar to supporters of Sky or any other given team / individual...

daddyELVIS wrote:

BTW, the final TT was a joke, and of course Froome gained time back as Contador soft pedalled around it.

Indeed.

daddyELVIS replied to fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

Come on, don't go down to the same level - whilst it's clear the OP is somewhat skewed in outlook and it's hard to believe they watched the same race, this isn't peculiar to supporters of Sky or any other given team / individual...

...fair point

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Contador deserved this one in my book. Assuming he is clean of course, which I assume he is until I see evidence proving otherwise.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Froome made a bad caculation (Shaun kelly) on the big TT losing the amount of time he effectively lost by at the end of the tour. Contador deserved to win, as Froome looked under par but started to come good in the last week. Saying that, Contador still had the beating of Froome in the final hills

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Froome made a bad caculation (Shaun kelly) on the big TT losing the amount of time he effectively lost by at the end of the tour. Contador deserved to win, as Froome looked under par but started to come good in the last week. Saying that, Contador still had the beating of Froome in the final hills

darrenleroy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wonder if the bonus seconds makes for a more exciting race when riders are close to each other in the standings.

Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes

Stage 10 was an individual time trial over a 36.7km course. Contador took the red jersey that day and bested Froome to the tune of 53 seconds.

ray silvester replied to Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes
Him Up North wrote:

Stage 10 was an individual time trial over a 36.7km course. Contador took the red jersey that day and bested Froome to the tune of 53 seconds.

That was the key stage as it meant that Contador didn't have to attack anyone....and it also saw Quintana's big off in to the barriers.

Latest Comments