Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Specific Chain Tool for Dura-Ace 9000?

I ordered the Ultegra 6800 chain from pedal on to go with a 6800 11 speed cassette- they had a stock error on the chain, so kindly sent me the next chain up - the Dura Ace 9000. I have never replaced a chain before, I have seen quite a few YouTube videos, and it seems fairly straightforward. I have a chain tool as part of a multi-tool that I carry in my saddlebag- will this do, or should I buy a specific chain tool made for the Dura-Ace chain? If yes, can anyone recommend which one?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

WDG | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just for information KMC say the links on 11-speed are non-reusable.

lisa76uk replied to WDG | 9 years ago
0 likes
WDG wrote:

I've used a KMC 11 speed link, removed the chain a handful of times to clean it, replaced it using the same link and done 1000km on it without a problem.

Skybird replied to lisa76uk | 9 years ago
0 likes
lisa76uk wrote:
WDG wrote:

I've used a KMC 11 speed link, removed the chain a handful of times to clean it, replaced it using the same link and done 1000km on it without a problem.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I did get a Park Tools chain tool from Wiggle, worked perfectly, cracking piece of kit. Was blissfully unaware of the KMC option, that seems a much better idea, am definitely going to invest.

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Of course, having used your chain tool to bring the chain to the correct length, you could seize this opportunity to fit a KMC "Missing Link" or similar. Working on the chain then becomes a doddle and a tool-less doddle at that.

Leeroy_Silk replied to mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes
mike the bike wrote:

Of course, having used your chain tool to bring the chain to the correct length, you could seize this opportunity to fit a KMC "Missing Link" or similar. Working on the chain then becomes a doddle and a tool-less doddle at that.

Totally agree with 'Mike the Bike'. Just make sure you get one for an 11 speed chain, my old 10 speed ones fitted but were looser than a whores draws! Hence the use of the pointless snap pin.

AWP | 9 years ago
0 likes

I too fitted a DA 9000 hollow pin chain using a standard chain tool.

Leeroy_Silk | 9 years ago
0 likes

I fitted a DA9000 chain last week using my standard chain tool, no problems splitting the chain and no problem putting a snap pin back in either.
If you need any further info all of Shimano's dealer installation instructions can be found here:
http://si.shimano.com

Latest Comments