Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The British Justice System

The next time you read on these pages or elsewhere of a someone killing a cyclist with their vehicle and getting a derisory punishment you can console yourself knowing that this dangerous and evil criminal has been locked up for 2 and half years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28896675

We can sleep soundly in our beds and ride our bicycles safe in the knowledge the British justice system is handing out fair and just punishments.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

WHAAAT?! It's not like me to say this, but I'd take the driver to the sodding cleaners. Has he admitted liability?

OldnSlo replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

No liability admission as yet but in the letter there was one good piece of advice 'pass this letter onto your insurers'. So my solicitor will get a copy as well as the thistle cycling insurance. But a private prosecution is still a possibility.

OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jeez old, that is terrible. Justice has not been done. Try contacting the Cycling Silk as perhaps he can advise you on taking a civil case.

OldnSlo replied to OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

My case is currently with a solictor who has wisely told me that due to the extent of the injuries it may take upto two years to determine what level of compensation is 'correct'. But basically if the chelsea tractor driving lady had a years ban plus a large fine I may feel less p***ed off.

OldnSlo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yerrs,

In March of this year I was hit from behind by Land rover discovery, just outside of Reading - I was commuting to home at the time. My saddle got ripped off, my rear wheel got bent in half. Now for the real bad news - the seat got deposited in my arse and tore my sphincter to shreds, my testicles got badly bruised and my urethra got torn. The last and only thing I can remember is landing on my shoulder and then head hitting the deck...

So two and half weeks in hospital, the first week of which I had a pipe in my arse to drain away faecal matter as I hadn't had a crap before the ride. So couldn't sit down for long time. The injury list is as follows:-
- torn urethra - now urologically incontinent and impotent.
- Damaged volunatary sphincter muscle (you have two involuntary & voluntary)
- Now faecally incontinent; I had general surgery after the accident where they
performed an ileostomy - so a bit of my colon sticks out of my stomach!.
- so I now have a stomach bag which is due to be removed in October,2014.
- However I may problems with urgency control so my need 'other' procedures
ranging from the 'madonna - collagen/other implants in my sphincter' to a
bionic anus (electrodes in the spine, battery pack in my butt cheeks).
- dislocated collarbone

Side affect are, get dehydrated quickly - so can't ride long distance, bladder spasms as I have permanent supra-public catheter fitted (thru my stomach) which attaches to a fashionable leg bag. Looks great in the gym!, kept in place with a pair of karimoor compression socks. No more morning glory etc,etc. Plus the continuing probing to determine how my aris is healing!.

Why do I mention this - I got the letter from the Thames Valley Police today stating that the driver underwent a one day alertness course rather than face prosecution!. Case is now closed.

A solictor is pursuing the driver but case closed after a one day course WTF!

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

You are Richard Littlejohn, and I claim my five pounds.

enrique replied to truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes
truffy wrote:

You are Richard Littlejohn, and I claim my five pounds.

What does this mean?...

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Funny enough, I was just reading that and thought exactly the same.

Then I went onto the story of Mark Chapman, killed John Lennon in 1980, got 20 to life and has failed 8 times since 2001 to get parole. That should be the type of sentence drivers should get.

Latest Comments