Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

dI2 dura ace 7970 and ultegra 6700 owners

anybody own both?

im currently running ultegra 6700 di2 on two bikes but have been offered a complete dura ace 7970 groupset for a very good price

now from what ive read the two systems are not interchangeable (unlike dura ace 9070 and ultegra 6700)

the wiring is different and the ultegra 6700's firmware and diagnostic device wont work with 7970 (but will with 9070)

is there any other issues?

would i be better off staying with my current ultegra 6700 di2?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

kev-s | 9 years ago
0 likes

ive gone and bought it as it was too good a deal to say no  16

not bothered about upgrading to 11 speed tbh

2x10 is plenty for where i live

bike is dry weather use only so no worries there also

the finish is much better and much lighter than 6700

well happy  16  16

macrophotofly | 9 years ago
0 likes

I agree with the above. If you are keen to upgrade then pop in the FD and RD (providing you can take a 11 speed cassette on your wheels) from the newest 6800 Di range - providing you've upgraded to the latest software versions on the rest of your Di kit, it will work perfectly. Did the same on my bike without having to touch anything other than fitting the new derailleurs. They are lighter than the 6700's, give you 11 gears and have a better finish (IMO)

giobox replied to macrophotofly | 9 years ago
0 likes
macrophotofly wrote:

I agree with the above. If you are keen to upgrade then pop in the FD and RD (providing you can take a 11 speed cassette on your wheels) from the newest 6800 Di range - providing you've upgraded to the latest software versions on the rest of your Di kit, it will work perfectly. Did the same on my bike without having to touch anything other than fitting the new derailleurs. They are lighter than the 6700's, give you 11 gears and have a better finish (IMO)

This is why E-Tube is awesome, and also why I would never touch Campag EPS, even if it does look very pretty.

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Personally I would avoid 7970. It was arguably a 'beta' product, before Shimano established its "E-Tube" wiring system. Everything that came after is basically fully compatible/interchangeable, even if Shimano don't officially endorse the combinations. I always felt Shimano should have rewarded early 7970 adopters with a steep discount on an E-Tube system.

The original 7970 uses 4-core cables and requires a heat gun to weather seal the connections. It's only going to get harder to get replacement parts and no upgrade path either.

Latest Comments