Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planning and buying a road bike my first

Hey Guys,

So new to the forum, a quick hello.

I’ll be quick on here, ive always owned a hardtail, but im doing more and more commuting, sportives etc. on the road.

Having a mountain bike im not really getting the joys of owning one compared to a road bike. Im running slicks on my MTB at the moment and just completed Manchester 100k yesterday on it. Im a big guy weight wise about 109kg, but I have decided to invest money into a road bike and clock up some miles.

My company do ridetowork where I can save a lot of money on a bike but would ideally to purchase one on that but if I can’t not a problem. I have a budget in mind and I know what I want on the bike.

Ive started to have a look at bikes around sub £1000 (personal purchase) and up to £1800 if purchased through (ridetowork).

Specs id like:

Carbon Frame and Fork
A decent brand, reliable, trusting, good after sales
Ultegra Groupset
Good colour options
Wouldn’t need to upgrade much
General good reviews

Looking at:
Trek Emonda S6
Planet X Pro Carbon
Planet X R57
Cannondale Synapse BOTY 2014
Ribble Special Edition Sportive

Any others you recommend.

Being pushed towards Planet X value for money. Any input is appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd shy away from the Pro Carbon. The forks are very noodly, IMO. For the price it's a decent frame, I guess, but that price was £230 for a while on the PX website.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Be aware that unless you can 'top up' the cyclescheme or your employer has a consumer credit licence, you can only buy a bike up to £1000 on the scheme. That £1000 costs you (depending on your tax band) somewhere between 20% and 40% less (ie, somewhere between £600 and £800).

I had a Cannondale CAAD8 on cycle to work. Loved it.

Daveyraveygravey replied to jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gizmo_ wrote:

Be aware that unless you can 'top up' the cyclescheme or your employer has a consumer credit licence, you can only buy a bike up to £1000 on the scheme. That £1000 costs you (depending on your tax band) somewhere between 20% and 40% less (ie, somewhere between £600 and £800).

I had a Cannondale CAAD8 on cycle to work. Loved it.

I thought that too not sure how you get to spend £1800. Think the value of the bike will be £1000 but will cost you around £700.

C.Gregs | 9 years ago
0 likes

Although I've never ridden it, the Canyon Endurance CF has great reviews. Ultegra build for £1699.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3502

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would find it hard to look beyond PlanetX myself, great spec. A lot of people recommend trying as many as you can and going with the one that makes you happiest regardless of spec. The big usp of PX at that price is the groupset but that shouldn't divert you from the rest of the spec. Are the wheels any good? Can you upgrade from the PX wheels relatively cheaply? At least where you are you can visit the shop and talk through the options - not so easy when you live near Brighton! Merlin cycles also offer some interesting bikes, Sensa amongst them. Might be worth a look

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would find it hard to look beyond PlanetX myself, great spec. A lot of people recommend trying as many as you can and going with the one that makes you happiest regardless of spec. The big usp of PX at that price is the groupset but that shouldn't divert you from the rest of the spec. Are the wheels any good? Can you upgrade from the PX wheels relatively cheaply? At least where you are you can visit the shop and talk through the options - not so easy when you live near Brighton! Merlin cycles also offer some interesting bikes, Sensa amongst them. Might be worth a look

Latest Comments