Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Fat Lad At The Back gear

Anyone got any experience with Fat Lad At The Back gear, good or bad?

I'm particularly keen to establish how true the sizing is to their guide. I'm 6' with a 44" chest, and I've found that size guides for other brands are always a bit hit and miss, so the size that is suggested to fit me (usually the largest XXL one) still ends up looking like it should have arrived in a spray can.

I'm getting bored of constantly returning stuff, so am hoping the FLAB gear might offer a change from that? Also handy that they now sell through Evans, as I get a decent discount on stuff there through work.

Any suggestions on other brands that cater for the more "generously-proportioned" cyclist would be good too.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Stanley | 9 years ago
0 likes

i daren't say owt

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ok, so that perhaps confirms my understanding that the sizing is "flattering" then.

I think I'll order the one I want in a 44" then and go from there. At least as it'll be through Evans then their returns process is relatively quick and painless.

Bob's Bikes | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got their yeller jersey. now I'm a 44" chest but the 44" jersey they supplied was to big for me, but their 40" fits me OK.

To give them there due they did change it with only one slightly snarky comment about their sizes and inferring that I am not capable of measuring myself (I'm a quality engineer I know how to measure things) so I probably won't use them again but......

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I only consider ordering if it has 3 'X' . It always seems to be the more expensive kit Nike, Castelli etc has the larger kit available:)

Costs a fortune

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

44" hahaha that's not big chested  1

I am 6ft with 48" chest, used to be 50"

Clothing can be awkward I usually order all the biggest sizes from wiggle, try them and return what doesnt fit.

parksey replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

44" hahaha that's not big chested  1

I am 6ft with 48" chest, used to be 50"

Clothing can be awkward I usually order all the biggest sizes from wiggle, try them and return what doesnt fit.

I was that size, but a year's worth of cycling has shifted a good 4 or 5 inches off both the chest and waist.  1

Even so, with my measurements now I do find I'm still at the upper end of most brands' sizing range. Even Wiggle, I ordered a dhb Section jersey about 6 months ago, low-end, supposedly relaxed-fit top in their XXL size, and could barely get the thing on. Tried it back on the other day (having given it to my old man) and it was still more snug than I'd comfortably wear now!

Decathlon/B'Twin stuff is alright, they do proper sizes in the lower-level ranges, and I can even get in their higher-end stuff now without looking completely ridiculous!

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

got myself a 38" chest Lantern Rouge SS jersey.
A little short in the body and a little short in the sleeve, but accurate around
the chest .... I am 38" !!

parksey replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes
therevokid wrote:

got myself a 38" chest Lantern Rouge SS jersey.
A little short in the body and a little short in the sleeve, but accurate around
the chest .... I am 38" !!

It's the Lantern Rouge one I fancy, but would happily wear any of them. When you say it was accurate around the chest, was that still fairly tight-fitting, or more relaxed?

They're supposedly cut for a "comfortable" fit which, to me at least, should mean a slightly looser fitting without having to go a size up.

Latest Comments