Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Did Cervelo Save my life?

Wednesday morning warming up just before 10 am in leafy Essex. On a training ride with Phil the Hill. Take a blind right turn up a narrow'hiily road' in Essex. Confronted with a Landrover desceng at ....miles an hour. Screeeam, no effect my bike and are struck head on and end up on the road...................

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just how wide was this narrow lane? Like Landrover wide? And where were you before you were on the bonnet?

And I though Architects were the good guys*:
http://www.archdaily.com/33366/fictional-architects-in-movies/

*says former Architect(ural technician) turned evil** Banker
**not evil really, nice.

quintana007 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys. He stopped, did not admit liability but offered to take me hom.e I accepted. He told me his name was Steve, an architect. I did not take his number. I was just glad I could walk and talk.  7
A passerby said the 'wheels saved you'. Of interest the tubular was peeled off the rim but did not deflate  40

Skybird | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wow. If lucky is a word that could be used in this situation, I think you have been! Would hope he admitted liability immediately, apologised, and gave you a lift home? Bet he didn't though! Sad to admit, I looked at your pictures and said out loud..."I have that saddlebag too! " Glad you weren't too badly hurt.

mzungu | 9 years ago
0 likes

It'll polish out...

Hope you mend up quickly.

DavidC | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's the luck of the moment. I had a bad crash that left me looking like your bike, and I was quite shocked (after leaving the hospital) to find my bike almost unscathed — the saddle was bent, and the rear derailleur was scratched (but unharmed and still in use today) but I didn't even have to change the bar tape. It wasn't the first impact that I shared with the bike that did me in — it was my hitting the ground afterward that caused all the damage.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

I take it he stopped? Has he admitted liability?

0 likes

Thanks guys. It was a Freelander, not a single mark on the Freelander. I did split my lip and cracked a bone in my left hand. So did the Cervelo crumple zone save my life  11

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I believe that is what is called a 'crumple zone.' Any photos of the Landrover?

gazer117 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Probably still rides better than a Carerra  3

jova54 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Did you get his number, or is it imprinted in the frame?

Glad you seem to be OK, shame the same can't be said about your bike  2

Super Domestique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ouch!

Are you OK?

As for the bike, it might buff out!!

rggfddne | 9 years ago
0 likes

So what you're saying is, Cervelos should be mandatory?

Bring out one with proper brakes and I'll get behind that  1

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think putting this bike on the workstand for some tuning might have been a little optimistic  13

Binky | 9 years ago
0 likes

How did you ride it in that condition  13  39

I bet your insurance company had a laugh when you gave them the details  21

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Looks like a bit of cosmetic damage there, drop it into your LBS and I am sure they'll patch it up for you  3
Seriously, pretty amazing you're able to write about this one and hope any physical and mental scars heal quickly

0 likes

I was on this bike

Latest Comments