Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Bike Help!

Hi,

I have been looking for a new road bike for a while and am now settling on the Trek Madone 2.1 H2 Compact 2014 for £900 but was wondering if anyone could agree or disagree with this choice. I almost bought the Wilier Izoard XP 2014 for £1040 but decided against Carbon because I don't think I would look after it well enough. Also, there are a lot of people that say downtube roof carriers should not be used. Wilier even agreed with this.

I will mainly be cycling for fitness and fun (anything up to 100 miles or so). Possible throw in some club runs, TT's and charity rides. I live in a fairly hilly area too. Is the Trek a good choice or should I go for something else? Don't really want to go over £900.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Seems to be advertised in various stores, but here's an example (an L-ishBS of mine):

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/trek-madone-2-1-c-black.html

£850 is very good value for the 2014 model though.

shastings18 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Where did you see the 2015 for sale? Evans have just knocked the 2014 down to £850 and I have the white one on order for pick up tomorrow.

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

As a further thought, it looks like the 2015 model year alloy Madones are now on sale. The 2.1 looks to be available in Trek Factory Racing colours (if you like that sort of thing) and it comes with new 11-speed Shimano 105.

One small criticism of mine is the 12-30 cassette. Don't get me wrong, the 30 tooth has got me out of trouble many times, but the gaps between the gears are perhaps too big, meaning you sometimes can't find the "right" gear. The narrower 11-28 cassette on the new version would help with that, albeit at the expense of a very low gear.

shastings18 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your message. Think I'll go with the Trek 2.1 then and put conti Gatorskins on it. Had those on my last (very cheap) bike and they were brilliant! And it's gone down by £50 tonight. Result!

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got the exact same Trek that you're considering (the all black one?) and couldn't be happier with it.

Was the "best" bike for me from about half a dozen offerings from the usual suspects; Giant, Scott, Cannondale, Cube etc around the grand mark. As it was a first road bike purchase I wanted to go LBS where I could test ride and get fitted rather than take a gamble online.

It's a quality bike and decent value for money. I use it daily for commuting as well as weekend forays and it's needed little-to-no real attention other than the occasional clean and lube.

After 9 months I'm thinking the standard saddle isn't for me, and the stock tyres are an obvious compromise too, not much confidence when the roads are damp. Both are of course easily changed.

It's otherwise a good, willing ride, as my fitness has improved I can push harder and it doesn't disappoint, it's quite an eager climber when you put the effort in. It's reasonably comfortable too, ok, you know you're on the road, but it is an aluminium frame after all.

I'd recommend it, or perhaps have a look at the 2.3 for another couple of hundred quid, it's got better wheels and brakes but is otherwise the same spec as the 2.1.

Sniffer | 9 years ago
0 likes

There is a review of the Trek on this site.

The big brands are generally good value and if you like the look of it and it suits you I doubt you will feel dissapointed.

This might be worth a read if you have not done so already.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/121928-10-best-road-bikes-under-£1000

shastings18 replied to Sniffer | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. The Cannondale CAAD8 6 Tiagra was one on my shortlist which I took off in favour of the Trek. Now I'm not sure as it has a good review here! Supposed to be picking the Trek up tomorrow but now I'm not sure again!

SCOTT1974 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi

How about the Scott Speedster 20 2015 model ??

Latest Comments