cycling incentives

by OldRidgeback   August 12, 2014  

So it should come as no surprise in the home of the TDF that the French are setting out an incentive package to encourage people to switch from car use to bicycles. The French Ministry of Transport is trialling the scheme with 19 companies, which sees each person receiving a 0.25 Euro allowance/km travelled by bicycle. It is a six month trial and is limited to just 100 people or so, with the French Ministry of Transport then publishing a report and being able to tweak the scheme as necessary, before rolling it out later on a wider basis. There's an article in Le Figaro about it.

This is a carrot rather than a stick approach and surely a lot more sensible than some of the crackpot suggestions I've seen posted on this site to restrict car use.

8 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

it would be nice to 'earn' an extra 2k a year just for commuting! Laughing
think i'd be taking the long route home a lot more!

bigshape's picture

posted by bigshape [69 posts]
12th August 2014 - 10:49

3 Likes

That's what I thought bigshape - let's see if the French can make it work. If it does then the DfT could do well to take note. It'd help cut urban congestion and pollution, not to mention help the NHS trim its budget to boot.

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2308 posts]
12th August 2014 - 11:20

3 Likes

So as well as paying no Road Tax, I can cycle away my Income tax? That will really please Mr Mondeo and Ms #Bloodycyclists.

I am stronger than Mensa, Miller and Mailer, I spat out Plath and Pinter.

bikeboy76's picture

posted by bikeboy76 [1434 posts]
12th August 2014 - 12:26

4 Likes

hmm. Train fare £900 per year. Commuting 'pay' nearly 4,000E per year. decisions, decisions Wink

...and then I woke up.

posted by andyp [1073 posts]
12th August 2014 - 12:30

2 Likes

Sad Who are you calling a crackpot? Laughing

That's brilliant, though - would be a £400/month carrot for me. Yes please!

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [325 posts]
12th August 2014 - 12:38

0 Likes

How are they proving how many times you've commuted? Asking everyone to submit GPS traces sounds like a bit too much admin even for the French (note: I used to work in France and love their hilarious bureaucracy).

Boardman CX Team '14 | Cannondale CAAD8 '12 (written off, SMIDSY) | Scott Sportster '08

Gizmo_'s picture

posted by Gizmo_ [958 posts]
12th August 2014 - 13:54

2 Likes

Gizmo_ wrote:
How are they proving how many times you've commuted? Asking everyone to submit GPS traces sounds like a bit too much admin even for the French (note: I used to work in France and love their hilarious bureaucracy).

maybe they provide everyone with a free garmin as well?

bigshape's picture

posted by bigshape [69 posts]
12th August 2014 - 13:57

1 Like

bigshape wrote:
Gizmo_ wrote:

maybe they provide everyone with a free garmin as well?

Yep, I wondered about that. It's possible there's an app you can stick on your smartphone for it.

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2308 posts]
12th August 2014 - 14:11

1 Like