Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Jersey & Bib Shorts - Matching or not?!?

Simple question - When heading out on a training ride, should my jersey and shorts match, same brand, colour etc?!? The only reason I ask is because a read a thread yesterday and came across the the term FKW (full kit w****r). Having not heard this before has prompted my inquiry. I by no means head out in matching socks, shorts, jersey, gloves and cap etc, but am now interested in other cyclists thoughts...

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

79 comments

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

There's a guy that's been turning up on club runs recently that could test the sartorial tolerance of the best of you. Old baggy sleeveless top worn under a slightly ropy set of bib shorts. As he has no pockets, he keeps a banana and other food inside his shorts.

And, though it's not that demanding a ride really (as in, I'm not the fittest person in the world and don't struggle) he drops out the back any time the road goes a bit up. On a "no drop" ride that's a lot of waiting for him to catch back up.

gazza_d | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yawn.

The whole lot is bull. Wear what feels comfortable and what works for you on the bike. It's all about personal taste. If you're happy wearing it then stuff everyone else.

For me that normally means Aldi shorts & single colour Sports Direct top or the odd patterned jersey. I have a nice Castelli "urban camo" top which always feels a bit rebellious against the hivis nazis on the commute. Most of my gear is bright but plain.

I wouldn't go and wear pro team kit (unless it was cheap) as frankly most looks awful, although the Team Sky and Movistar kits are about the best looking. I do have a Euskatel cap, but that's cos the bike and waterproof are orange as well.

Beatnik69 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sometimes I wear Tesco with my Halfords or Sports Direct.  4

Binky | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wear whatever you want to wear, just as long as your wearing somethng (think of the children)

As long as your happy and comfy, stuff what ever anyone else says or thinks.

Would you dye your hair or get a liposuction/boob/ butt job because of what other people think? Live your own life  16

cbrookes75 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am very pleased with my black shorts that have a saddle shaped cushiony bit! and my full length zip Roubaix top matches my bike perfectly. I buy what is comfortable and suits me, that said, the Specialized top and shorts with a black and orange tie string knock spots off the utter garbage I bought from Sports Direct! The "padding" in their (sports direct's) shorts is as flat as a pancake now! I do think that some cycling items are ridiculously overpriced! I bought my Specialized top for 45 quid, I picked up a similar top and it was 75 quid( I do see they sell tops for like 150 quid) ! I couldn't see the difference, but that doesn't mean to say there isn't one!!

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

I AM RAPHARTACUS!

Leviathan replied to The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

The utter hypocrisy of some people here is ridiculous.
So you can wear an old team kit as long as it has disbanded but can't wear it went the team is riding, so when the kit is actually in shops and available you can't support the team. So you decide you support a team and buy the kit to keep in the wardrobe for X number of years hoping that your favourite team disbands or changes their name completely.
So you can pay to be in a club and pay the club for kit, but someone not in a club can't pay to show support for a team they follow. And yes feel like a little bit of kudos rubs off on them that makes them go 2% faster.

Funnily enough all my team kits are now retro but that wouldn't stop me buying new ones (the more the merrier/always have clean kit.) Why would you go out of you way to buy or wear something that isn't matching or at least coordinating? When I see someone out in the country wearing a pro kit or club kit that isn't flapping around, on a road bike not a MTB, I NEVER think that this is some noddy wannabee*; it actually takes a bit of bravery and intent to kit yourself out in all lycra with cleats and mitts and everything else. It isn't step one of cycling. A few years ago I passed a young guy on a sportive wearing converse basketball boots on some flat handlebar city bike; needless to say I hope he grew up to be a FKW and is now going twice as fast and faster than me.

When I am out wearing my team kits there is no-one else around wearing what I am wearing. I stand out if only because I am not wearing a yellow jacket and black tights or some other generic kit. I definitely feel crispy wearing matching kit. 99.9% of people I pass haven't got a clue what I am wearing or could tell the difference between pro or club kit. I am wearing for me not you. And if you happen to give a fig about it sneer all you want, I am probably pitying you for the pathetic mishmash of clothing you are wearing. Bibs are faster than jeans for a start.

FYI some of the Skyboys around my way are actually from Team Sky so good luck pegging them back.

*Beardy fixies are the ones you want to be careful of.

The _Kaner wrote:

I AM RAPHARTACUS!

PHART  21

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Why does everyone hate Rapha so much? I bought a bunch of Rapha gear a while back because I liked it and worked for a "retail partner" so got a discount. Now I think twice about wearing it because everyone thinks I'm a douche. In all fairness they're probably right but it would be nice if they didn't make the judgement purely on my gear.

trevisotart replied to drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

That's exactly what I mean - you have chosen to buy rapha gear - nice clothing , yet you worry about other people think - jesus man - f*** em !

Chuck replied to drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drfabulous0 wrote:

I bought a bunch of Rapha gear a while back because I liked it and worked for a "retail partner" so got a discount. Now I think twice about wearing it because everyone thinks I'm a douche.

People who genuinely think you're a douche for wearing a particular brand must be, well, massive douches. And who cares what they think?

Anyhoo, like someone else above I usually go for mainly black bibs and then whatever takes my fancy when I'm in the market for a new jersey. I don't have any team kit myself, but it's not that I wouldn't wear it on principle or anything, I just generally don't like it as much as other stuff.
That said, I wouldn't wear a WC or leaders jersey!

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Only team kit I have is really obscure, or retro, or my club.

I am an advocate of wear what you want, on the basis we all look daft.

....until yesterday when I seen a guy in full sky kit, including the helmet, he looked like a tit....as he was riding a Trek!

trevisotart | 9 years ago
0 likes

As ever amazed that some people can be so overbearing about what people wear when out riding . The clothing police who seem to inhabit forums and clubs should really get a grip . If a cyclist wants to go out wearing team kit then fair enough - its his or her money to spend as they like , you do so wonder if there is a certain section of the cycling world that are not happy with the sudden rise of popularity in cycling . Having spent three weeks on hols in Italy this july I got out most days and huge numbers of Italian cyclists were wearing all sorts of team kit - I wonder if Italian forums suffer from the same pain in the arses .

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm a MKW (a mixed kit wanker).
Full Santini Haru Aquazero - no club affiliation (shorts/jersey), sometimes a Santini Primo, sometimes De Marchi, sometimes PBK (inluding socks)...but always colour co-ordinated. Heaven forbid my colours don't match.
I have full Cervo Rosso regalia, that's my sportive gear...but don't race (even though I was a test team member)...
Jesus - I even have full Sky kit - pro team bibs and a SUPPORTERS jersey...from a distance who can tell it's the cheaper jersey!!??
I've a Chinese Ebay jersey (So Bike) that I've still to wear, it's the same Red/White/Black as my Ribble - think that'll go nicely with the Assos bibs...
I'm going to get full Road.CC gear next!
I have even been known to wear Rapha sportwool jerseys (Kelly/Van Looy/Belgian champ) with ASSOS shorts...f@ck me, I don't know how to control myself....how can I be so awesomely co-ordinated, yet so MEDIOCRE on a bike???

BECAUSE I CAN!

dannycarr2k | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm ready for the flak I'll no doubt receive... But. ..

You wash your kit after each ride, so why not get a pair of bibs and jersey that go together? I've got four pairs of bibs, and two have corresponding jerseys. The other two are plain black. I like Sportful as it's a similar cut to Castelli but the brand logos are smaller.

I'm fairly ambivalent about Rapha. I've avoided it deliberately but know a few decent riders in the groups I ride with who find it really good. I'm tempted to try it. The high end Castelli or Asos or even Sportful kit isn't too far off the price of it.

Life's short. If it makes you happy wear it and ride your bike.

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not only acting as a mobile billboard, but paying (heavily) for the privilege.

HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not my cup of tea but each to their own.

Personally speaking I think wearing what is essentially a mobile advertising billboard for either a Belgian lottery company, French supermarket, German phone company, etc etc is a bit odd.

fukawitribe replied to HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes
HalfWheeler wrote:

Not my cup of tea but each to their own.

Personally speaking I think wearing what is essentially a mobile advertising billboard for either a Belgian lottery company, French supermarket, German phone company, etc etc is a bit odd.

Yeah it is decidedly odd and as truffy said, you often pay quite a chunk for the privilege.

However.... this summer I was after a decent pair of bib shorts for hotter weather (oh the irony now...) and the Endura Movistar team kit kept hitting all the right buttons. Given it is supposedly exactly the same as the kit that Movistar use (good pads, ColdBlack etc) and not some over-priced pastiche, it seems to be extremely reasonably priced, especially as it always seems to be on offer (70 odd quid for the bibs and 50/55 quid for a top). I generally dis-like logos on clothing on general but... I was getting tempted.

Alas thus far i've bottled getting the bibs, or jersey, primarily because I think i'd feel like a plonker. I don't normally give a damn what people think about the clothes I wear, and never have done, so this is somewhat odd - there is some technically excellent kit at a decent price that i'm looking for and would actually be of use to me, but i'm not getting it. Feels pretty stupid state of affairs to me.. any thoughts yes or no ?

Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes

The usual criticism of Sky kit wearers appears on this thread as it does on all threads about kit.

Over the last few months I've been mentally noting what team kits I see and Sky features very rarely. The most popular are Garmin and OPQS. I've seen as many Tinkoff and Lotto as Sky. Why the scorn for Sky?

For the record I wear retro, mainly Flandria. I pretend I'm Roger De Vlaeminck as we're the same age.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just like to see a bit of colour co-ordination between bike and rider...

My bikes black/white/blue so my gear is too for the most part (my union jack jersey is close enough for me  1 )

MarcMyWords | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would always start with black bibs and go from there. I'm a fan of Foska jerseys more than anything but would happily don a team jersey, just with black bibs and black socks. Me and my buddies have a thing (I don't know if this is common or not) where we match out kit to our bike. Mine was, at the time a Trek, so everything I had was Bontrager. Specialized, spcialized. Cervelo, Garmin. etc. Any brand that didn't also make bikes, Shimano, Oakley, Endura... was fair game also. Sounds dorky now I've written it out but worked for us and we always looked good.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

P.S....if you like the Belkin kit, which I do, head over to Belkin's own site where they are doing some great deals  3

PJ McNally replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gkam, great spot there - I'll soon be a Belkin FKW, puffing up my local hills  1

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Does this extend from team kit to manufacturer's kit too?

(No, I don't really care either)

Gkam84 replied to truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes
truffy wrote:

Does this extend from team kit to manufacturer's kit too?

(No, I don't really care either)

Do you mean cycling around in a kit that is made entirely by Endura or similar?...I won't give my thoughts on those in full Rapha  3

That is fine, hell, get fully kitted up by one brand and chuck a pro team jersey on. Sorted.

It is the people that go around on an everyday cycling or sportive clad in NOTHING but pro team gear, matching socks, gloves, cap, jersey, bibs, glasses, helmet, shoes and bike.....THAT is a proper full kit WANKER.....

But each to their own, just know that if you were the full kit, you will be known at the FKW on that ride....  19

glynr36 replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Do you mean cycling around in a kit that is made entirely by Endura or similar?...I won't give my thoughts on those in full Rapha  3

That's a first...

FWIW, I buy all my kit as a 'set' to match, or plan it to match others I already own.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Some of that retro stuff on alwaysriding is lush.

edster99 replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Some of that retro stuff on alwaysriding is lush.

It is... I've never seen that site before. And reassuringly expensive  1

KirinChris | 9 years ago
0 likes

Of course you CAN wear what you want on a bike, just like you can walk down the high street in anything you like.

But most of us don't because in fact we do care what impression we make on other people. It's deeply ingrained behaviour.

So as a fairly normal/typical (I think) club and racing cyclist my view is:

1. Full current/recent pro team kit is for try-hard wannabes. It's ironic that this is defended by people who say you can wear what you like, when clearly the people wearing it are doing so in a desperate attempt to be accepted and recognised by others.

2. Kit doesn't have to match but should at least go together. You match the clothes you wear to Sainsbury's (I hope) so why not on the bike? No obvious colour clashes and be careful with logos - don't be a harlequin or a moving billboard.

3. Rapha - be prepared for sceptical looks, especially if you are totally tricked out in Rapha's finest. But plenty of serious riders wear it and if you have the legs and the money, go for it.

These fashion questions are just about first impressions but these matter in cycling because they relate to my own safety.

If you turn up in full Sky rig with hairy legs at my club ride my initial impression is that you might not know what you're doing and I'm not going to ride too near you until I work out whether you're a liability or not.

On the other hand, turn up in some well chosen but not OTT stuff (or your local club kit) on a decent bike and with shave legs and I will be inclined to think you are not about to take me out.

Your choice.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Re: retro kit - my opinion is that as soon as a team falls out of existence (or at least changes main sponsor) then you can wear it. I've been very disappointed that genuine Euskaltel Euskadi kits are impossible to find, I wanted one.

Him Up North replied to jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gizmo_ wrote:

Euskaltel Euskadi kits are impossible to find, I wanted one.

alwaysriding.co.uk sell 2013 Euskaltel s/s jerseys and bib shorts. The shorts even have the Basque flag on the arse. Schmoove.

Pages

Latest Comments