Home

I wonder, how can anyone ignore the biggest Spanish stage race right before the biggest (!) Spanish stage race? For those who can't live with drowning or thriving in just one race at a time, I bring you the Vuelta a Burgos Competition! I can't help myself! I love this sh$#@t!  1 You don't have to, of course!  1

The Vuelta runs for 5 days. Just like the TOU, only part of the race will be scored. For the Vuelta those stages will be Stages 3 and 5. Stage 3 is the Queen stage. Stage 5 is an ITT. Or is it a TTT?  39 Regardless, only (!) Stages 3 and 5 will will be scored in this competition.

The Vuelta starts Wednesday Aug 13 and runs through Sunday Aug 17, 2014.

Here's the official Vuelta a Burgos Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/thetourofutah

Here's the race website:
http://www.vueltaburgos.com/

Here's the (very bare!) start list on PCS:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Vuelta_a_Burgos_2014-Startlist

The rules:

1. Pick 9 riders from the list below. That (!) is the Special Rule. You can only choose riders from the list below. If you do not see a rider in the list below, he is off-limits for this competition.

This is no easy task and is not for the faint of heart. If you study the list below and compare it to the full start list, you'll see it is essentially a 'No Team Captain', 'No Fan Favorite' or 'No Recognizable Name' rule. There's no Movistar rider on the list, either. And no rider on this list is worth over 15.4 credits. There's no Quintana, no Landa, no Pardilla, no Txurruka, no Lagutin. No. No Rabottini either. No one. You could call it the 'No Easy Choice' rule, I guess. Or the 'Enrique Is Mad' Rule. The 'What' you say? You don't want to play now?...  2 You've got time to do research!  4 Man up! This is just for fun!  1 Although, if no one signs up I won't be offended!  1

The Finish Line and Classification scoring will be adjusted accordingly by removing any score obtained from riders not on the list below and awarding those points to the next qualified rider that does appear on the list below. That's not that bad, is it?...

The official start list has been announced and I will monitor the roster and make changes to the start list as necessary until the start of the competition on Friday. If any roster changes occur that warrant any other inclusion, I will announce it below.

2. You will have a budget of 100 credits. Requests for an extension of the budget will be considered if they are accompanied by a certificate of mental competency from a licensed health practitioner and a handwritten note from your mother.  4

3. Enter your team before the start of Stage 3. Stage 3 starts at 12:52am local time Friday August 15 (11:52 AM - 11:52 CET). That's enough time to research all those 3.0 riders, right?  1

4. Given the restrictive nature of these rules and the difficulty of selecting a good team under these circumstances, you will be allowed 9 transfers for Stage 5. That means you can completely overahual your team for Stage 5. The special rule, however, will still apply to your team for Stage 5.

Notes:
1. Any team that does not seem suited for the stage for which it is submitted will, of course, be given the opportunity to be changed before the start of the competition or the start of the next stage scored in the competition.

2. The GC, PC, KOM and YR jerseys will be honored and so will the Lanterne Rouge. The Sprint and KOM points along the way will be awarded to each rider exactly the way they are awarded in the race itself.

The riders
START LIST SORTED BY RIDER VALUE

Cheng Ji Giant 15.4
Blel Kadri AG2R 13.4
Thomas Damuseau Giant 11.9
Daan Olivier Giant 9.3
Vladimir Gusev Katusha 9.3
Chad Haga Giant 8.7
Alexandr Kolobnev Katusha 8.1
Lloyd Mondory AG2R 7.5
Aliaksandr Kuchynski Katusha 7.5
Patrick Gretsch AG2R 6.5
Alberto Losada Katusha 6.3
Dmitriy Kozontchuk Katusha 6.0
Andrey Zeits Astana 5.4
Sebastien Turgot AG2R 5.3
Damien Gaudin AG2R La Mondiale 4.2
Alexsandr Dyachenko Astana 3.0
Bakhtiyar Kozhatayev Astana 3.0
Ilya Davidenok Astana 3.0
Dario Hernandez Burgos 3.0
David Belda Burgos 3.0
Ibai Salas Burgos 3.0
Igor Merino Burgos 3.0
Jesus Del Pino Burgos 3.0
Juan José Oroz Burgos 3.0
Moises Duenas Burgos 3.0
Victor Martín Burgos 3.0
Antonio Piedra Caja Rural 3.0
Fernando Grijalba Caja Rural 3.0
Javier Aramendia Caja Rural 3.0
Karol Domagalski Caja Rural 3.0
Lluís Guillermo Mas Caja Rural 3.0
Pello Bilbao Caja Rural 3.0
Beñat Txoperena Euskadi 3.0
Carlos Barbero Euskadi 3.0
Haritz Orbe Euskadi 3.0
Jon Larrinaga Euskadi 3.0
Miguel Minguez Euskadi 3.0
Mikel Aristi Euskadi 3.0
Mikel Iturria Euskadi 3.0
Pablo Lechuga Euskadi 3.0
Steven Lammertink Giant 3.0
Tom Peterson Giant 3.0
Johann Tschopp IAM 3.0
Jonathan Fumeaux IAM 3.0
Kevyn Ista IAM 3.0
Marcel Aregger IAM 3.0
Matteo Pelucchi IAM 3.0
Patrick Schelling IAM 3.0
Pirmin Lang IAM 3.0
Vicente Reynes IAM 3.0
Petr Ignatenko Katusha 3.0
Adrien Niyonshuti MTN-Qhubeka 3.0
Daniel Teklehaimanot MTN-Qhubeka 3.0
Dennis Van Niekerk MTN-Qhubeka 3.0
Jacques Janse Van Rensburg MTN-Qhubeka 3.0
Linus Gerdemann MTN-Qhubeka 3.0
Tsgabu Grmay MTN-Qhubeka 3.0
Youcef Reguigui MTN-Qhubeka 3.0
Fabio Taborre Neri Sottoli 3.0
Francesco Failli Neri Sottoli 3.0
Giorgio Cecchinel Neri Sottoli 3.0
Giuseppe Fonzi Neri Sottoli 3.0
Mattia Pozzo Neri Sottoli 3.0
Mirko Tedeschi Neri Sottoli 3.0
Rafael Andriato Neri Sottoli 3.0
Simone Ponzi Neri Sottoli 3.0
Andrei Solomennikov Rusvelo 3.0
Artem Ovechkin Rusvelo 3.0
Ilnur Zakarin Rusvelo 3.0
Ivan Balykin Rusvelo 3.0
Kirill Pozdnyakov Rusvelo 3.0
Sergey Klimov Rusvelo 3.0
Sergey Pomoshnikov Rusvelo 3.0

50 comments

ray silvester [1836 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Here goes nothing

Ponzi
Teklehaymanot
Tschopp
Domalgowski
Kadri
Haga
Gretsch
Losada
Kolobnev

livestrongnick [2118 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Tschopp
Gretsch
Zeits
Failli
Maikin
Ponzi
Teklehaymanot
Del pino
Javier Aramendia

ingemar [1 post] 1 year ago
0 likes

Daan Olivier Giant 9.3
Mikael Cherel AG2R 8.3
Alexandr Kolobnev Katusha 8.1
Alexsandr Dyachenko Astana 3.0
Pello Bilbao Caja Rural 3.0
Johann Tschopp IAM 3.0
Vicente Reynes IAM 3.0
Linus Gerdemann MTN-Qhubeka 3.0
Ilnur Zakarin Rusvelo 3.0

0 likes

Jeez.....even in a weird little forum game like this nobody misses a jewel like Tschopp!!

TERatcliffe26 [4621 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Im in as I need to defend my coppa orli position.

Can I just clarify one thing to do with scoring, I don't quite understand how you are doing it.
It reads that if say the top qualifying rider say comes 7th on the stage, all others above are removed and so he scores 35 points as 1st would? and so 40th place could score 5 points if he is the 16th qualifying rider?
Or do you just mean 7th will get 16 points as normal and 16th 5 points, and they could be the only 2 scorers?

enrique [2341 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Im in as I need to defend my coppa orli position...

Don't make me laugh...  4 It is (!) a prestigious race series, though...  39

TERatcliffe26 wrote:

... say the top qualifying rider say comes 7th on the stage, all others above are removed and so he scores 35 points as 1st would? and so 40th place could score 5 points if he is the 16th qualifying rider?...

Absolutely correct... I'll say it another way, all the Points at the Finish Line, all the Sprint and KOM points, all the Classification Points will be awarded only to riders on the list, as far as I can decipher, for example with the Sprint Points which rider crossed the line in an order that would allow me to grant them points, so there will be, for example, 20 riders on the list above, who will get Finish Line Points, 35, 30, 25, 22, etc... I hope you get it... I will just ignore riders that are not on this list and act as if they haven't even ridden and give the points to the next rider as long as he is on the list above... I'll make any changes to the OP list a little later today since I'm still at work right now... I think the race organizers must have already announced the actual bib numbers since they had announced they would do it today after 1730, so they should be up already on PCS or the Vuelta site  39 I just haven't checked yet...

Twybaydos [448 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Daan Olivier
Tshchopp
Bilbao
Haga
Ponzi
Barbero
Gerdemann
Belda
Rabbotini (because Carratero isn't there for Neri Sottoli)

I appreciate the no Movistar rule, but no Pardilla or Landa may be overkill.

TER - No Firsanov for Rusvelo

0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

... I can change my team up until the day of the stage?...

Yes!  1

TERatcliffe26 wrote:

...I can name a complete new team for Stage 5?...

Absolutely!  1

TERatcliffe26 wrote:

... its a prestigious comp...

You're damn right!  1 It got a 5 star rating and was voted best Best New Forum Competition at some site called ' enriqueworld.com'  4

0 likes

Ok, here we go, my team (so far!):

Daan Olivier
Thomas Damuseau
Alexandr Kolobnev
David Belda
Ilya Davidenok
Blel Kadri
Ilnur Zakarin
Johann Tschopp
Alberto Losada

0 likes
Twybaydos wrote:

...No Firsanov for Rusvelo

That is correct. I have corrected Rusvelo's roster above...

0 likes
ingemar wrote:

Mikael Cherel AG2R 8.3...

TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Cherel...

inge, TER, I think Cherel is not on the start list anymore for AG2R... I have added Damien Gaudin above...

0 likes
Twybaydos wrote:

... no Pardilla or Landa...

I know... I may be wrong, but I couldn't help thinking that if they were available they would be easy choices for any one of us mildly knowledgeable cycling enthusiasts to make... Landa seems to be especially motivated to win it... See the tweet below... And Pardilla is in my mind MTN - Qhubeka's best choice for GC...

Twybaydos wrote:

Rabbotini...

And Rabottini? Well, I left him out of the list above, too, for the same reason, I think he would make an easy choice because of his recognizable attacking style in the mountains... I meant to make it so there would hardly be any recognizable favorites... I maybe should have removed Tschop, too...  39 So, I hate to ask, but would you choose another rider to replace Rabottini?... I edited the list above and added 2 riders for Neri Sottoli...

0 likes

Cheers guys, will change it later

0 likes

And we're off (!), for Stage 1, that is, not in the competition, of course, and we have a break of 4... These guys' Twitter feed is pretty cool... They put up a photo of every team at sign in, looking splendid in their respective kits. If you want to see your favorte team head to https://twitter.com/VueltaABurgos

0 likes

My Tean Name

The Tschopping Channel

0 likes

I am right in saying I can change my team up until the day of the stage?
Also I can name a complete new team for Stage 5?
Just clarifying, as you say its a prestigious comp  3

Team now amended

Stage 3

Tchsopp
Gusev
Damuseau
Zakarin
Kadri
Belda
Oliver
Andriato
Teklehaimanot

0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Team now amended...

Got it... Inge, Twy, you still have until Friday to make changes...  1

0 likes

Can I put Tedeschi in for Kadri please

0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

...Tedeschi in for Kadri...

Got it!... 13 hours to go before the deadline... All changes posted before 11:52 CET will be honored... Inge, Twy, you still have until the deadline to make changes and substitute the riders not on the list in the OP with someone that is...

0 likes

I shall also have Tedeschi please

0 likes

#VueltaBurgos The 6 leaders (Klimov, Mas, Tedeschi, Torres, Txoperena and Zeits have a 2.30 gap after 80 km of racing.

Joelsim [1975 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Sorry fella, forgot about this.

My team.

Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana

0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

6 leaders (Klimov, Mas, Tedeschi, Torres, Txoperena and Zeits have a 2.30 gap after 80 km of racing.

Thanks, nick!  1 Now why can't I follow the lead and do what other people do and put Tedeschi in?...  45 WTF?... I hate people that are smarter than me...  39 I hate the world...  45 I'm not in a good mood today...  45

0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

... forgot about this...

You can still put in a team for Stage 5!  1

0 likes

#VueltaBurgos
1 Quintana
2 Moreno+7
3 Landa+10

0 likes

I believe Bilbao won from our fantasy game, and the only rider to place in the top 10

Joelsim [1975 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Sorry fella, forgot about this.

My team.

Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana
Quintana

405 points for me today. Joy!

0 likes

Tedeschi topped 1st mountain (6 scorers) and 2nd mountain (4 scorers) and 3rd mountain (6 scorers)

Zeits 3rd at 1st and 2nd sprint (3 scorers),2nd at 3rd sprint. Topped 4th mountain (4 scorers), 2nd 1st and 3rd mountain, 3rd on 2nd mountain

Not got time to do the other riders

You can work it out from the text here: http://www.vueltaburgos.com/clasificaciones-3a-etapa/

0 likes

On the basis that the points are scored as if the big boys are not there (so Bilbao gets 35), mountain points are scored for number of riders scoring, sprints are 3-2-1 points each and the youth prize is counted, I worked out the following scores whilst bored at work:

Total
Bilbao 49
Olivier 49
Losada 33
Tschopp 29
Zakarin 26
Zeits 26
Kozhatayev 25
Belda 23
Tedeschi 21
Davidenok 18
Oroz 17
Klimov 17
Mas Bonet 16
Minguez 14
Duenas 12
Kozontchuk 10
Ignatenko 9
Txoperena 9
Piedra 8
Damuseau 8
Torres 8
Van Rensburg 7
Merino 6
Lammertink 6
Failli 5
Kuchynski 4
Reynes 2
Pomoshnikov 1
Fumeaux 1
Iturria 1

0 likes
Twybaydos wrote:

On the basis that the points are scored as if the big boys are not there...

Damn! Nice, Twy! I just came on to post the scores and found you had already done them!  1 Pretty impressive!  1 Thanks!  1 I'm posting the scores I had already worked out before I came here on the forum (which I also did at work!  4 ) because I think we have some differences...

You have Bilbao with 4 KOM points and I don't have him down for any... I have Tedeschi down as the Lantern Rouge... You have Mondory as not having any points, I have him on the OP list and scoring today... I gave each rider the KOM and Sprint points that the race awarded, which I think I had stated above, etc...

I'll have to check the others, though, more thoroughly... I've got my other spreadsheet with the teams on it at home, so I'll post up the scores later...

Here's my rider scores:

Daan Oliver Team Giant-Shimano 46
Peio Bilbao Caja Rural - Seguros RGA 45
Alberto Losada Team Katusha 33
Mirko Tedeschi Neri Sottoli 31
Johann Tschopp IAM Cycling 29
Ilnur Zakarin Rusvelo 26
Bakhtiyar Kozhataye Astana Pro Team 24
David Belda Burgos - BH 23
Juan JosÈ Oroz Burgos - BH 17
Andrey Zeits Astana Pro Team 17
Miguel Minguez Euskadi 14