Best iphone 5S case (waterproof)

by Fastfrankie108   August 16, 2014  

Hi guys

I am new to road riding, I have an iPhone 5S and wondered about using it on a permanent basis. I am worried about water ingress etc so I would need a case that can protect fro shock (dropping etc) as well as waterproofing.

Can anyone recommend a decent shock proof as well as waterproof case, preferably centre post mounting.

Thanks in advance
glen

8 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I bought the Quad Lock case and mount from amazon, it wasn't cheap at about 40 quid but it does allow me to use the touch screen properly and has a separate plastic cover if it rains hard, very pleased with it!

posted by cbrookes75 [32 posts]
23rd August 2014 - 10:06

0 Likes

Here is a picture of the case:

Quadlock case.jpg

23rd August 2014 - 10:15

0 Likes

I use a case from Lifeproof. I tested it submersed in a bath for an hour and had no ingress at all. To use on a bike, there's a corresponding bar mount, available seperately. It has a solid spring loaded latch, so you can pop the cased phone straight out when you're leaving the bike unattended.

Although fingerprint ID doesn't work through a case like this, touch screen and everything else does. Controls like volume are exposed via waterproof buttons. There's a small door that can be opened to expose the lightning port, and a small cable that you can optionally use to expose the headphone jack whilst still being waterproof.

The door for the power port also means you can charge from a external battery pack whilst on the move - with a long enough cable, you can have the battery in a backpack.

It's not the cheapest option, but the case is the least clumsy out of all the waterproof options I looked at... and it is rugged enough to protect from drops, and the snap-shut design means it cannot 'pop open' on impact.

Full list for the case is something crazy like £70, but I googled the hell out of it and found new ones for £30ish.

posted by otto [2 posts]
23rd August 2014 - 10:24

2 Likes

posted by otto [2 posts]
23rd August 2014 - 10:30

1 Like

I just noticed you said "Waterproof" I would say the Quadlock is largely waterproof but certainly not submersible. I am unsure of the exact definition of Waterproof!

23rd August 2014 - 10:30

1 Like

I've not bought them yet, but I'm planning on getting a couple of these:

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/pocpac-off-road-pac-cycling-pouch-1255.html

One to replace my saddle bag (tube, levers + multitool) and one for phone/card/cash/keys.

Should leave me a pocket for food which is generally enough.

posted by sergius [83 posts]
23rd August 2014 - 15:58

2 Likes

Lifeproof is the only way to go. Been using them for a few years and they are absolutely great. Just another thought, if you are using your iPhone as a cycle computer or for Strava logging etc. have a look at a Wahoo RFLKT to mount on your bars and then keep the iPhone in your jersey pocket, still in the LifeProof case of course Wink

posted by paulrbarnard [147 posts]
24th August 2014 - 15:15

1 Like

Thank guys for all,of the replies, this gives me some options. Much appreciated!
Applause

FF

posted by Fastfrankie108 [2 posts]
25th August 2014 - 12:15

1 Like