Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Who uses orange lenses?

I was having a look in Decathlon the other day and tried on a pair of those orange lense glasses/goggles that supposed to be good in low light. They made the store look, well, orange. I wouldn't use them in daylight but I have a first week of lates finishing at 8pm coming up and the winter is not so far away when every home time will be dark. Does anyone recommend them or use them regularly after dark?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

baggies2354 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I experimented with the Oakley Hi-Yellow on evening commutes after dark, I found the persimmon too dark. \Eventually went back to the clear as the Yellow still block out a fair amount of light, even the clear block out around 7-9% of light so they are still darker than not wearing any, however I'm never on the bike without glasses whatever the time of day or weather.
http://www.evo.com/oakley-sunglasses-lens-tint-guide.aspx is a guide to Oakley lens transmissions with their recommended use.
Bolle are excellent lenses at a great price point, it's only when you see lenses tested on the laser scope that you get the true picture of clarity and distortion that separate the good from the bad.
Also us as cyclists need to take into account the impact resistance that lenses provide, Bernard Hinault falling wearing glass lensed Raybans in the Tour being a good example of what not to wear.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have used them before now in dull conditions but stopped when I picked up some polarised glasses which seem to fare better if the weather is patchy and you are getting sunny spells.

At night I always wear clear ones.

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use the ESP tinted Bolle Safety glasses most times, they're a little orange-beige and really help.

Works better than the clear ones in most conditions, and usually prefer them in full daylight to the tinted ones as well, easier to see in shaded city streets.

baggies2354 | 9 years ago
0 likes

All colours of lenses have filters which determine light transmission, the amount of light that a lens lets in. For example the standard Rayban G15 lens blocks out 85% of light and lets in 15%.
Lenses that are regarded as high contrast are usually yellow, orange, rose, brown, bronze or gold, all these colours enhance the contrast making things appear brighter. Blue lenses are not suitable for driving as they enhance the colour yellow but dull reds and greens, any correct documentation with a blue lens should state not suitable for driving. They however should not be confused with blue coated lenses such as Oakley's Ice Iridium these are not blue they have a blue coating on a grey base lens. All Oakley iridium coated lenses are applied to differing base colours, easy to see just look through the back of the lens.
Grey lenses are often used as a grey lens does not tint colour it is regarded as a neutral colour transmission lens, any of the high contrast lenses will tint colour to a degree. There is quite a bit of difference in light transmission between Yellow and Orange/Persimmon, with the Yellow allowing a lot more light through, both are great for low light conditions though. Final option is a photochromic lens which will lighten and darken with the light conditions although the transition is not instant and can take a few minutes, these lenses can go from almost clear to black, David Millar wore the Oakley version last year.

MuddyGoose | 9 years ago
0 likes

I do. I cycled this morning with my Orange lenses because it was dull. They're not good when the sun comes out though! Also they can make it look deceptively bright, so if you only turn your lights on when dusk arrives beware; you'll reach a stopping point lift your glasses up and realise just how dark it has become and that you probably should have had your lights on for the last 20 km.

Chuck | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wear them for MTB all the time, and for road when it's dull and gloomy. I'd probably just use the clear ones though if I was going out when it's properly dark.
You get used to the tint very quickly, but everything looks odd for a bit when you take them off!

themartincox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm a rose-tinted pink-lens fan.

the day's seem brighter and the decisions sensible with rose-tinted lenses!

Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use the orange lenses when wearing my retro Bic jersey because they match.

Tony Farrelly | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use orange lenses more often than not - they're good in low light conditions dusk, dawn or good old British default grey. Was out wearing them a couple of hours ago. Never had any problem not seeing indicators

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use some of the orange decathlon ones when it's cloudy. They immediately brighten everything up.

I wish they did rose tinted ones  26

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use orange lenses in the winter, even at night if it gets dark when i am out. Never had a problem with them but they do make traffic lights look funny colours at times

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've never had a problem seeing indicators in mine, but I'll caveat that by stating that 99% of my riding is quiet back roads or long main roads without a lot of junctions where people would turn in front of you - so I'm nothing like as hawk eyed for indicators as I used to be when I commuted into London on the bike (which was before I got the yellow lenses).

stealfwayne | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thought there was some restrictions on coloured lenses, Somethiong to do with cancelling out indicators so you are at increased risk as unable to see a car turning left for instance.
Happy to be corrected. I have polarised yellow, red, and dark grey Oakleys. Yellow in low light is amazing. I am just wary..... thoughts please

sm | 9 years ago
0 likes

What are the blue lenses for?

jollygoodvelo replied to sm | 9 years ago
0 likes
sm wrote:

What are the blue lenses for?

Helping the Police with their Yewtree enquiries.

I use the yellow lenses from my Aldi set quite a lot on dull days - your eyes acclimatise after a couple of minutes. Wouldn't use them after dark though, that's time for the clear lenses. I've got some Uvex with Savlon-orange lenses too, don't like them much.

Leviathan replied to jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gizmo_ wrote:

Wouldn't use them after dark though, that's time for the clear lenses.

I already use Bolle Bandido clear goggles all the time to keep rubbish out of my eyes, I am just wondering if yellow orange lenses will be better for night time. Some people say yes, some like gizmo, no. Suck it and see I guess.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love my low-light lenses (yellow in my case), many a dull but dry day is made to feel artificially sunny by wearing them.

I always seem to enjoy myself more when the suns out, trick of the light or not  1

Tannwick | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have some as part of a 3 lens set. Quite useful on the evening rides at this time of year, do seem to increase the brightness on dull days also.

Latest Comments