Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Bike - With Upgraded wheels

Hi All,

Looking to purchase my First Road bike and been looking at the Scott Cr1 20 2015 Model, (this is not 100% final choice)
The choice of Road Bikes these days is unbelivable and have been struggling to choose the final one.

Does anyone have a CR1 and if so what are their experiance in owning one? Also is it work buying a bike with Updraded wheels and if so what advice can somone give on a good upgrade choice.

Thanks for any advice

Scott

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

joeegg | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just bought a 2013 CR1 Elite fitted with a Sram groupset.
The bike is pretty light,probably saving about a kilo over my Cube.
The ride is not as comfortable as i expected,even with some Shimano carbon wheels i have.
I bought it to ride things like sportives up to around 100 mile and so far i have done rides up to about 80 mile.I think it will be ideal for this.
It won't be used in bad weather so can't comment on the water in frame problem.
My bike came with some Syncros wheels which are comparable in weight to my Shimanos and the bike climbs really well.
What i would say was buy the bike from a local dealer who you find good to deal with.I bought mine over the intenet and the supplier was dreadful , actually to the point of being insulting over the phone.
I wish i had waited as a dealer near to me has a Cannondale Super 6 Ultegra in for just £100 more than i paid for the Scott. Also the Cube GTC SL can had at a similar discounted price .

SCOTT1974 replied to joeegg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies, i will take a look at the ones mentioned.
My local dealer does do most bikes, but insists i should get a medium, all other bike shops say i am a large. Height 5ft 11".

Does anyone have any comments on the Bianchi Intenso ? Another local shop is doing this for £1500.00, not been out on it yet but might do this weekend if i get time.

glynr36 replied to SCOTT1974 | 9 years ago
0 likes
SCOTT1974 wrote:

Thanks for the replies, i will take a look at the ones mentioned.
My local dealer does do most bikes, but insists i should get a medium, all other bike shops say i am a large. Height 5ft 11".

Does anyone have any comments on the Bianchi Intenso ? Another local shop is doing this for £1500.00, not been out on it yet but might do this weekend if i get time.

Sizes aren't reliable.
One brands large is not another brands large. There is more to sizing than just your height too.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're looking at spending £1600 on it with the Ksyriums, you could pick up the Canyon Utimate CF Sl 8.0 for £1614 (2014 model)
Same wheelset, campag athena 11 speed, better finishing kit, comes in at around 1kg less too.

SCOTT1974 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well they shop have offered me the below wheel options on the Scott CR1 20 (2015)

Mavic Aksium wheels at £1419
Fulcrum Racing 5 £ 1423.01
Mavic Ksyrium Elite S (Mavic's Yksion Pro tyres) £1666.05

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

£1500 doesn't get you a bad bike at all, just some are better than others.
Have a look at canyon as well, really good value.

As for your thought on upgraded wheels, depends what they are as standard, and how much you're spending/what you want from them.

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just bought a 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo for £1175.

SCOTT1974 replied to DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

Where From? - Thats a good price !

SPAM Naval | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi

I'd largely echo bikemadjo's comments though not to the same extent of issues. I ride a 2010 CR1 Pro and havn't found it the most comfortable of frames either (for a sportive oriented bike) on longer rides although it is light.
also my 2010 has CR1 has no room for tyres above above a 23mm. Not sure if Scott has adapted since then to suit larger tyres but something worth checking.

SCOTT1974 replied to SPAM Naval | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the Info SPAM,

I will check it out. Another bike been looking at is the Bianchi Intenso.
I'm still having the same issue no matter what bike shop i go in, they all seem to advise that whatever bike they are selling these are the best and wont comment on another brand if they dont sell it, so i dont feel i am getting the right advice.

It seems that around the 1500 price range there are some good bikes out there, but making the short list is proving harder than i expected.

giobox replied to SCOTT1974 | 9 years ago
0 likes
SCOTT1974 wrote:

I'm still having the same issue no matter what bike shop i go in, they all seem to advise that whatever bike they are selling these are the best and wont comment on another brand if they dont sell it, so i dont feel i am getting the right advice.

In fairness, did you really expect otherwise? The bike shop ultimately wants to make a sale, not drive business to competitors.

The nice truth is these days it's pretty hard to buy a bad bike if you are spending a reasonable amount.

bikemadjo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a 2013 CR1 Pro, and would have to say in hindsight i would not have another one. bought it hoping that it would be good for sportives, unfortunately it is neither comfortable nor quick and i have had nothing but problems with my bike and here are some of my issues:
- Bottom bracket lets water in
- Headset comes loose every couple of months
- Fork paint started peeling after a couple of weeks
- Bike won't let water out of the frame as there is no hole to let water out
- LH Brake rattle (not Scott's problem but still rubbish)

Took it back to the dealer i bought it from (Damian Harris) and they did very little to help sort the problems blaming me, i fought this and had it sent to Scott and they said the same but replaced the faults at trade cost, (which i did appreciate) but it took 4 months to get it back from them (which i didn't appreciate).

Over all i would steer clear as not only has the bike let me down (and i have no confidence in it anymore) Scott also gave me really bad service and i had to fight tooth and nail to get the above service from them and that only occurred from threatening legal action!.

Maybe they have fixed the problems above on the new models, but i won't be buying from Scott ever again.

SCOTT1974 replied to bikemadjo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the info, it's good the hear from someone that has had one. As I say the choice is massive and still not sure on what to go for. Have been looking at Bianchi also.

Every shop seems to advise different depending on what they sell. Was also looking at a cube but been told the frames are not good.

TheFatAndTheFurious replied to SCOTT1974 | 9 years ago
0 likes

On the Cube comment, my personal experience is with my 2010 Cube Agree SL - aluminum frame, carbon fork - and I absolutely love it to bits.

It's not the lightest, coming in at 9.2kg when fully kitted out with bottle cages, saddle bag, Garmin, rear light etc, but it's just wonderful for rolling along for mile after mile thanks to the thin rear stays absorbing most of the road buzz.

That said, I'm a middle-aged bloke, decidedly not cranking out 600W and worrying about frame flex.

As for wheel upgrades, the bike came with entry-level Easton Vista SL wheels though, which while good-looking, do not seem to have much in the way of longevity. Spokes have broken front and rear, and the rear "sealed" hub lost all lube after its first proper soaking, so wheels were the first major upgrade.

I was vearing towards a set of Campag Zondas, but got a super deal on some Fulcrum Racing 3s and will be putting them to use shortly. These were the first level of wheels where weights fell properly under the 1.7kg/set mark without an exponential price rise. They get excellent reviews for smoothness, strength and reliability, coming as they do with cup/cone bearings which I can service myself rather than the sealed type. The rims have no exterior spoke holes so saving the need for rim tape.

My 2 cents. Happy shopping!

Latest Comments