Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Decisions for my new F8

I am in the fortunate position of having a new F8 on order which I am hoping will be a bit of an improvement on the Caad 8 that I have been riding for the past three years.

The bike will be coming with SR EPS and at the minute I have opted for a set of Campy Bora Ultra 2's which I think will finish the setup off nicely, but... this would be my first tub set and im not sure if I want to go down the tub route for obvious reasons. majority of my rides are 40-60 mile club rides in the peak district but am planning on stepping up a gear next year with some 100 sportives.

I still have options on the wheelset - as I am getting a pretty top notch deal (like a 35% disc on the whole package but this is a one time opportunity) I am thinking why not get the ultra 2's at a good price, 1) they are a top notch set of wheels and 2) they look fricking awesome (especially with the matt 950 colour scheme and groupset) and then maybe get a set of mid range clinchers probs some shamals or similar. But then I am also thinking why spend a lot of money on a set of wheels that I wont be confident enough to ride on a big one and may end up sat in the garage for a majority of the time. I could just get the shamals and save a bit of cash and get some major Kudos with the wife when I give her some change to go shopping with.

I have read endless opinions on tubs vs clinchers and seem to be changing my mind after every thread read. I could carry a spare tub with me which I know other riders at the club do but at the back of my mind I think why have a 2k set of wheels that you wouldnt feel confident in riding when performance is most important to you i.e. a 100 mile sportive event or maybe eventually a road race.

Other wheel options to Campy are limited to Corima or Shimano.

Look forward to hearing a few opinions

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

I guess it's the consumables cost that will be the pain over time. Buying a great bike using a bonus, savings or credit card is one thing, but a new SR cassette and chain, tubs, replacement spokes for the Boras etc won't be cheap. Glad you like it though!

stu287 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Did my first 100m ride on it over the weekend over some pretty harsh roads in the peak district. Tubs came out unscathed and seem to still be in pretty good nick (conti competitions), I am now carrying a spare tub plus tape plus a can of pit stop and a co2 inflator with spare cannister which leaves me pretty full in the jersey pockets! it does however leave me with some confidence that I can get through a decent ride without the dreaded call home.

The bike is awesome, started to get a few cups on strava now which never used to happen. my eps still needs a bit of playing with to get it right but other than that i am a happy person. the start of the sportive i rode on Sunday was fun with all of the comments on my bike - probs some people thinking all the gear no idea etc. but hey she still makes me smile everytime i walk into the garage and see her hanging there on the wall  1 descents are another world on this thing, partly I think with the renewed confidence of a better bike but would say mostly down to quality.

Am still saving for a set of shamals for a change of scenery and to save a bit of ware on the tubs and with some different gearing (they aint cheap to replace)! trouble with all this campy stuff is that even a cassette costs about 300 quid.

Am still yet to see another one of these on the road apart from test riding with the guy I bought it off which will be nice while it lasts.

Raleigh | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm about to start riding with tubs not in races - I feel like I need the extra carbon on my group rides.

I needed new tubs anyway (don't get vittoria. Fast, but last about 300km before being shredded) so I got two Conti Competitions and a Conti Giro as a spare. I've always used tape, so I'll just carry a roll of tape with the Giro folded up in a rear pocket, and probably some Pitstop just in case.

Let us know how it rides.

0 likes

Super smashing great. I'd have been hankering after a slightly more colourful end result myself, but with something that expensive I can certainly see the rationale in going 'stealth'... I'll bet it's quick.

stu287 | 9 years ago
0 likes

first 200 miles done and im pretty happy!

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

You could put some sealant in your tubs; I'm using Stans No Tubes at the mo. I can't comment on it further as I haven't had a puncture........as far as I know.

For me, there's something about riding on tubs, it just feels better. I carry one rolled up tightly in my back pocket and most of the tape is usually left stuck to the rim for a robust fit.

stu287 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your replies.

I have been down to get sized up this afternoon and have decided on going with some ultra 2 tubs, I will carry a spare in my tool bottle and see how it goes. Think i will spend a bit of time on youtube studying the best way to replace when out on a ride.

I have managed to get a pair of the 80th anniversary editions as well which look amazing fitted.

Just cant wait to collect on thursday now!

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're going from a CAAD8 and corresponding wheels, you're going from a 4 to a 9.8 with the Shamals, will you really notice the 0.05 extra that tubular a give you over decent clinchers?

kev-s | 9 years ago
0 likes

i run clinchers and tubs on two bikes

clinchers on the work bike

tubs on the weekend bike

go for the tubs, if you do flat then just carry a can of vittoria pitstop, its a sealant and c02 in one and will put 90+psi in your tub

it will fix normal punctures and is easy to use, there are other sealants like specialized airlock that you put in the tub before you get a puncture for protection

if you buy the clinchers you will always think what if, at least if you buy the tubs if you do decide they are not for you then just sell them on and buy some clinchers, your getting a discount so i doubt you will lose much in the way of £££

worst case you slash the tyre and its unrepairable, you can still ride on the flat tub to the nearest train station etc... the glue will keep the tub in place

i also carry a spare pre glued tub, ive folded mine up quite small & strap it to my tool bottle that carry's my vittoria pitstop, multi tool, spare c02 etc....

buy the right tub and it will roll up quite small

http://cadencecycling.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/classics-leadout-part-2-tub...

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2011/10/gold-standard-gear-best-tubular-spa...

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tubs are as likely to puncture as a set of clinchers... with that in mind, you have to be comfortable carrying around a spare tub with you everywhere you go.

That's not actually that bad a thing to have to do, but it does detract from the look of the bike a bit.

Yes they perform better, yes they look awesome, but again, you have to be comfy throwing £50 down the drain every time you puncture.

This year I've been racing locally on clinchers for the first time in years, and do you know what, I'm happy enough with them.

So... my recommendation is to get a really good set of clinchers and save the tubs to the road racers who have a following car.

Both Shamals and Neutrons are solid wheels.

J90 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not a bad winter bike to have  39

0 likes

A lovely dilemma to have, anyway!  4

As for the wheels, I be tempted to sit part-way between the two - I'd opt for Wheelsmith Aero 38 clinchers - they're £740, so not cheapo, but you could ride (and repair punctures on) them on a regular basis. Get the shamals or whatever for climbing maybe.

(Read your point about other options limited to Corima or Shimano - is that just because they are the ones that are sold by the LBS that's doing the discounting?)

With a Campag group I wouldn't take Shimano wheels, it'd look a bit odd. Others may tell me I'm being too fussy, but let's face it, if you're spending upwards of £8k on a bike, it has to be perfect. Telling your wife you still had to compromise and didn't really get what you wanted would go down like a f@rt in a spacesuit!

Ah hang on - Pina, Campag, Corima, near to the peak district, we're talking about the Bike Rooms on Deansgate aren't we?! As nice as some of that is, it does seem like they could stock a few more brands...

I'd like to see your clubmates faces when you turn up on that on a Sunday morning...  4 Enjoy it, sounds lovely!

Latest Comments