Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BBC article on cyclists colliding with guide dogs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28945834

Kind of depressing - as vulnerable road users, one would hope that all cyclists would have more empathy with even more vulnerable road/shared use path/pavement users.

I expect this is caused by a minority of idiots, but then so are a lot of car issues in my experience.

Cue discussion on RLJing... Personally I say never do it. I would be pretty angry (an understatement) if a car jumped a red light and hit me, caused a near miss or even made me take evasive action . If I jumped a red light and hit/buzzed/forced evasic action from a pedestrian, guide dog etc, I think they would be quite right to be angry too.

Please can we all cycle considerately? Others' safety is more important than a few seconds of our time or the effort of getting back up to speed, and we ought to know it better than anyone.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

The other day a person with a guide dog walked straight into me in Waitrose.

Just sayin'.

There are idiots everywhere. Some of them ride bikes.

oozaveared | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am not buying the numbers either and my sister is blind. Riding on busy pavements is not to be condoned. I have actually stopped one lad on a BMX myself. But it's not that common.

I think its a bit of a silly season news hunt really. Only a few months ago we had motoring lobbyist complaining that the light phasing at pedestrian crossings might be increased to help the disabled and the increasingly older population cross more safely and be less intimidated. The BBC bottled that by not asking him why he wasn't thoroughly ashamed of himself.

I'm not in favour of blind people being knocked over anymore than I am of anyone else being hit by pavement cyclists. But there are more dangerous predators out there in the jungle than a few kids on a BMX.

Eebijeebi | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not exactly impartial reporting of cycling related news by not including it (to date) on here as a item.

zanf | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wonder why it is that the BBC (which likes to run a lot of articles with an anti cyclist stance) says absolutely nothing about the +350KSI's every year from cars mounting the pavement?

How many guide dogs have been hit by vehicles that have RLJ'd?

Quote:

Kind of depressing - as vulnerable road users, one would hope that all cyclists would have more empathy with even more vulnerable road/shared use path/pavement users.

Why would using a particular form of transport make you more empathic? If you don't have much empathy, youre not going to have any more whether youre riding a bike or driving a car/bus/lorry/aeroplane/space shuttle.

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

16 people with guide dogs have said they've been hit by cyclists on the pavement in an unspecified time frame.

Which isn't great, but it's not quite so bad when it's put like that.

It is though a great argument against "shared use" pavements and paths- we do need to segregate cyclists and pedestrians.

P3t3 | 9 years ago
0 likes

"Kind of depressing - as vulnerable road users, one would hope that all cyclists would have more empathy with even more vulnerable road/shared use path/pavement users."

Why would you hope that? They (cyclists) are just people after all, and out of a group of any people you will see varying levels of empathy, thoughtfulness and thoughtlessnes. People also drive - and look how much empathy for people on bikes they do or don't have, again its a range that reflects society as a whole.

I wonder how many people with guide dogs have had problems being barged into by people on foot?

Its a classic article picking on an out group. Your post just reflects the anti cyclist band wagon that cyclists should "get their house in order" when in fact cyclists are just people, not an organised group.

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ok... playing devils advocate for a bit and moving aside that there are a minority of total idiots out there.

But... the numbers quoted seem really high, and I can't help but question that of 320 guide dogs in the city, 80 have been run over by a cyclist.

I always get a bit nancy when people talk about hooligan cyclists... yes there are a few idiots, but actually, the vast majority of us are getting from A - B as safely as we can.

However, I am sure more than the few idiots out there will be perceived to be riding like hooligans if you asked the general populous.

I remember a while ago having a chat with a bloke I'd met coming the other way on a descent on a narrow road. He said that when he saw me, he was adamant that we were going to have a crash, however I stopped comfortably in time... which amazed him... the point is, people have a perception of what we as cyclists are doing that may not always be accurate.

There is not a single cyclist I know that would ride looking to hit any pedestrian, let alone single out the visually impaired.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

What kind of moron doesn't give an extra wide berth too/take great care around anyone with a white stick or guide dog?

I'm filled with admiration every time I see someone brave enough to take public transport in London without being able to see. I'm not sure I'd ever be able to do that.

Just like when you ride past a parked car you are particular aware of getting doored and ride appropriately, I treated pedestrians the same way - for both our safety.

Latest Comments