Home

Wednesday morning warming up just before 10 am in leafy Essex. On a training ride with Phil the Hill. Take a blind right turn up a narrow'hiily road' in Essex. Confronted with a Landrover desceng at ....miles an hour. Screeeam, no effect my bike and are struck head on and end up on the road...................

16 comments

quintana007 [3 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I was on this bike

arfa [747 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Looks like a bit of cosmetic damage there, drop it into your LBS and I am sure they'll patch it up for you  3
Seriously, pretty amazing you're able to write about this one and hope any physical and mental scars heal quickly

Binky [116 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

How did you ride it in that condition  13 39

I bet your insurance company had a laugh when you gave them the details  21

giobox [356 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I think putting this bike on the workstand for some tuning might have been a little optimistic  13

nuclear coffee [209 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

So what you're saying is, Cervelos should be mandatory?

Bring out one with proper brakes and I'll get behind that  1

Super Domestique [1605 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Ouch!

Are you OK?

As for the bike, it might buff out!!

jova54 [653 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Did you get his number, or is it imprinted in the frame?

Glad you seem to be OK, shame the same can't be said about your bike  2

gazer117 [26 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Probably still rides better than a Carerra  3

Leviathan [1972 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I believe that is what is called a 'crumple zone.' Any photos of the Landrover?

0 likes

Thanks guys. It was a Freelander, not a single mark on the Freelander. I did split my lip and cracked a bone in my left hand. So did the Cervelo crumple zone save my life  11

notfastenough [3679 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I take it he stopped? Has he admitted liability?

mzungu [40 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

It'll polish out...

Hope you mend up quickly.

Skybird [10 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Wow. If lucky is a word that could be used in this situation, I think you have been! Would hope he admitted liability immediately, apologised, and gave you a lift home? Bet he didn't though! Sad to admit, I looked at your pictures and said out loud..."I have that saddlebag too! " Glad you weren't too badly hurt.

0 likes

Thanks guys. He stopped, did not admit liability but offered to take me hom.e I accepted. He told me his name was Steve, an architect. I did not take his number. I was just glad I could walk and talk.  7
A passerby said the 'wheels saved you'. Of interest the tubular was peeled off the rim but did not deflate  40

Leviathan [1972 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Just how wide was this narrow lane? Like Landrover wide? And where were you before you were on the bonnet?

And I though Architects were the good guys*:
http://www.archdaily.com/33366/fictional-architects-in-movies/

*says former Architect(ural technician) turned evil** Banker
**not evil really, nice.

DavidC [140 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

It's the luck of the moment. I had a bad crash that left me looking like your bike, and I was quite shocked (after leaving the hospital) to find my bike almost unscathed — the saddle was bent, and the rear derailleur was scratched (but unharmed and still in use today) but I didn't even have to change the bar tape. It wasn't the first impact that I shared with the bike that did me in — it was my hitting the ground afterward that caused all the damage.