Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Hyperbolic Hugh

Is it just me, or does anyone else find Hugh Porter's commentary almost unbearable?

Not only does he make mistakes, he can't keep his voice down. Sometimes, you can hear his sharp intake of breath between each phrase! And he keeps on using the same old cliches. "Fast and furious", "Spinning the wheels", "He's got his race face on", "Now then, .......", "Tapping out a rhythm", "Turning a big gear". The list is endless.

What's more, he seems to think today's bike racing is just like it used to be when he was "tapping out a rhythm" and "spinning the wheels".

Today, during the last stage of the Tour of Britain, he even seemed affronted because the break-away wasn't behaving as he expected.

I hate to sound ageist, but isn't it time he retired?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Must be Mad | 9 years ago
0 likes

'twas never a fan of Calton's when he was doing the motor racing commentary - but think he's fine with the cycling.
Also thought Matt did a good job on the TOB, and I'm happy to listen to Hugh too.

Honestly, if you are getting so worked up on the commentary, then you are not watching the racing closely enough.

Talking of which, it's good that we have so much well produced coverage on TV now isn't it?

Really, just chill out, and if you must, play 'TV commentator cliche bingo'

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

and no one has even mentioned Carlton Kirby who manages to make grand tour watching a bore on Eurosport. Several threads on him, so I'll just shut up.

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I prefer listening to Porter than to that semi-literate Irish chap who constantly does the calculation. Talk about a commentator over using a stock phrase!

Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes

Porter was better than Matt Stephens on Eurosport. The latter commentates like he's giving a powerpoint presentation.

Fran The Man replied to Him Up North | 9 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps I should be glad I haven't got Eurosport  3 !

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hugh has already been put out to farm by the BBC. Replaced by Simon Brotherton, offof 5Live I think, on the very rare occasions they cover cycling. This is why he has popped up on ToB. He might be getting on bit but all commentators have stock phrases. He is a warm and familiar voice. I never understand the hyperbole employed about commentators; 'unbearable'? Its not like I made you watch Gary Busey.

Fran The Man replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe "unbearable" was a bit hyperbolic! But it was a bit much when, from time to time, Porter seemed to think the whole country had gone cycling mad. "Just look at the crowds!", he'd yell, when many of them were school children, and again, when I often couldn't see more than fifty adults anywhere.

Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes

"Queertoski"

Latest Comments