Any tips on finding cycling companions?

by LouiseCLaroche   August 26, 2014  

I'm tentatively planning a bike trip next year and am not thrilled about doing it on my own.

I know crazyguyonabike.com has a 'Companions' section, but is there anywhere else I should consider posting! Even /r/bicycletouring?

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I find saying out loud when out on a loner. "Please be my friend" Smile

It's quite difficult or easy depending on which groups you join, finding someone you get on with, have the same capabilities and wants to do the same event as yourself.

If all fails then redo paragraph one!

posted by CXR94Di2 [137 posts]
26th August 2014 - 7:56

2 Likes

Go onto british cycling... They have something called social cycling.

The idea is that anyone going for a ride and looking for company simply says what they are doing and when, and then people can come and find you.

The reason behind this is actually quite clever... not only does it help cyclists meet other cyclists, it helps BC provide documented evidence of cycling participation./

Cycling like many sports gets funding from Sport England depending on how many people is encourages to get on a bike and start cycling.

Now the challenge with this is monitoring people on bikes in an objective way. For instance, with swimming, every time you go to a Pool you have to pay a fee or register that you are swimming. Ultimately this will go back to Swimmings participation levels... cycling has nothing, and this is one way to start dicumenting what people are doing on bikes, when adn how many.

Support it for more social cycling and more cycling support!

posted by Jimmy Ray Will [279 posts]
26th August 2014 - 12:20

6 Likes

Sky ride to a "buddy" system
http://www.goskyride.com/

Wesselwookie's picture

posted by Wesselwookie [136 posts]
26th August 2014 - 12:28

2 Likes

Just set your wheel's quick release lever at a somewhat jaunty angle and you'll have numerous people from this site wishing to start a conversation with you....

posted by farrell [1448 posts]
26th August 2014 - 12:36

13 Likes

Are you a member of a cycling club? If not, I'd join one and look for likely recruits there, it would have the benefit of not having to do the trip with a complete stranger too.

(I'm sure you've probably been down this route, just checking)

Ride in Oxford? Come and join the
Cowley Road Condors cycling club, Oxford's friendliest cycling club!

tom_w's picture

posted by tom_w [98 posts]
26th August 2014 - 14:29

2 Likes

Offer a free carbon upgrade to any new friend

Leodis's picture

posted by Leodis [211 posts]
26th August 2014 - 15:29

3 Likes

Lots of good tips above - you could also try taking to Twitter. Follow cyclists, it'll take a while, but you'll get to know which other users are local to you.

What's the trip you've got planned?

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3188 posts]
26th August 2014 - 16:07

2 Likes