Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Newbie with lots of choices and cannot decide which is best!

Well where to start really, doing the Cyclescheme thing and choosing a road bike, as I already own a MTB and can't justify spending a small fortune on another only to throw it down a mountainside, after all that's what there made for isn't it? I want to ride the roads anyway. I've not ridden a road bike for a number of years and I fear I'm having the " mid lifer " and want to don Lycra and pretend I'm the next Wiggo etc. The thing is the more research I do the more confusing it becomes. I'm going to spend the full £1000 but will have to budget in pedals and shoes into this as my MTB has flats.

Is it me or am I being cynical but every LBS I go into seems to slag off every other brand apart from obviously the ones they are selling? I've been into 3 now in my area (Bolton) and the first tried to sell me the Raleigh Revenio 2, the next said Raleigh were not what they once where and tried to sell me a Forme, saying basically buy it because its local! He was also very disparaging about Ribble bikes and also Decathlons own brand, now doing said research these bikes where getting pretty decent reviews? So I'm bloody confused now. The third LBS I went into then tried selling me the Giant Defy 2. As far as I'm concerned all these bikes seem ok. I'm pretty keen on using a LBS so can access there after sales service and have a human being to interact with!

Now I know these questions have probably been asked a thousand times on here before so I will thank you in advance for reading all this blurb and actually taking the time to offer any help or advice.

Many thanks John the Newbie!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

28 comments

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Still no bike!!! Unfortunately still hunting (did I mention I was in no rush!) anyway I've sort of whittled it down to 5.

www.evanscycles.com/.../trek/madone-21-h2-compact-2014-road-bike-ec0...
www.evanscycles.com/.../hoy/sa-calobra-003-2014-road-bike-ec051523
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/58105/Merida_Ride_Carbon_93_20...
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/66607/Giant_Defy_0_2014_Bike
http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p73908/Giant-Defy-1-2015-Road-Bike.aspx?gclid=...

Please help...............arghhhhhh my brain is saturated with bikes! Really like the look of the Merida but its "only" Tiagra where the Giant Defy 0 is Ultegra but is at top end of budget? Plus the Hoy bike does look stunning and understated! Can you now see my problem. I want them all!!!!!  20  20  20  20

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

What do the good people of road cc! think of the Sensa Romagna Special at Merlin bikes? Great group set nice looking bike?  39

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think last comment says it all really.. Buy a bike that is going to make you want to ride the bloody thing! Even if it is grim outside! I visited Ribble Bikes then Merlin cycles today to do some more research, thought Merlin was a better place to shop and got more help from the guys there. Ribble's showroom is very small and only has around ten bikes to peruse. Ok I know they used to have a good shop and have decided to operate out of an industrial unit. Obviously financially it makes sense for them to do this. But so does Merlin but they had a very nice shop to peruse clothing, helmets, shoes etc as well as having tons of different bikes to look at, and at bloody good prices as well, Ribble bikes do look nice but so did a lot of the Merlin bikes, I think the more personable approach is a better way to do business and on that note I would be more likely to use Merlin as they were far more helpfikwhen listening to my needs, will keep you posted as with my research and eventual purchase!

Hoester | 9 years ago
0 likes

Choose whatever bike makes you happiest.

Its not always the 'best in test'. Lets face it, if you really get into it, it won't be the last bike you buy. If you buy a bike purely based on facts and reviews, but it doesn't get your juices flowing when you look at it in the garage, you won't ride it as often.

My favourite bikes have not been my most expensive, best specced or best performing bikes.

Look at reviews/specs/opinion by all means, they're great for forming a shortlist. But don't let the mind totally overrule the heart.

daddyELVIS | 9 years ago
0 likes

A mate got a CAAD8 - really rates it - I think they come in under the £1k mark.

Comrade | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just gone carbon after ... 6 years on aluminium ; Mekk 1.5 poggio sora cost £600. I am now on compact, and still have the Giant triple SCR2. I bought the bike for what I think is a good price and will upgrade once the bits wear out. Good luck!

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well still not decided yet where and what to purchase! The favourites at the moment are the 2015 Giant Defy 1 @ £900. Hoy Sa Calobra 003 @ £850. Orbea Aqua @ £880, or the B'Twin Mach 700 @ £850? Or a Ribble machine!  29  29  29

Tintow | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're coming from MTB and haven't tried road riding for a while, you could do worse than cover your bases and buy a CX bike. These are really versatile bikes that can do really well on the road with 28/25 road tyres, great off-road with CX tyres and also take mudguards for use as a winter bike.
Given what you say about your riding ability, you won't be able to tell the difference between a CX with road tyres and a road bike but you'll gain lots of flexibility - plus if you don't take to road riding you have a fast off-road bike to have fun on.
You can get a really decent CX bike well within the CTW scheme budget and still have money left over for SPD pedals (put these on your CX and half-n-half's on your MTB) and some SPD shoes and road tyres.
If you're lucky and have a decent Halfords nearby, the Boardman CX Team gets great reviews but there's plenty of choice in this segment.
Happy hunting!

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Very good comment. I've considered going to one of he many LBShops in my area and accepting the fact they haven't got the same stock and pricing abilities over the bigger chains. But getting that bike fit and set up properly for you is important I think. I have now called in 3 locals and 2 chain stores and feel there wasn't much between them. Some felt bloody awful and some ok but none outstanding yet! I'm in no rush so will carry on with research etc. I'm calling into Geoff Smith Cycles (Bolton) tomorrow. It gets good recommendations locally so will give some feedback on here. Fingers crossed!

Blue_Brevatto | 9 years ago
0 likes

One way to narrow your choice would be to decide you want the option of fitting fatter tyres (say up to 28mm). Or that you want to fit a full length mud-guards. Or even that you want to be able to use a pannier if the need arises. If you want all three options you will immediately reduce the field by >90%.

My experience from buying my first road bike was that in hindsight I simply didn't know enough about road riding, bike handling, feel and my own skills to make an informed choice. And I'm not sure what I could have done at the time to have changed that - it's only after owning and regularly riding several different bikes that one can get on a bike and say within a few minutes "No that feels odd" or "Yes this corners better than that one". Even now I'm not sure I could do that on a test ride "round the block" of the LBS. Where this is going is that I think you should recognize that it is entirely possible that in a year or two you will look back and realize you didn't make the perfect choice. There is uncertainty in the process and you need to recognize that. A poster in a different thread spoke about this in the context of obsessing over internet deals but it's the same idea - you can't be certain you have found the perfect choice beforehand so don't fret over it - just find a LBS which can give you a good bike-fit and where you feel you're being well treated and accept that your choice will be limited by their stock.

In the same vein it's also worth thinking about NOT spending the maximum you can afford. Buy something cheaper, push it to its limits (or yours) and ride it into the ground. When it's knackered (which might only take a year with heavy use) you can either upgrade or do another Cyclescheme from a more informed position.

Simon E replied to Blue_Brevatto | 9 years ago
0 likes

Blue_Brevatto makes some very good points.

As others have said, bikes are uniformly brilliant nowadays, we're incredibly spoilt for choice. Yes it's true - most frames are made in a small number of factories in Taiwan while the components are equally effective.

The important thing is that you buy the bike YOU really want to ride. 9 or 10 speed, this chainset or that is not the most important aspect.

There is no problem buying it from one shop (because it's the bike you want) and getting it serviced, new parts etc at another (because they treat you properly).

I too would recommend opting to spend a little less than your budget and get some tools, spares, clothing and so on.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well in that case just buy the one that looks the fastest. No, seriously. Buy the one that will drag you out of bed on Sunday mornings to thrash the knackers off it, because that will have infinitely more effect on your performance and enjoyment than any of the myriad small differences between what are all good bikes.

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes I haven't been into Cyclesurgery yet but have heard ok things of them. Evans do a price match also so at least you can't lose out

0 likes

There's at least half a dozen Ribbles on the club run, all very well liked by their owners.

I find Cycle Surgery to be ok, certainly better service than I've experienced from Evans. Then again, if you do want to buy from Evans, just challenge them to match the price. They might, or they might throw in some freebies instead.

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Replying to "do you have a brand in mind?" No not really just want the right bike for the right money. Ribble bikes are an option for me because they are only down the road from me. Still very undecided what to get! But thanks for the comments

Shanefutcher | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet x are the best company to buy bikes from.they have bikes with top quality spec plus u can get kitted out for low prices

0 likes

Trek 2.1 will be nice, you'll like it! Also, it's good that you're buying alu, because when you get hooked (you will!), you can demote it to your winter bike when you buy something blingy...

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

@half wheeler

good comments

bulk of 'brands' made by Giant (cannondale, non-project series Trek, etc,) or Merida (specialized aluminium, etc.) or smaller vendors

most important when choosing a 'brand'? support from local dealer, and warranty terms to take of your ownership...

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh goodness just found same bike for £800 now at Cycle Surgery!

Cheekyjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys for all the positive comments. Re rim and disc brakes, my MTB is a 8 year old Trek 6700 with rim brakes so I'm pretty used to them. They work pretty well for me! Managed to get to Evans this afternoon after work and was pleasantly surprised, after a good chat the sales chappie recommended the Trek Madone 2.1 H2 Compact. It was reduced to £850 from £1000, like you've said in previous post I think these priced bikes are going to be much of a muchness really but this seemed pretty good to me, I'm going to book myself a test ride on this me thinks! Watch is space!  16

HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ach...bikes at the same price range and with the same level of components are all much of a muchness to be honest.

All the components are made by the same company as are the frames and the finishing kits are all pretty similar.

I used to work for Rocky Mountain Bikes in their factory in Vancouver, Canada. The frames for the lower end bikes were imported from a frame manufacturer in Taiwan. The same frame manufacturer built frames for all the big brand names in North America: Kona, Giant, etc, etc.

All we did was paint the frames, stick on the transfers and components (which were made in Japan) then stick a label on that said "handbuilt in Canada". Which was true. In a way.

Buy a road bike, clip in, get the miles in, you'll be fine.

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

@notfastenough

giant defy is disc brake on carbon fibre models only. the defy aluminium are all caliper brakes as before.

notfastenough replied to hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes
hampstead_bandit wrote:

@notfastenough

giant defy is disc brake on carbon fibre models only. the defy aluminium are all caliper brakes as before.

Ah righto, thanks.

Binky | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can you not go to a chain store like Evans,Cycle Surgery they other more choice and wont try to push a certain brand onto you.

Take your time when choosing the bike, look at magazines and websites.
Choose what type of ride you want (winter is coming) will it be a all season bike or a best bike.

Do you have any brands in mind?

0 likes

Well first things first, it's increasingly difficult to buy a 'bad' bike, especially at the ultra-competitive cycle-to-work price point. Giant, Ribble, Enigma, plus most of the others you'll commonly see (trek, specialized, focus, cube, cannondale etc) will all offer a great bike for £1k. That said, for 2015 the Giant Defy range goes to all disc brakes, and coming from an MTB you're likely to be rather alarmed when you drop anchor on rim brakes for the first time in years!

KirinChris | 9 years ago
0 likes

He means that you won't get people going 'ooh' and 'aah' over a Giant.

That said, you won't get it on the other bikes you're looking at anyway so I wouldn't worry too much.

Giant make brilliant bikes which are great value, across their whole range. But you're right, the Ribble and Genesis also get good reviews.

I would go with something which has good reviews, is backed up by a company that is going to be around in 5 years and is comfortable for your legs and your budget.

alotronic | 9 years ago
0 likes

First of all your LBS will look after your bike no matter where it comes from because they need the work  1

Generally speaking a lot of LBS are horrible and some are utterly brilliant - you might want to ask local riders what the good ones are. Personally I only go into ANY bike shop when I have no choice at all as I find being patronised got pretty boring about twenty years ago - but there will be one nice one local enough to you I suspect! So the next forum question is... can you recommend me a bike shop near X.

Despite my cynism the area where a good bike shop could be of enormous help is in sizing. Do they have a sizing rig? Can you try the bikes on a trainer and get your friend (see below) to help?

Then you need to be clear about the kind of riding you want to do. Couple of hour blasts? Longer day rides? Sportives etc.

The next thing to do is find that friend of a friend who does that kind of riding and get them to come into your bike shop with you. Bullsh*t filter, very handy.

As for a specific brand/bike you will get all manner of suggestions now, from ribble sportives (amazing value) to genesis equilibrium (british modern classic) to giant defys (great bikes but no 'cachet') to whatever you LBS has an agreement with.

Good luck!

Cheekyjohn replied to alotronic | 9 years ago
0 likes

Then you need to be clear about the kind of riding you want to do. Couple of hour blasts? Longer day rides? Sportives?

As for a specific brand/bike you will get all manner of suggestions now, from ribble sportives (amazing value) to genesis equilibrium (british modern classic) to giant defys (great bikes but no 'cachet') to whatever you LBS has an agreement with.

Thanks for the info, much to think about. As far as type of riding I think Sportives are the goal but what you said in that order really. Hour blasts, longer day rides then the Sportives. What do you mean by Giant Defy, great bike but no cachet?

Latest Comments