Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Single Speed Racing

I rode the SkyRide in Leicester today on my single-speed roadie (not fixed) today, and was very pleasantly surprised at how quickly I got round the circuit. It was mainly flat, not that long, and set up for all types of riders, but I had a blast, and kept up a really good speed throughout, even though it wasn't a race.

My question is, are there single speed road/city races in the UK? I've done a quick search, but figure folks on here would know better... After today's 'warm-up', I'd really like to have a go at some proper racing without gears, as I love the purity of single-speed. Any ideas?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

s_lim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I commute mainly on the flat and manage fine on 48:16 (singlespeed). There are a few lumps in there, but nothing too long/steep. I've also done a few club runs on it, and it was grand over rolly terrain.

I did our clubs' town-centre crit race on it; average speed was 24mph, which was grand, but I couldn't contest the sprint finish. If I was to do it again, I'd stick a 52 on the front.

Morgan700cc | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks folks. 44/16 it is then! (I have some big hills near me...)

mtbtomo: I'm riding a 1982 French made Peugeot frame and fork which were single speeded and kindly donated to me by my lovely bike buddies a few years back. I have nice Weinmann wheels and Sora brakes on now, which make a huge difference. I hope to get the cogs sorted in the next few weeks... Birthday coming up! (Money is an issue, so upgrades take ages.)

mzungu | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a pompino which I had at 48:16 for ages . The hills hurt so I've changed to 44:16. Massively better on hills but spinny on the flats. That's SS. I have a fixed 18 cog which I am going to have to try. 44:18 will be good on the hills I face. I'll keep the back break on for the moment to save my knees.

Binky | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride a 46:16 upgraded the front from 42 as i was tired of spinning out. It took a while to get used to the change (i thought my brakes were locked on) but now i am back to whipping along the road.

If you look at the 'goskyride.com' website, you may be able to find some rides to suit you.

What bike do you ride? I currently have the Genesis Day One SS.

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

On a crit or a time trial you'll need something much bigger than 39/18. I run 44/17 over a 12 mile commute even that's a bit "spinny" on the flat.

You can obviously work out the speed you will generate at a particular rpm.

I think Sheldon Brown's website may even have a calculator.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

Some clubs run medium gear time trials - you can used gears up to 72" but many like to run SS or fixed:
http://www.fixedwheel.co.uk/tech.htm
http://www.nottinghamclarion.co.uk/pages/mediumgearttseries.aspx

Some hill climb courses are well suited to fixed/SS (though probably somewhat lower than 72"!).

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

A lot of alleycats will allow SS these days, some even gears, but most are still won by guys riding fixed.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You can do cycle speedway on a single speed, but I can't think of any road races for SS only

mzungu | 9 years ago
0 likes

what gearing were you using?

Morgan700cc replied to mzungu | 9 years ago
0 likes

39/18 at the mo, but I need a new front ring and am planning on going a bit bigger. Good idea? Or stay on the same ratio?

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've read that some people just race crits on singlespeed. Nothing to say you have to have gears

Latest Comments