Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

dura ace mechanical 11sp issues

I'm tempted to buy this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/teammachine-slr01-dura-ace-2014-...

but i'm not impressed with dura ace 11sp mechanical at all, sounds very industrial to me and seemed to have to do lots of self trimming, and whats the deal with that teflon plate on the inside of the derailieur cage at the front? designed to rub the chain.

I'll probably upgrade it to dura ace di2 anyway, my cx bike is an ultegra/105 mix 10sp and I don't have to do any trimming compared to dura ace 11sp mechanical.

I hope bmc don't have a 2015 slr01 coming out soon...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Never got these issues with campag 11 speed......

Leeroy_Silk replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I set up DA9000 earlier this evening, runs like a dream! Don't even need to trim front derailleur  3

dazzle | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had this bmc slr01 in mechanical dura ace, di2 and the slr02 in ultegra di2. All ran terribly lots of rough drivetrain noise, gears slipping off cogs, all were especially bad in the granny gear when climbing hills, even had me thinking it was the frame causing the issue? or 52/36 semi compact gearing to blame?

It's not like I'm cross chaining either. I thought a di2 upgrade to an existing mechanical would be pretty straightforward?

giobox replied to dazzle | 9 years ago
0 likes

It is, once you've worked out which di2 parts you actually need.

The most difficult part of any after market di2 install is working out which bits you will need for your particular frame, it isn't one size fits all like the mechanical group set.

There is a range of wire lengths, wire types, junction boxes, batteries, battery mounts etc to choose from, and shimano's documentation is pretty terrible in advising on what to do or buy. It's far more difficult than it should be to get the part selection 100 percent correct on first attempt.

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you want a Di2 bike I would not buy the mechanical one, unless you relish the idea of working on the Di2 installation.

The problem with 11 speed mechanical is miniaturization. We've gone from 8 to 11 cogs in the same space. The chain has become more flexible. The derailleur movements need to be more precise. The aero craze encouraged internal cable routing. It can all add up to bad shifting.

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I hope bmc don't have a 2015 slr01 coming out soon...

I'd be very surprised if they don't. Although whether it's anything more than a repaint of the 2013-2014 model is another matter.

Latest Comments